Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2016, 09:16 AM   #15

I side with tha rooster's thinking, you just never know. Like he said, it's the roll of the dice. But still do your maintenance.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2016, 09:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
I side with tha rooster's thinking, you just never know. Like he said, it's the roll of the dice. But still do your maintenance.
I agree that tire buying is a roll of the dice!

However IMO anyone who had a set of 6 Michelin tires sidewall crack in only 3-1/2 years, (like I did), would be a fool to "roll the dice" with, (aka: waste their $$ on), Michelin tires again.
(I know I won't).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I see 2 post talking about they had there tires 10 years, well so did I g670's no cracks looked good boom $7,000 worth of damage 3 months in the shop and not right yet but that's another story never again rolling the dice.
Yeah, that's a shame. You try to save a little money by stretching the tire life and that's the price you may have to pay. I agree with you about not taking the risk again.
RayDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:28 PM   #18

I buy Toyos because Les Schwab stands behind them.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
I buy Toyos because Les Schwab stands behind them.
But Les Schwab stores are only found in 8 western states. What major tire store chain sells Toyos in the rest of the country? There must be one.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #20

I've had both on many different DP over the years. IMO the Michelins always ride better. On the Prevost when it was at Keiser's for an alignment they had to make the control arms adjustable to correct the issue, after that was done and test driving, neither of us thought it was any better (both the tech and myself) and after much thought we changed out the steer's (which were only a couple years old and maybe 20k miles) it was an amazing difference. It was a hard decision because the toyos really looked good, no funny wear, no cracking, nothing wrong in either my opinion or there's. The proof was in the pudding that day! Since then moving onto the dynasty which was bought used came with Toyo's, drove it 3 years before swapping over to Michelins, yes the toyos were 6 years old but WOW was my first thought pulling away from the tire shop and many miles and 4-5 years now I still feel that the ride is still way better then before with the toyos. JMO...
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:50 PM   #21

Toyo M154 to Michelin XRV

When I purchased my RV 3 years ago it came with Toyo M154 tires. I have been very unhappy with the ride. The coach takes every bump, crack, etc. in the road very hard and the coach vibrates if I start to go over 60 mph. I am currently looking into changing the tires to Michelin XRV. I want a smoother softer ride. I see both good and bad reviews on the Toyo's and on the Michelin XRV.

The Toyo's I have on my coach are Toyo M154 (265/75-22.5) made 2012.

Is there a big difference in ride from the Toyo to the Michelin XRV?

Any recommendations?

2001 Fleetwood Discovery
Travel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:12 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

While there may be some difference in sidewall flexability between those two, both are intended for more-or-less the same application and probably do not differ much at all. Ride softness is highly dependent on the tire pressure, and the required pressure is related to the tire size. Any two tires of the same size and general type are going to be very close in ride. Tires designed to yield really high mileage tend to be a bit noisier, and tires designed primarily for city use tend to have a bit sturdier sidewall, but any all-around city & highway tire is going to be a blend that ends up being pretty much the same.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires