Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2022, 08:52 PM   #1

To leave your coach during repairs or stay with it

If you take your coach in to a shop for a 1/2 day repair would you prefer to stay with it during that time, or just leave it and come back later?

If the shop wants you to leave it and come back at end of day but you think more of your coach and would rather stay with it all day what kind of excuse would you give the foreman to stay with it all the time?

I'm just having my dash air checked for correct level of freon and first offer was to just leave the coach early in morning and come back late afternoon to pick it up. Had to really come up with some good excuses that I could think of but they finally said just be there at 1:00.
This is a diesel truck shop, not a shop that customarlly works on class A motorhomes.

Anyone have a really good excuse? Or makes no difference.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2022, 10:34 PM   #2

I guess it's up to you and your trust issues. Don't leave anything valuable in it that you can take with you.
Old 05-07-2022, 10:42 PM   #3

Remove Valuables and leave it for repairs

OR hang out in the 'lobby' ---customer service lounge until repairs are finished

Course if repairs take DAYS...remove valuables, then leave it
OR ask if you can stay in RV after hours cause you are Full Timer

But if NOT Full Timer...........remove valuables and LEAVE it
OR park other vehicle in shop parking lot and sleep in it

OR discuss your concerns with shop staff and come up with an alternate plan
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 11:07 PM   #4
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit
Remove Valuables and leave it for repairs

OR hang out in the 'lobby' ---customer service lounge until repairs are finished

Course if repairs take DAYS...remove valuables, then leave it
OR ask if you can stay in RV after hours cause you are Full Timer

But if NOT Full Timer...........remove valuables and LEAVE it
OR park other vehicle in shop parking lot and sleep in it

OR discuss your concerns with shop staff and come up with an alternate plan

And if you have a gasser and leave it overnight, assure it will be locked inside 'cause it would be difficult to take that oft-stolen valuable known as a "catalytic converter" with you.

Ray
Old 05-08-2022, 03:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
If you take your coach in to a shop for a 1/2 day repair would you prefer to stay with it during that time, or just leave it and come back later?

If the shop wants you to leave it and come back at end of day but you think more of your coach and would rather stay with it all day what kind of excuse would you give the foreman to stay with it all the time?

I'm just having my dash air checked for correct level of freon and first offer was to just leave the coach early in morning and come back late afternoon to pick it up. Had to really come up with some good excuses that I could think of but they finally said just be there at 1:00.
This is a diesel truck shop, not a shop that customarlly works on class A motorhomes.

Anyone have a really good excuse? Or makes no difference.
We always make "while you wait" appointments. It's not a trust issue, it's a convenience issue. Extra car, gas back and forth, extra travel. And I think they get to it faster if you are pacing the waiting room
We don't give an excuse just tell them your preference
BYoshida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:40 AM   #6

First, any auto HVAC shop should be qualified to service a dash air system, not just a HDT repair shop.
I have experienced, repair shops may rush a job, instead of taking the necessary time to do a job. when a customer is pacing the waiting room floor.

From the business point of view; when the vehicle is dropped off, it may be worked into the schedule as a technician is between large jobs. When a customer is waiting a technician must be pulled off a large job to do necessary repairs for that customer. Then said technician must change their focus 2X for the first large job, this may contribute to errors of omission that would otherwise not happen.

I understand your concerns, however, the business must exercise care with dropped off vehicles or risk damage to their reputation if a customers property is lost or stolen.
I must deal with dropping off our MH at a collision repair center, and leaving it for a month at least. Their insurance does not cover loss of items left in a vehicle there for repairs. That means I must unload everything of value or absorb all property loss while they have our MH.
Bottom line; how much risk are we willing to absorb?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 05:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
First, any auto HVAC shop should be qualified to service a dash air system, not just a HDT repair shop.
Qualified might be one thing... sure they know how a system works and what to check but Are they CAPABLE?

If it's low then what? Would you ask them to just fill or would you want it leak checked?

IMO access to AC compressor on a DP is a little different than opening the hood of an auto. Are their bay /bay doors even sized to allow access or are they working outside?. Has the tech ever seen a DP AC system? Etc, etc, etc

Wouldn't be my first choice, or second or third but that's just one opinion
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:04 AM   #8
tcg

That doesn't sound like the repair or time actually working on your rig is a half day. It sounds like a they will get to it sometime today situation.

If I had no place to go or another vehicle I would ask if I could stay in the rig until they put a tech on it at which point I would go wait somewhere while they do the work.

I have no problem leaving any of my vehicles in service shops, I assume they are trustworthy and for the most part all of them are.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:03 PM   #9

I guess my hesitation on leaving it comes from my experience with other shops supposedly used to working on RVs. Several years ago I had it in a Freightliner shop in Wichita, 90 miles from home, and asked to stay in the coach. Okay. Then after it was run into a stall the mechanic stepped inside and asked me what the problem was with the windshield wipers and what were they doing or not doing?

Wasn't that all written down by the service writer when I checked in? Why is he asking me? Another Freightliner Oasis shop with a different coach removed all the tow equipment on the rear in order to reach the fan bearing (cost $2,400 - much higher if radiator is removed), when a different Oasis shop that couldn't work me in said cost would be less than $2,000 IF they had to remove the radiator.

This shop I'm going to for checking the dash freon only is a diesel truck shop that works on very few large motor homes. How much could they damage moving the coach. The 2 time I have used this shop they let me drive thru all the parked trucks into the bay, with a little guidence from the mechanic. They will not look for leaks but I'm hurting to get some cool air as soon as possible or cancel campground reservations. If it;s anything serious i'm looking at a 90 mile trip to a Freightliner shop, which I have no time for if avoidable for now.

Guess I'm just overly nervous and cautious about going off and leaving the coach to truck mechanics. Thanks for all the thoughts about this.
Old 05-08-2022, 06:34 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I bought my first DP new in 2005. I left it one time overnight and another truck in for repair drove past it and knocked the mirror off. I never left a coach unattended again. I've been lucky (knock on wood), but I've never had an issue that required an overnight other than the one time above. I know that is not the norm and some must leave their coaches. However, for a minor repair, I bring my laptop and my lunch and wait in their lobby.

I always wait for my coach. I rarely disagree with Ray In, but I find they're more apt to push your repair off and stretch it over a couple of days if you're not there. My Freightliner dealer never rushes to fix mine. As a matter of fact, my last repair, two hours' worth of work, took ten hours. They pulled the mechanic off of my coach a couple of times. I got there at 8:00am and they brought my coach out at 6:05pm.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 01:08 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I always stay with it. On several occasions, the techs would not have been able to complete the work without me there to show them where things were. Such as show them where the computer plug in is located or how to access the engine from the inside (remove RV floor section) or how to operate a slide to access the engine.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 03:06 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
We are full time and always stay with the coach.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:18 AM   #13

Interesting. We're on our 3d RV, different dealer for each. Each dealer, making a service or repair appointment meant only that the RV got parked in the going-to-get-worked-on line and that they'd get to it when its turn came, usually a week or two. NO option to deliver the minute they open the doors on day of service.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:32 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
We always stay with our coach. If the repair takes more then one day , we will park in one of their full hook-up spots. That arrangement is made and understood in advance. We have stayed as long as a week on a refrigerator repair to make sure it was working properly. We fulltime.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, repair, repairs