Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Toyo's for our coach, no more over priced Michelins with cracking sidewalls after two years for me.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodann View Post
Does "Made in USA" ever enter into the equation? Just a simple thought since we seem to claim to be patriotic. Happens to be my #1 criteria. Am I all alone???? jodann
I don’t consider myself unpatriotic or un-American because I purchased Japanese tires. I'm just as patriotic as the next guy. Goodyear RV tires have a terrible rivering (wear) problem, pure and simple. Michelin makes a very good tire, but if you think all Michelin's are made in the U.S., you are mistaken. Michelin is a French owned company. Some of their tires are made in France, some in the U.S. while others are made in Mexico. I have no idea where their XRV tires are manufactured.

For me it boils down to quality for the money. Yokohama makes a good quality tire, and the $1k I saved over a set of Michelin’s will go along way towards the cost of diesel fuel....ok, not that far, but it’s better than nothing.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
235/80R22.5 and 255/80R22.5 are Michelin only sizes. If your coach came with those size tires and no one else makes that size, you are probably going to replace with Michelin. Michelin probably never thought of that.
They are nearly identical in diameter, tread width and revolutions per mile with standard sizes from other mfg. The 245/75R22.5 is a direct replacement for the 235/80. the 235 is 37.3 in. in diameter, the 245 is 37.1. The 265/75R22.5 replaces the 255/80, and is 1/10th inch larger in diameter.
I am on my second set of Goodyear G670Rv 275/70R22.5 tires, replaced my original XRV 235/80's. The 275/70's are load range H much greater load capacity than the XRV (LRG)-. Diameter is 37.6 inches. Revs per mile, XRV 556- the G670 is 550 that's less than 1/2 mph different at 60mph.
The Goodyears ride well, good traction and wear and I've had no sign of 'rivering'.
I seen photos of rivering, don't know the cause, and don't understand why some tires/RV's ?? are prone to very pronounced rivering and some none at all.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:18 AM   #18
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Also planning on replacing my Michelins (235/80R-22.5 XRV) with another set of Michelins. Have Michelins on my toad and my pick-up truck and I'm satisfied with their performance.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:23 AM   #19

[QUOTE=Craig P.;816573]I don’t consider myself unpatriotic or un-American because I purchased Japanese tires. I'm just as patriotic as the next guy.(/QUOTE)

And therein lies the problem! jodann
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
And therein lies the problem! jodann
Despite the fact that your reply makes no sense, I resent your rude inference.

I would never make such a remark to a member of this forum. I am very proud of my country and risked my life to defend it.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
RV tires are designed to last longer with age (lots of sitting) while commercial truck tires are designed more for mileage. A commercial truck tire can start cracking in a year by sitting.

A commercial truck driver is a lot more concerned about tread wearout than age.
A motorhome owner is a lot more concerned about age than tread wearout.

RV'ers best bet to hold off tire aging is use them. The sidewalls lubricate as they are used.

I use tire covers.. Still a debate about how effective they are.

Tire manufactures say Ozone is the main killer along with just a lack of use. Not UV Also, tire dressings can be harmful and accelerate rubber decay. Manufactures recommend washing with mild soap. Nothing else

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=30

The anti-aging chemicals used in the rubber compounds are more effective when the tire is "exercised" on a frequent basis. The repeated stretching of the rubber compound actually helps resist cracks forming. The tires used on vehicles that are driven infrequently, or accumulate low annual mileage are more likely to experience cracking because long periods of parking or storage interrupt "working" the rubber.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #22

I tend to agree with you David. Mine are approx. 7 years old and not a crack on them. They have held up extremely well as have Michelin products on my other vehicles. I am interested in this thread to see if anyone can point to a "true" savings for an equally reliable tire. So far it seems to be most agree that Michelins are a good tire, but others can be had cheaper and that they SHOULD work fine. Not enough to make me want to change.
kfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #23

To Craig P, I'm sorry if you took my comments as a personal assault on you. In re-reading my post I see where you can take offense.

My intent was to state that you, me (yes, me!), the NEXT GUY & even the next guy, by our decision to purchase products manufactured off-shore are making a contribution to Americas' faltering economy & thereby adding another American worker to the unemployment rolls.

As patriotic Americans, we should, whenever we have a choice (the choice becomes more limited with each day) select the product that says "Made in USA"

I had Michelin tires on a used car I purchased & 'yes' they were very good & had a long lifespan but when the time came to replace them I went to Made in USA Coopers. It gave me a good feeling when I walked out of a Firestone dealer after saying "No Thank You" when they were unable to provide me with an American made tire.

In closing, I guess I try to do my best - often unsuccessfully - to support our workers. All the best, jodann
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #24

I'm happy to buy stuff made in the US even if it's slightly more, and the same quality. These days, sadly, most stuff made in the US is vastly more expensive and or poor design and quality. In the end, by doing forcing American products to compete on quality and price, we are doing them a favor. Otherwise you end up with the GM syndrome.

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #25

This is conversation is good so far, let's make it better.

So for we are in good shape.

I would like to toss in a reminder of one of the "rules" for the conversation here.

The intent of the thread was to focus on the tire, NOT the cost.

Given we do not purchase tires very often, but we seem to buy things like french fries more than we need, saving up the difference in price over the time it takes for the tires to be replaced is simple as ordering less fries over time, $1000.00 is only $2.75 a week over the expected 7 year lifespan.

That is why I specified price was not to be concidered and that all tires would cost the exact same amount, the discussion then is only about how the tire performs as a whole, (drive, mileage improvement due to rolling resistance, manufacturer backing).

If a party has averaged X MPG while using a certian tire, then after they change to Y tire the mileage changes we would like to know.

For those who have changed sizes because the original was Michelin only, then let us know the actual difference, better/worse hill climbing, cornering or fuel mileage.

These are the data you are not likely going to get using random searches or asking the manufacturers, but the users here have been there, done that, so let us know what you have done, would you do it again, or what your next choice would be.

And again, COST of the tire is not on the table, it is a poor excuse as a single point in choosing which tire to buy.

It is a choice for which place to bay a specific tire, not the best factor in selecting which tire.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
but in 1993 or so a set of Kelly tires 265/75R22.5 were installed, they still look like new, ride well (been parked for years) and have no cracking or checks of any kind in any sidewall.
You have at least, over 17 year old tires on your MH.
WOW!!! That still look like new and have no cracking or checks of any kind in any sidewall.

Why are you wanting to get a RV tire? Looks like to me you have found the best tire for your RV.

After having 2 zipper blow outs with the XRV 235/80/22.5 I don't recommend them.

Not sure about the Goodyear G670's yet. My 275/70/22.5 are only 6 years old now and still look like new yet. No cracking after 4 years like the Michelin's do.
I haven't even driven them through any river yet.
Have plenty of tread left for several years yet.
I love my Goodyears
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #27

Not made anymore...

Our thoughts were just that, they are 17 years old so good tire, but Kelly does not make this size anymore.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
To Craig P, I'm sorry if you took my comments as a personal assault on you. In re-reading my post I see where you can take offense.
Thanks for the clarification.

I agree with your overall stance on the subject, I just don't make it my only policy when purchasing products.

I won't bring up my brand tires again since the OP isn't considering price a factor. That being the case, why not just go with Michelin's, as long as they make a tire in your size?

Best of travels...

Craig