Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2018, 10:37 AM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmystoys View Post
...Can you imagine if you didn't put any water, or not enough of it in the tank to begin with!? These are the people, unfortunately, that are probably having the problems and that we have so many stories to talk about.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
Doctor: "Then stop doing that."

hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2018, 04:32 PM   #156

Use what ever you use at home. For us Costco fits the bill.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:42 PM   #157

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
The problems with black holding tanks are "operator problems"!!! TP be damned.
^This. After installing a new toilet (with a great seal) and revamping the black tank flushing system (so that it has high volume across the tank to the drain) I've never had to use special paper nor chemicals. It never smells and when flushing the black tank it fills to the top in 10 minutes. This means whenever it's full I flush it 3x (30 mins total) and you get nothing but clean water out in the end and all the sensors work again.

I don't even put water in after completely draining the tank. That's right, no water. I can do that because the toilet drops a fair bit but...more importantly, my revised flusher aims a high volume stream at the sweet spot directly under the toilet drop.

It's a shame people can't understand the importance of a powerful and complete cleaning and have to resort to all sorts of voodoo and make a really big deal out of it.
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:49 PM   #158

Tiffin Owners Club
Exclamation You have to wonder if they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricker991 View Post
I am sure that this has been discussed many many times on this or a different forum but finding is proving to be beyond my limited computer skills

Being still new at this rv thing I have read many differing opinions on the use of rv toilet paper vs regular toilet paper.

Some feel that regular toilet paper is fine as long you use plenty of water and dump often there should be no issues. Others say that using regular toilet paper will only be asking for problems, maybe not now but soon and using rv toilet paper is the only way to go

Just wondering about your opinions on which way to go or if it matters. We have an 18 foot trailer that is used mainly for weekend trips and a couple of two week vacations each year
It does no good to tell anyone to follow what their manuals very plainly states which is USE RV TOILET PAPER ONLY because there is a large group of people that refuses to "Follow Instructions or Rules" because they know everything and they insist on doing whatever they want to do and to heck with manuals or instructions! They post all kinds of this and that to "JUSTIFY" what they do and tell you to use Charmin or Angel Soft because its okay, NO, its only okay in their own minds! They tell the silly so-called test that they do by putting two sheets in a mason jar full of water and put the lid on and shake it like crazy and you will see it dissolve, NO it don't dissolve, it tears apart and beside that, your RV Tank does not shake up and down and side to side with such intense motions, it simply sloshes side to side and not very forcibly. You have to wonder if these people that says manuals and instructions don't apply to them has a motorhome that burns gas and says to use only "Regular Gas" fills up with the higher grade or even diesel because "THEY WANT TO"? Or if their motorhome uses diesel do they put in gas because "THEY WANT TO"? Don't laugh, they are in that mindset because they don't want to go by instructions but these are the same people that complains and wants free warranty service when their units have a problem when they refused to go by MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS when the problems would have been avoided if they had followed their manuals, but HEY, who does the manufacturers think that they are to tell these people what to do!

If you go by the instructions for your units, you will use RV RATED TOILET PAPER and YES there is a difference, it has no oils or perfumes like Sticks & Bricks Home Toilet Paper DOES have! RV Toilet Paper is what is BEST for Motorhome systems and 5th Wheel Systems and TT Systems and surprise, it does not take a Rocket Scientist to understand why RV Toilet Paper SHOULD be used in these, it just takes a little COMMON SENSE and a NORMAL ego..................

If you have a nice motorhome, they why not treat it with respect and take care of it by following the PROPER INSTRUCTIONS!

RV_Road_Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:54 PM   #159

I am sticking with the Scott 1000. I was in the grocery today and picked up some Scott 1000 for home use when I saw they now have Scott RV toilet paper 4-packs at my grocery. It was priced similar to the Scott 1000 4-pack. But apparently it does not come in the larger economy packs.
TallPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:02 PM   #160

Tiffin Owners Club
Thumbs down Have to say that is wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomson View Post
You can read on the TP package it it can go into septics, or use in an RV. Although there is no difference in the chemical nature of any TP, the post processing, single-ply, double-ply, textured, etc. So the expensive stuff if you feel better; else read the package in the supermarket. A good example is Scott's 1000.
Actually that is not correct, there is a big difference in sticks & bricks toilet paper and RV Toilet Paper. Toilet paper you use in a home has oil, perfumes, softening agents and the paper is a different weight than RV Toilet Paper which has NO OIL, NO PERFUMES, NO SOFTENING AGENTS and a lighter weight to allow it to break-down quicker and more completely than home toilet paper. The silly test people say to use a jar filled with water and put in two sheets and shake it like crazy is simply put RIDICULOUS because it does not break down, the force of you shaking it like crazy tears it apart and no, no, NO RV shakes up and down and side to side like crazy, it is a gentle sloshing from side to side and back to front and while traveling at a fairly constant speed, it doesn't slosh that much..........
Old 10-18-2018, 10:06 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
^This. After installing a new toilet (with a great seal) and revamping the black tank flushing system (so that it has high volume across the tank to the drain) I've never had to use special paper nor chemicals. It never smells and when flushing the black tank it fills to the top in 10 minutes. This means whenever it's full I flush it 3x (30 mins total) and you get nothing but clean water out in the end and all the sensors work again.

I don't even put water in after completely draining the tank. That's right, no water. I can do that because the toilet drops a fair bit but...more importantly, my revised flusher aims a high volume stream at the sweet spot directly under the toilet drop.

It's a shame people can't understand the importance of a powerful and complete cleaning and have to resort to all sorts of voodoo and make a really big deal out of it.
Well, filling and flushing for 30 minutes sounds kinda voodooish to me!

We've never had a rig with built in tank flush plumbing. We've never ever had an issue so I honestly don't see the need for it. As far as adding water to the tank, never have after the dump. A little bit gets added when we set up camp.

Not trying to change anyone's mind of course,, just stating what has worked fine for us the last 30 something years.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:06 PM   #162

Tiffin Owners Club
Thumbs down Bad advice..................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperbob11 View Post
Use what ever you use at home. For us Costco fits the bill.

TOTALLY BAD ADVICE!!! Does your Newmar Manuals tell you to use whatever you want to use? NO, I think not, they say to us RV RATED TOILET PAPER ONLY, and that is for a good and valid reason!!!

Old 10-18-2018, 10:35 PM   #163

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Road_Trip View Post
TOTALLY BAD ADVICE!!! Does your Newmar Manuals tell you to use whatever you want to use? NO, I think not, they say to us RV RATED TOILET PAPER ONLY, and that is for a good and valid reason!!!

Trolling ?
Mark 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:14 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Road_Trip View Post

Wow...

Good for you for following then manual, and it’s great that it works for you, and that you are happy (or maybe not...I count 17 mad emojis).

However, many of us crazy folk live life on the edge, and we go wild with non-RV toilet paper...and we are happy too. For us it works with zero issues, it’s way less expensive than RV toilet paper, we can find it anywhere, and it certainly feels better on the bum.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #165

We are reckless and must have a death wish because we also like to live on the edge and use Angel Soft. I also removed the tag on our mattress, believe it or not. If we can't be a good influence, at least we can be a bad example...
Old 10-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #166

Angel Soft AND mattress tag removal?!? RADICAL!!!

I suppose you believe the Earth is round not flat, it orbits the Sun, and the Moon landing was real?
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #167

Sure, you think I am crazy, don't you? The voices tell me to do it, so it is not my fault!
Old 10-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #168

Some have said we are beating dead horses here. Myself, I find this to have all the ingredients that make for a good thread. It's educational (somewhat), shows how diverse we all are, includes drama, and above all, brings a smile to most of our faces!

Myself, I'm pretty sure I've broken my own record for number of replies in a single thread.

Wait a minute,,, The world is round?

Tags
toilet