Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #1

Tires...Michelin XRV or ???

Yet another thread about tires.

What we have discovered is everyone mostly likes whatever they have, not too many folks like GoodYear and only Michelin makes 255/80R22.5

We do not care for GoodYear, aside from the rivering issue the failures years ago from non-RV tires being used on RV is what we are looking at.

Wide searches on the net regarding application of tires, not relating to brand, one discovers that the old general thought that truck tires were heavier duty than RV tires was wrong.

Truck tires run light sometimes and heavy sometimes, but not a lot of time near high end of the load range where the tires on an RV are running at a constant load, and this is usually towards the upper end of the chart.

Goodyear had what they claimed was a great tire, G159, it still is for trucks, but it failed as an RV tire, I believe there were at least one death and a few lawsuits.

All that being stated, the searches here indicate many choices for tires other than Michelin, our coach had them back in 1989, but in 1993 or so a set of Kelly tires 265/75R22.5 were installed, they still look like new, ride well (been parked for years) and have no cracking or checks of any kind in any sidewall.

We need to change them, the XRV are RV rated, others by other manufacturers will show up when RV is selected but they are not "RV" tires.

We are leaning towards the XRV tire, yes, it is more expensive, means we save a little longer before we buy, so we take price OFF THE TABLE.

So if all tires cost the exact same amount, what is on the market that is specified by the manufacturer as a RV tire?

Of those, what does everyone who has actual history have to say about them?

This one will be fun, only 2 restrictions 1. The tire must be specified by the manufacturer as an RV tire (Class A Motorcoach) to be discussed and 2. You should have direct experience with them, other than that, nothing is off the table, pro/con/brag/complain let's hear it!

The prime focus for us is 255/80R22.5 and 265/75R22.5 replacements, but other sizes are welcome as we all may learn something.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #2

I'd like to hear input on 235/80R 22.5 also. I am due for new tires too. So far Micheln seems to be the only candidate.
kfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Michelin XRV's on my MH are 4 years old and as of now I will replace them with the same when the time comes. I am sure they will "age out" before they wear out.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #4

Who cares if it's labeled an "RV" tire? I just had a set of Toyo 22.5's put on my Journey diesel pusher, and all I cared about was that they be rated at proper weight capacity. The set of six was about $1000 less than Michelins. Like most RV'ers, we time our tires out well before we wear them out. You really don't have to put the exact same size on either.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just replaced two front 235/80r/22.5 XRV's due to alignment problem. Bought the same XRV's. to replace them. The four XRV rears now have about 60,000 miles on them after 6 years and are doing fine.

I'll stay with the XRV's.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Monday will have a set, replacing 255 80r 22.5 Michelin, with Toyo 275 70r 22.5 and will go up one load range. The Michelin are 7 years old and look new, but 7 years. Have son in long haul trucking and they like the TOYO, several trucks and heavy loads. Have friend in fuel trucking and they like the TOYO and he has a Signature with 2 year old Toyo and loves then verses the Michelin. Plus I save a $1000.

LEN
Old 03-24-2011, 10:25 AM   #7

It is more than a label!

There is a lot more than just a label concerning the tire use.

Do a search for Goodyear recall, or Goodyear G159 for one example.

We are not tire experts, but when you are planning to spend a good chunk of money on something that your life depends on, you do not want to make any mistakes, and you do not want to spend more than you need to.

Size does matter, on some more than others.

Width effects dual spacing among other concerns.

Diameter matters with speedometer, engine torque, braking and wheel well clearance.

There are what are considered "exact fit" substitutes where the diameter is so close it does not matter with the width being slightly different, again, one must do their homework to be sure the different tire being installed is correct for their use.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Who cares if it's labeled an "RV" tire? I just had a set of Toyo 22.5's put on my Journey diesel pusher, and all I cared about was that they be rated at proper weight capacity. The set of six was about $1000 less than Michelins. Like most RV'ers, we time our tires out well before we wear them out. You really don't have to put the exact same size on either.
Same here on the Toyos. They ride better than the Michelins I took off.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I for one am not happy with Michelin right now...I have 3 tires that have some sidewall cracking, now real bad, but it's still there. I contacted Michelin and they said that weather cracking was NOT COVERED under their warranty. The tires are 40 months from their DOT date (started talking with Michelin when they were 36 months) they have 12/32nd tread on them (started out with 16/32nd) and have a little over 31,000 miles on them. Michelin of course wanted to know if I had ever used tire dressing on them (would have voided the warranty), wanted to know about weight of coach, air pressure, etc, etc...I produced the paper work on where I had the coach 4 corner weigh, the Michelin book on tire pressure, and jumped through all of their hoops. The District manager decided that as a goodwill to the customer Michelin would allow $200.00 credit on three new tires (at $640.00/ea) I of course had a few choice words and then he upped it to a $300.00 credit....I went back and asked why if the tires only had about 25% tread used why such a low offer? He's now lowered the offer back to the $200...I'm not very happy...besides the motor home, I have 10 cars, a truck, and a 44 foot enclosed car trailer and all have either BFG's or Michelin. I guess I truely expected better from them.

Has anyone have any thoughts about Bridgestone tires? I'm going to replace all eight tires and I pretty sure that I've bought my last Michelin or BFGoodridge tire...
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
Sounds like you are going down the "tire road" just like I am. I put a thread out asking advise on replacing rear/drive 275/70R/22.5 on a recently purchased 2002 Monaco 40DST Diplomat. The current ones are original GY G159's with plenty of thread, only 33k miles, but obviously way beyond their time life which I knew when I bought it. I spent hours on the internet researching tires, talking to local tire shops, reviewing this website, and local RV dealers. The lawsuits against Gooyear over the G159's was a scary revelation...just do a search on "RV tire lawsuits" to wake you up. We don't do extended travel, but want to ride safe/reliable, smooth, and affordable. We're on a limited budget and our town isn't too big, so our choices for local purchase was limited by the forgoing criteria. All the popular brands were beyond our budget, even though I have favored Michelin for years. And some brands weren't locally available in 275/70R/22.5....like Toyo. After all this and recommendations from RV dealers, we finally went for 4 Double Coin in 275/70R/22.5 at for $800 less than Michelin. I hadn't heard of Double Coin before and was a little skeptical, but the specs on this tire, price, and local recommendations won out. I made up my mind not to make another trip with these old G159's !! You can pull up Double Coin's website and check out your particular size. For the 275/70R/22.5 high points it is:
1) Designed for steer and all position
2) 5-rib tread for handling and wear
3) 16 ply (4 steel)
4) PR load range which is 6844# single and 6393# dual (Gives 25,572# for the
rear duals....Monaco rear max is 20,000# which gives me 5,572# cushion).
5) Usual 5 year prorated defect in material/workmanship
6) M speed range
7) 16/32nds thread depth
8) With our California 8.25% sale tax, FET, mounting, balancing was $1,772 for four (4) rears out the door.

So there you have it. Time will tell if we made the right decision.You can spend more and justify whatever tire you have. Bottom line is.....WHAT FITS YOUR NEEDS/ REQUIREMENTS AND WILL DO THE JOB. Maybe this helps.... Good luck in your replacements.
Schrimscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had many of the same questions as you when I began seeking input from other RV owners.

I just replaced my lousy wearing Goodyear 275/70R/22.5's with Yokohama's. I've heard nothing but good reports about them and they were almost $1K less than a comparable set of Michelin's. I have had them on my car for several years and I love them. So far so good with the set on the MH, but I've only had them on for two days.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #12

Does "Made in USA" ever enter into the equation? Just a simple thought since we seem to claim to be patriotic. Happens to be my #1 criteria. Am I all alone???? jodann
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #13

No you are not alone! Made in the USA is a big factor in my choice. Local dealers also are on the A list. I believe in supporting my brother!
kfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #14

I have just replaced my Michelins with another set of Michelins --- that is what my MH came from the factory with. Yes they are higher priced but, I don't set a price on tire safety. I don't care to be in the ditch.