Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2016, 02:50 PM   #29
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
For us it depends. Some places we keep the bay doors locked, while at others we don't worry too much about it, unless we're gone all day. One of the items on my must have list with power bay door locks. So locking and unlocking is not a big issue.

I remember on our last coach that when we parked somewhere for dinner while enroute to a campground I would walk around locking all the bay doors before we went inside. It wasn't that big of a deal.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2016, 04:05 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
...I always lock the doors...
Same here.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Friend of mine who has been an insurance adjuster for a long time said lock them.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:20 PM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
Look at your basement key, I'll bet is says CH751.....
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:13 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Replacing thief damaged doors on my outside compartments would cost much more in time, money and effort, than replacing any of the goods carried inside the compartments. I only lock them while traveling, as I feel the locks might help prevent the doors from opening from bouncing along over rough sections of road.
X2 exactly what we do and why.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:24 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post

Nope ours looks like this

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:40 AM   #35

We live in Ontario close to the Manitoba boarder, so we would drive there often to go shopping etc, in our car, we learned that it was better to have everthing out of the car and leave the doors unlocked then to have a window smashed in. (2)
Others had told us the same thing , rather then have a car full of glass,
Never had any issues after that.
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:14 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I usually lock mine when in transit and attempt to keep them locked when stopped somewhere. In reality, this probably translates to them being locked about half the time.

I once had some items stolen from my S&B, without evidence of forced entry the insurance company would do nothing. I believe my RV policy is the same way. If I want reimbursed for stolen items, there had better be some evidence that I didn't just forget them somewhere.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:18 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
I keep them locked in storage and going down the road, but I tend to leave them open in campgrounds. Anyone who got into one of my bins to steal from them would be rewarded with an extra stinky slinky and its assorted accessories, some lawn chairs and Astro turf mat, a step stool, battery charger and tool box of hand tools. Not exactly the crime of the century.

They are locked in storage because it keeps casual thieves and kids out. Few serious thieves are breaking into RV basements thinking they're going to be rewarded for their risk.

They are locked traveling in the probably vain hope that it will help prevent them from accidentally opening when going down the road.

They are kept unlocked in the campgrounds for my own convenience.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:52 AM   #38

Ours compartments stay locked unless we are accessing them and then are immediately relocked. Our entry door stays locked at all times including when we are inside unless we are in the immediate vicinity of the RV. Why make it easy for people to steal your belongings. And no, we have never stayed anywhere we felt unsafe. We are full timers but would do exactly the same thing if we lived in a house.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:58 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Note mine.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:05 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Excellent answers everyone. I estimate the vote 75% of you for locking. Maybe the criteria for each individual bay is which is more valuable, the contents inside or the door. Never replaced a door so I don't know how much that costs. I keep inside the coach anything that I am not willing to lose to a kid with a crowbar. I am really not worried at all in crowded RV parks, but in sparse campgrounds like in forests, or boondocking in a lonely area, I get really nervous when I leave it to go hiking or motorbiking.
RV Vagabond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:43 PM   #41
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I always lock the storage bay doors! I realize that if someone really wants in there they will get in there, but if we're in an area with other folks around, then the potential thief will be reluctant to try forcing the doors!

Also, it will probably stop kids going around checking for open doors to see what they can steal, mostly just for the thrill of it!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:07 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
Would you rather have your equipment stolen and the storage door busted open, or just have the equipment stolen? Is a locked door enough of a deterrent, or just make someone more determined to find out what valuables you are hiding in there?
Well, some insurance companies will deny a claim if the stolen items were not secured in a locked container or vehicle.
All it takes is a strong screwdriver to pry these flimsy latches open, of course it ruins the door too.
That, IMO, is both sides of this coin.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage