Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #29
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot
After frying all of the electrical components in my first RV and then losing a couple of appliances in the RV I now have, I installed surge protection about 3 1/2 years ago. The SurgeGuard has deteted bad power 2 or 3 times since it was installed.

I have a hard wired SurgeGuard that I installed as a portable by putting a plug on one end and a receptacle on the other end. If it ever fails I can unplug and bypass it. If it does fail, I will be replacing it with a unit from Progressive Industries.
I installed a portable PI in my basement as I couldn't fit the hard wired one in a dry place near the transfer switch. It works well and is out of site and I can bypass it as you stated. Here's a photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2170455176.png
Views:	163
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	19698

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #30

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I have a hard wired SurgeGuard that I installed as a portable by putting a plug on one end and a receptacle on the other end. If it ever fails I can unplug and bypass it.
Great idea. You've made up my mind. That's how I'll install my portable in-line inside the compartment.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #31

100% in favor of all the protection you can get after finding out my brotherinlaw had been hired as a maintence person in an RV park and was rewireing pedistals. I have the Progressive EMS-LCHW 50 hard wire unit wired ahead of the transfer switch and after reading these post and looking at all the potential problems with multiple connections I plan to remove one more potential problem from my install and move the protector to after the transfer switch. Remember each connect point has the potential for an open neutral not so bad on a 30 A but disaster on a 50A 240V feed
56 Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #32

I picked up a Progressive Industries, RV Smart Surge Protector, Model: SSP-50 (plug-in). Hope that will serve me for now. I even got a good discount.

Thank you all for the information and the convincing. Its hard to seperate me from my money.
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCal View Post
I picked up a Progressive Industries, RV Smart Surge Protector, Model: SSP-50 (plug-in). Hope that will serve me for now. I even got a good discount.

Thank you all for the information and the convincing. Its hard to seperate me from my money.
If you had not put in some protection, there would have been many other risks to take even more money from you.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:31 AM   #34
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCal

It will serve you. I had one for two years. Just be aware that it doesn't protect you from high and low voltage. You need to monitor that your self.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ssp_50.htm

A progressive 50 amp surge protector EMS will.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_pt50c.htm

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:37 AM   #35

We just had a power outage here in our park and lost power to several wall outlets, the fireplace, and the fridge. I'm pretty sure we took some kind of serious damage to one of our inverters but I hoping no damage to the wiring. I did plug the extremely large fridge/freezer into an extension cord and it still works (thank god) but I can't get the fireplace working. Trust me a Progressive Industries Surge Protector is on my list when I bring the Travel Supreme in to have the problem fixed.
I don't know why something like this wouldn't come standard on a high end RV.
Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:51 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilrah View Post
We just had a power outage here in our park and lost power to several wall outlets, the fireplace, and the fridge. I'm pretty sure we took some kind of serious damage to one of our inverters but I hoping no damage to the wiring. I did plug the extremely large fridge/freezer into an extension cord and it still works (thank god) but I can't get the fireplace working. Trust me a Progressive Industries Surge Protector is on my list when I bring the Travel Supreme in to have the problem fixed.
I don't know why something like this wouldn't come standard on a high end RV.
I would check to see if a GFI has tripped someplace in your coach. Even check on your inverter as there may be a couple of circuit breakers there too.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
And after further review...

I recently got the Progressive Industries 50A hard wired EMS. I was about to make the install between the cord and the transfer switch and somehow I wound up reviewing some old work orders from the previous owner. There I found the replacement of two tvs and something else electronic with a diagnosis of excess voltage coming from the generator.

Anyway, I wound up making the installation between the transfer switch and the coach wiring. I know I'm sacrificing the transfer switch to any spikes/problems but I wanted a more complete protection for the electronics inside.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
I just ordered a new PI 50 amp. Comes with a lifetime warrenty. I had another brand. It suffered a catostrophic failure when switching from gen to shore. Nonrepairable, only a 1yr warrenty and it was less than 2yrs old. Felt like a loss of $300. I dont believe there was voltage shock, the relay had been making noise for about 2 weeks before. At least with PI you get lifetime warrenty and assistance.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #39

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageksl View Post
I recently got the Progressive Industries 50A hard wired EMS. I was about to make the install between the cord and the transfer switch and somehow I wound up reviewing some old work orders from the previous owner. There I found the replacement of two tvs and something else electronic with a diagnosis of excess voltage coming from the generator.

Anyway, I wound up making the installation between the transfer switch and the coach wiring. I know I'm sacrificing the transfer switch to any spikes/problems but I wanted a more complete protection for the electronics inside.
I've never heard of generator spikes, and would be interested if anyone else has experienced or heard of this -- but I think you make an excellent point. I would prefer to sacrifice my TS in favor of the rest!
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageksl
I recently installed a hardwired Surge Guard 50 in the same place for the same reason (protection for surge AND over/under voltage from BOTH commercial and generator power).

I do realize the circuit board in the transfer switch is not surge protected.

Gil
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #41

We have a Progessive Industries portable surge protector and it has saved us twice about Rv park power problems. However the best save had nothng to do with the RV Park itself. Lightning struck the power transformer that feeds the park. Those in our group without protectors got plenty of electrical damage from the strike. Our protector gave up it's life, but we received no damage. one week later we had another protector. I wouldn't be without one.

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #42

So if I am reading this correctly, I can use a portable surge protector inside the electrical compartment in the basement? It does not need to be out by the pedestal? I understand that I would have to use a "extension cord" and that cord would be at risk. But I would rather not have the surge protector in plain site of thieves.
srt20 is offline   Reply With Quote