Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #1

Angry To Glove Or Not To Glove

As I am sitting here at the window of our RV at PIMA County Fairgrounds another RV'er has pulled in. Watching people set up their rigs is quite a eye opener.

Gentleman is hooking up his sewer, has all the hose out and fiddling around trying to connect it. No gloves. Throws that on the ground....walks over and opens compartment doors and drags out the fresh water hose.....throws that on the ground. Picks it up after wondering around contemplating situation, I guess, now hooks the water hose up, no running any water through it after it has been on the ground. Now back to sewer hose.....back on the ground now.

All this time no gloves!!!

So my question is do you use gloves when connecting your sewer hose?

My all time favorite, was a guy in a California park that disconnected his sewer hose and started swinging it around literally, to get the contents out of it before placing it back in his rig!!!

For the record...my hubby is very particular about this and only does the sewer connecting and disconnecting wearing gloves. Takes those off, washes hands before touching anything else....

Now you know why I never eat with other people....who knows what their hands have touched....
TeresaOwen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I keep both leather and disposable gloves in the wet bay. That way maybe i will remebr to put a pair on!
Old 01-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #3

I've tried the big heavy duty playtex gloves. Hard to get on and take off. If you think about it, you end up pulling one glove off with your bare hand, so what good did it do you. I just scrub like a surgeon at my outside shower hook up using antibacterial soap and a scrub brush after handling the sewer hose and before anything else.

I also ran with scissors as a kid and my play pen had lead paint and I rode my bicycle on the streets and highways without a helmet if that helps any.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #4

I grew up playing with the cat in the sand box......

Quote bygeorge
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaOwen1 View Post
my question is do you use gloves when connecting your sewer hose?
Teresa
I only use gloves if/when it's COLD!
Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #6

I wear gloves when connecting because I have to handle the same cover other people have handled, and I don't know what they may have left on it. I also wear gloves when disconnecting for the same reason.
If it were just our hardware that I had to touch, I probably wouldn't even need the gloves, since the hose has been thoroughly rinsed out by the time I disconnect it.
Sanitation is a funny thing. Some people are downright phobic about it, while others are completely oblivious. Thankfully, the majority of us fall somewhere in between.
I once had a friend remark that if feces glowed in the dark, we wouldn't need lights to see by at night anywhere on this planet. I also know people that dig up old outhouses in search of "treasure", which is a bit more than I can mentally overcome myself.
I tend to think of my waste management as more a consideration of others, as in the case of the guy that swung his hose around the campground to dry it out, or guys at work that don't flush the urinal or wash their hands. Very inconsiderate of others. So, in that vein, I try to be as tidy as I can when setting up and breaking down camp.
Here's a question - does your DH wear his "stinky gloves" while he is operating the handle on the water faucet, or does he take them off? I wonder what the folks before you did, in terms of preventing transfer of cooties from the sewer hose to the water faucet handle.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I keep our sewer hose clean, I keep the basement storage conpartment clean, and when I put the hose into the storage bin I look them together,again no leak. I will still wash my hands after too!!!

Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I wasn't wearing gloves when the deposit was made so why now?

Seriously, you want to know what's really gross? Walking in the dog walk in sandals or flip flops.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
I wasn't wearing gloves when the deposit was made so why now?

Seriously, you want to know what's really gross? Walking in the dog walk in sandals or flip flops.
Or worse.....Barefoot.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I'm a no glove person EXCEPT when pumping diesel. Then I always wear gloves.

I guess that means you will miss the BEST authentic Thai food that anyone would eat this side of the Pacific.

After emptying out the tanks and running clear water through the tanks and hose, I put caps at both ends of each hose section to eliminate drips. After everything is stored, the hands get washed with disinfectant soap before tacking the next job.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No gloves but I hook the hose up when it's dry and if there is any dripping off the hose it gets bleached before it's stored.. So it's clean.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
If you think about it, you end up pulling one glove off with your bare hand, so what good did it do you.
A nurse friend of mine taught me how to remove contaminated latex gloves. First, pinch one glove just below the cuff and pull it off, then scrunch it up in the palm of the other hand. Then place the index finger of the bare hand inside the cuff of the other glove and pull it off. The result is a neat ball of inside-out glove and your bare fingers never touched the outside of the gloves.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I'm a no glove person EXCEPT when pumping diesel. Then I always wear gloves. Dr4Film ----- Richard
X2 on that. I have a specific order of things when hooking up our unit. The sewer is the absolute last thing I do and then wash afterwards, likewise when packing up it is the last thing I handle and then wash.

I tend to think of it this way. How many campground washrooms have you used and there is no soap or even hot water to wash with after? Then you throw those stupid spring loaded faucets they installed in this as well. So one hand is holding the faucet, the other is getting a really good rinse I'm sure, and then to the other hand. (first wash)(second wash) or is it vice versa?

There is a lot of things in our daily lives that....well are not really the best in sanitation, but if you are careful you can minimize it a lot. So if you properly flush and rinse your sewer hose, it's probably not much dirtier than those faucets I speak of.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I'm a no glove person EXCEPT when pumping diesel. Then I always wear gloves.

I guess that means you will miss the BEST authentic Thai food that anyone would eat this side of the Pacific.

After emptying out the tanks and running clear water through the tanks and hose, I put caps at both ends of each hose section to eliminate drips. After everything is stored, the hands get washed with disinfectant soap before tacking the next job.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Ditto
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote