Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #29

Scott 1000 is so thin, it only has one side...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2018, 09:11 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Scott 1000 is so thin, it only has one side...
I haven't tried Scott 1000 in years so it may have gotten a little better since. I do remember it being very thin and therefore took at least twice as much per wipe versus regular paper. It was also rough and not very efficient at taking care of the business at hand.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:11 AM   #31

A couple on YouTube called "The Fit RV" have a video on a toilet paper test. One brand of rv paper did not dissolve in his testing, one brand of regular paper was the best. I'll have to find the video and watch it again and then I'll try to post a link and results.

I worked for the City of Phoenix as a Shop Foreman and we serviced a couple of 1 ton dump trucks that were used to haul the toilet paper, feminine products, and other things that would not break down to the landfill. These were removed from the ponds and up into a chute where they were loaded into the truck beds. Not fun trucks to work on! The rest of the semi solid waste was spread out in drying products and turned into fertilizer.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
We are spoiled in this country and the "me generation" is very resource wastefull. Someday, we will all be forced to change and conserve resources.
I don't think its spoiled, its that we are more educated and smarter about what we do.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:25 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can't believe I'm actually writing about toilet paper!
We discovered Georgia Pacific Preference during a hotel stay. I noticed a stray piece of paper dissolved almost completely in the bowl in a very short time.
I looked for it locally, but it's a commercial hotel grade paper. I ordered a case through Amazon, 80 rolls for $59.
The reason this is important to us is because our sewer system in the S&B is old and has problems, roots, etc. This paper dissolves before it even hits the problem areas.
I figure if it's good for the home sewer, it's even better for the RV.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:34 PM   #34
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We've been using Kirkland brand (Costco) for 9 years and it has done the trick for us.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
I don't think your not putting toilet paper in a public sewer system that was designed for it will make any difference at all.

What about the solids that come out of you?

There may be some room for debate with a septic system but a public sewer system with a waste water treatment facility? Nope, flush the paper.

As cities grow with more subdivisions and population adding additional demand on city sewer systems, these public systems will eventually have to be expanded. If everyone stopped flushing toilet paper, waste water treatment plants would have extra capacity and then not need to expand, saving $$. TP could be used in composting and further reduce your carbon foot print, helping gardens everywhere. Win,win,win!
For the people that think "natural human waste" is gross, I can't help you. It's actually a valuable source of fertilizer, just ask any farmer what he thinks of manure for his crops.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:05 AM   #36
tcg

Quote:
As cities grow with more subdivisions and population adding additional demand on city sewer systems, these public systems will eventually have to be expanded. If everyone stopped flushing toilet paper, waste water treatment plants would have extra capacity and then not need to expand, saving $$. TP could be used in composting and further reduce your carbon foot print, helping gardens everywhere. Win,win,win!
For the people that think "natural human waste" is gross, I can't help you. It's actually a valuable source of fertilizer, just ask any farmer what he thinks of manure for his crops.
Once again I don't think people understand the difference between human waste and animal waste.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:16 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
Once again I don't think people understand the difference between human waste and animal waste.

What is the difference? Please educate me here! I grew up on a farm and cow/horse manure wasn't any different of a waste product then human waste. Some large dog poop even looks just like human waste. I do realize we are dealing with modern day culture here where the average person has lost touch with nature and natural processes.

One day on the farm we even pailed out the septic tank into a manure spreader to spread on a field. I didn't realize the impact that day when dad came into the house and told this 8 year old to put on his bathing suit because he needed help! How many people have scraped the bottom of a septic tank? We stopped putting any paper in the septic system after that.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #38

Quote:
What is the difference? Please educate me here! I grew up on a farm and cow/horse manure wasn't any different of a waste product then human waste. Some large dog poop even looks just like human waste. I do realize we are dealing with modern day culture here where the average person has lost touch with nature and natural processes.

Talking bout large dog poop reminds me of the GS dog we use to have fellow when he would drop it it be bout as big round as a soda water can. Guess me gonna have to get the wife to get some of dat thin toilet paper. Hate it when me fingers poke thru it and me gets some residual chit on me fingers cause I get pretty agressive when I clean up me bottom end. Some interesting info on this here poop. You never to old to learn something.
knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #39
tcg

Quote:

One day on the farm we even pailed out the septic tank into a manure spreader to spread on a field. I didn't realize the impact that day when dad came into the house and told this 8 year old to put on his bathing suit because he needed help! How many people have scraped the bottom of a septic tank? We stopped putting any paper in the septic system after that.
Human pathogens, that's the difference.

If it's no big deal you wouldn't mind a restaurant employee rinsing out a plunger in the dish sink.

Would you?
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:45 AM   #40
Commercial Member

human waste contains pathogens, heavy metals, antibiotics, opiods, and other medicatations unused by the body, and flushed out thru the kidneys, bladder, and colon.
there is a fertilizer made of human waste called milorganite. by the city of milwaukee wi. it list some warnings on the bag.
many third world countries use human waste for fertilizer, without composting. take a look at the rivers in india, and the hong kong bay if you want to see the results.
plenty of water is the key to rv holding tank problems. any septic safe paper is fine. we have used charmin for years without any problem.
what you do with your paper is your business.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:32 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
16 years of full-timing and using regular (Scotts or Costco) all the time. Absolutely no problem. That RV stuff is just a high-priced gimmick.
I agree. Many folks still don't know about the famous toilet paper shake test,
It was a science project by a 9 yr old girl. Per her test, Charmin is only detrimental if you empty your tank every minute.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Toilet paper to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricker991 View Post
I am sure that this has been discussed many many times on this or a different forum but finding is proving to be beyond my limited computer skills

Being still new at this rv thing I have read many differing opinions on the use of rv toilet paper vs regular toilet paper.

Some feel that regular toilet paper is fine as long you use plenty of water and dump often there should be no issues. Others say that using regular toilet paper will only be asking for problems, maybe not now but soon and using rv toilet paper is the only way to go

Just wondering about your opinions on which way to go or if it matters. We have an 18 foot trailer that is used mainly for weekend trips and a couple of two week vacations each year
Scott's 1ply is always recommended at RV Rallies.
willbush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet