Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #1

Tired of Dirt!

Need some help from you guys that have experience with RV parks here in socal. I purchased a Thousand Trails membership for the western and northwest regions. We have stayed at the one in Palm Springs, San Diego, Idyllwild, Descanso, Santa Barbara and Menifee. Everyone of these parks is nothing but dirt spaces, and dead grass. I know I did not pay much for the membership, but really tired of having clean the RV from top to bottom after each weekend trip. I have a Good Sams and Passport America membership as well and need advice at which parks have spaces that are not dirt. I would like not pay any more than $40 a night if possible. Any help and recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

mgjessop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #2

If you look at a weather map you'll see most of California has been in an extreme drought for some time. In some cases the municipal water supply is almost exhausted. I believe there are many places where water management prohibits watering the grass.

It's not a good situation, but it is what it is. Until we figure out how to control the weather there are going to be times when we have to live with what nature gives us.

Just for the record California is not unique. Most of the Southwest and even the Midwest are in the same situation. I hate having to clean the dust and dirt off everything as much as anyone else, but it's been the same everywhere we've gone in the past year. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's in Alaska, Florida, or anywhere in between. The $100.00+ a night places are suffering just as much as the $25.00 a night places.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #3

I typically get to read about the wonderful CA. weather as I sit indoors awaiting spring. So today as we get another 6 to 8 inches of snow adding to the over 80 inches we have had this year its hard to feel bad that you have to wash your RV. Sorry
Old 03-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Just for the record California is not unique. Most of the Southwest and even the Midwest are in the same situation. I hate having to clean the dust and dirt off everything as much as anyone else, but it's been the same everywhere we've gone in the past year. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's in Alaska, Florida, or anywhere in between. The $100.00+ a night places are suffering just as much as the $25.00 a night places.
Ain't that the truth. After 48 states in the past 4 years, we still can't figure out how so much dust and dirt gets in the RV...doesn't seem to matter where we stay or whether or not the CG roads are paved. It's a constant battle...the A/Cs recirculate inside air and when traveling, the front A/C is on 'Max' - recirculating the inside air as well.

However, we especially appreciate those that speed inside CGs blessed with dusty dirt or gravel site access roads...the clouds of dust so adds to that 'campy' feel to the RVing experience.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #5

While i'm sure that there are upscale RV resorts in California that have landscaping they upkeep, i have no clue where they are. Every campground i've ever seen in Cali is dirt, sand or gravel. Just the way it is, California is a semi-arid state and with the rainfall even in a normal year it generally drys up and go brown by May or so.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #6

We've been in SoCal over the past 6 weeks and although we don't stay much at rv parks, there have been a few places without dirt.
Antelope Valley County Fair RV Park - asphalt, FHU, $25/night
Rincon Parkway, Ventura - asphalt along beach, $25/night no hookups
Oasis Palms RV Resort, Thermal - concrete pad with grass, FHU $20/night PA discount

East Shore RV Park, San Dimas - asphalt and grass, FHU $48/night
Old 03-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post
Antelope Valley County Fair RV Park - asphalt, FHU, $25/night
The $25 is for a pull thru. Back in is $20 a night.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
I think what the OP is pointing out is that the spaces he has parked his rig in a particular park have been dirt...or the road is dirt.....A lack of concrete pads and asphalt roads. There are alternative products that can be used in place of dirt such as crushed or decorative stone which has a good look. If you are a CG owner and need to cut your water, than fine come up with an alternative plan to keep your CG attractive. Check out campgroundreviews.com which has a pretty good description and prices of CGs.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #9

We were west (2) month this past summer. Many places were dry and some much worse. We were south this winter and again many places were both dry and cold. We spent a lot of time vacuuming inside and washing dirty clothes. My wife solved the issues as much as possible - I now have installed a Dirt Devil vac and a combo vented washer dryer. Still dirty and dusty but mama will be happier which will make my life easier.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
I typically get to read about the wonderful CA. weather as I sit indoors awaiting spring. So today as we get another 6 to 8 inches of snow adding to the over 80 inches we have had this year its hard to feel bad that you have to wash your RV. Sorry
I feel your pain, I'm all wintered out here in Wisconsin and want to go camping. Jim
Old 03-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #11

Thanks for all the great advice. I would not mind gravel or asphalt, just can't stand parking in soft dirt. I had to buy jack pads because my jack were sinking in the soft dirt or sand at most of the RV parks we stayed at. I live here in San Diego, and pretty much every RV park that is close to the beach is concrete or asphalt and it so nice, but when you get away from the fancy area's the RV parks seem to go down quite a bit in quality. The worst park we stayed out had to be Palm Springs thousand trails. Our space was pretty much all soft sand and we were right next to a 15 foot tall sewer gas vent and every so often the wind would change direction and the smell would slap up side the head and bring you to your knees. However the staff was very friendly and they did comp a night for us. Thanks for the info and I guess it is going to be a lot of trial and error.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #12

What I always do is look up the place on Google Maps and use the satellite view to zoom in and scope it out before hand.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:25 PM   #13

Razzman That is a awesome idea. I will also check to make sure there are no sewer vents located on the site. lol
Old 03-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #14

Being only retired for a few years all of our travels etc are trial and error but I've waited 40 years to be able to travel in our RV. Life out on the road is a daily adventure and I'm up to the challenge . It's way better than working !
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote