Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Keep or sell
Keep 5 15.63%
Sell 27 84.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #1

To store or sell?

We bought our truck and camper last summer and then in December I unexpectedly got orders to Hawaii (I'm military). We have about $10k equity in the truck and another $15k in the camper.

My Dad has offered to store both for the 3 year assignment. It will be outside, uncovered but safe. The truck will be driven about 100-150 miles a month to keep it running okay.

Warranty for the truck is for 5 years, camper is 2 years. I'll have 2 years remaining on the truck but none on the camper.

If we keep them, I intend to use both for three weeks during our second year when we return to visit. I'd expect to need new tires and batteries upon returning after three years.

If we sell, I'll save the $1k per month that I would have been sending per month as payments. This would be around $40k after three years. It would also save us some money on insurance.

So my question is should I keep the or sell them? I have concerns of the rv sitting that long and having issues later which wouldn't be covered under warranty.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Sell...Put the $$$'s in savings...When you get out you'll have a nice chunk o'change for your next RV...Good Luck and Thank You for your service....D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #3

What you have is, two depreciating assets. They will sit outside in the elements for 3 years. The truck may survive because your Dad may choose to drive it occasionally to keep it "fresh" so to speak, but you still make the payments. The trailer is subject to water damage from leaks, rodent damage, vandalism, battery will be ruined, tires dry-rotted, etc.
I would sell those depreciating assets, invest the money wherever you choose and buy new (to you) truck and trailer when you are ready.
Thank you for your dedication and sacrifice to your fellow Americans!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:43 AM   #4

Bump for the morning crowd. Results are leaning towards selling.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:22 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Don't hang on to them, they will only depreciate in value and setting isn't good for them .
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Sell any depreciating asset if you are not going to use it for years to come. Those are material items which can be replaced anytime anywhere. Unless of course you have an emotional attachment to the item in which case it will cost you money.

I am a full-time RVer, have been for over 7 years. had my coach in storage for a mere 6 months and had all kinds of issues when putting it back in service.

As I travel around the country and witness 1000's of RV's not being used on these storage lots, I can only think about the money being spent for not only the monthly storage fee but also the maintenance it takes to repair the RV after it is pulled out to use for a weekend or more.

SELL - SELL - SELL !!!

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #7

If you think you would replace them in three years when you return, I would strongly consider keeping them. You have already taken the depreciation hit, and the cost of any maintenance to bring them back up to prettiness at the end of the three years will still be less than the loss from selling now and buying again later. Get some good tarps and cover up the camper, and have your Dad drive the truck as much as he can; I bet it will cost minimal funds when you get back.

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #8

Sell truck keep camper

First question Do you like the camper?

If the camper is good and you like it, then selling it will only set you up to buy another one later, so if you like it, keep it, if you were thinking about upgradeing anyway, seel now as worth more now than later.

The truck is going to loose value fast, since you cannot use it then sell it, when you need a truck again buy another one.

Or think about getting a MH later, sell both and buy MH...

You have some personal thinking to do to consider for what is best.
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Sell the depreciating asset, it won't matter that it has had little use it will still depreciate. If you have the self control put the equity you recover plus continue to make the $1000.00 payments and put them away for when you return. 3 years of inflation will eat up the 3 years of interest but you will still be in a better situation than you are now. I also agree with others, the most problems seem to occur when you are not using it. In another three years you may also decide to do something different.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Abnmarine,
I know this is not what you asked, but have you considered shipping the ensemble to Hawaii? Use it while you are there.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Gary has a good option unless you are going to a little island. Another option would be to take just the truck, drive it there for the three years and sell it there when you leave. Years ago when I was transferred to the US Virgin Islands I paid my shipping for my own vehicle and did pretty good when I sold the vehicle before I left.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #12

I was in your situation a number of years ago and kept both. They were in my FIL's yard...he let my BIL use them. Never winterized them and ruined all the water lines...they were copper back then.

We did have a boat for an overseas tour, shipped it at our expense, that worked out okay. Shipping a truck and RV would be very expensive...Uncle Sam will not pay for those items.
hooverbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #13

We love the Cameo 5RV. Minus a three day outing, its still new. I understand the depreciation value.

I don't think shipping them to Hawaii is an option as I'd have to pay for daily storage too. Would love to be able to camp all year though.

Saving the money isn't an issue. I'd set up an allotment to a different account. While happy to go to Hawaii, I'm also disappointed because I really enjoy camping and we now have a nice setup.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
O what to do???. You also have to think about insurance to cover it while gone. If you had a indoor storage option (heated in winter) I would say go ahead and keep the RV. But storing it outdoors even under a RV cover it will take a beating.

Actually the Cameo 35 SB3 is the floorplan my wife and myself love...If only we could back it up my drive. I have no problem backing up our 25' bumper tow RV, even blindfold into the drive, but a 36 5er, I'm not sure how one turns.

Being relocated to HI. don't you get to ship one vehicle ??? "free". We have family in the Army and they we able to ship one car every move.

Their last move to Ft. Wainwright Alaska you would see loads of RV's for sale in the Army storage lot. They ended up retiring there 2 years ago....A good deal of people up in Alaska have RV's.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote