Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #57

Don't take the risk, purchase a surge protector

We worked at a campground in NC the past several years. What you'll find at some of the older campgrounds is undersized wiring given the demands of the newer rigs. The net result of this is low voltage in some cases which could damage your A/C & other equipment. Between two of our hosts who didn't have surge protectors they lost 2 A/C units, an external icemaker & an external freezer.

A good surge protector protects your rig from both over & under voltage situations. I personally recommend the Progressive.
jimws is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #58

National RV Owners Club
I have the portable Progressive Hi/lo and was really wondering if it was worth buying until I pulled into my sil's mobile home park that has two spots for visiting family rv's. I have been there several times and never had a problem, this time my surge protector paid for it's self. It identified an open ground. The guy behind me said the park had just had an electrician in working on this power pedestal. I hooked up to the one next to me and the 50 amp on it was good. Don't know what would have happened, but sure glad I had the surge protector so I didn't have to find out. BTW, I chain and lock mine.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do I need a 50 and 30 amp surge protector?
KWEtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWEtch View Post
No. If you have a 30 amp unit, obviously you don't need a 50. And if you have a 50, the surge protector will work even if you're connected to a 30 amp outlet.

joe
Old 06-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWEtch View Post
Absolutely NOT.

Don't waste your money on a Surge Protector.

Instead, spend your hard earned money on a Progressive Industries EMS unit. Whether you buy a 30 amp or a 50 amp is totally up to you however, if you have a 30 amp rig you can buy either one, if you have a 50 amp rig it is only common sense to buy the 50 amp unit. For people that currently own a 30 amp rig, by purchasing a 50 amp unit and later they decide to upgrade to a 50 amp rig, it can be transferred to the new rig easily.

The Progressive Industries will check ALL characteristics for the quality of the shore power PRIOR to allowing the power into the coach. If ANYTHING is out of spec, low or high voltage, low or high HZ, open ground or neutral, the unit will NOT allow the damaging power to get into your coach.

It's the best device anyone can buy for their rig.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:22 AM   #62
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film

Absolutely NOT.

Don't waste your money on a Surge Protector.

Instead, spend your hard earned money on a Progressive Industries EMS unit. Whether you buy a 30 amp or a 50 amp is totally up to you however, if you have a 30 amp rig you can buy either one, if you have a 50 amp rig it is only common sense to buy the 50 amp unit. For people that currently own a 30 amp rig, by purchasing a 50 amp unit and later they decide to upgrade to a 50 amp rig, it can be transferred to the new rig easily.

The Progressive Industries will check ALL characteristics for the quality of the shore power PRIOR to allowing the power into the coach. If ANYTHING is out of spec, low or high voltage, low or high HZ, open ground or neutral, the unit will NOT allow the damaging power to get into your coach.

It's the best device anyone can buy for their rig.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Great advice.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #63

I bought the EMS-HW50C,now feel safe hooking up
to shore power. Should be one of the first things you
buy for your rv,not wait until you have an electrical
problem, like I did cost me $1600.00 then I bought
one.
1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #64

National RV Owners Club
My EMS-HW50C saved me in Feb when it identified an open ground at a spot where I have plugged into several times in the past at a Mobile Home Park. Buy the 50 amp and you can use the 30amp pigtail.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I paid about $350 for one and hubby mounted it inside before the ATS and after the cord for the motorhome, that way we don't have to worry about it getting stolen. Its a TRV 50 AMP surge protector.

PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #66

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCal View Post
I hope this is in the correct section. I'm almost afraid to ask because I'm getting a complex. Seems my questions start range wars and heated debates.

Well. Here goes. We all know there are plug in RV Surge Protectors on the market. I see the advertisements that state, (something like) "this motor home was burned down by this campground's power supply. Our Surge Protector would have prevented this."

Now. Being over thirty (more than once. O.K. more than twice.) I have seen a lot of advertising. Some very convincing. I like facts and not a lot of what-ifs or could-happens.

I have never seen or heard of an RV having a fire caused by a campground's electrical power supply. I don't remember seeing anyone using a plug in RV Surge Protector.

O.K......finally.......Do you use an in-line plug in RV Surge Protector? Why?

And, please folks, don't start flamin' and arguing with each other about the answers. We all have differing opinions and convictions. Thanks.
I was pretty much of the same thought and just this weekend I learned something from the manager of a nearby rv park. The manager, Mike, had plugged into a 50 amp pedestal at Cabela's in Nebraska and the pedestal had been wired wrong. His bedroom TV literally caught on fire and caused quite a bit of damage to his 5er before he could get it out. He said from that point on he's always done a 2 step process on hooking up to power. First he plugs a circuit tester into the pedestal to see that it's wired correctly. Then he hooks up his surge protector.

I've carried a circuit test on board since we got our mh, but never thought to use it on a pedestal. The tester I'm referring to is a simple device with a 15 amp, 3 prong plug and 3 lights. There's a legend on the unit that shows the light patterns for any wiring issues. It would need to be adapted down to 15 amps, but it sounds like a worthwhile pre hook up procedure.

I'm in the process of building my own surge protector with a camco power grip 50amp 18" extension cord. The covers are removable and there's room inside to wire mov's (metal oxide varistors). They're the most common form of surge protection.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good thought on the wiring test. Here is a basic example of what you share. http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/tester_30amp.htm
Old 06-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
Root of this site has some interesting info as well. He has some interesting thoughts on EMS solutions ability to react fast enough. http://www.myrv.us/electric/
Old 06-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #69

As far as I can determine, the only things on my motorhome that are full-tine AC powered are the microwave and the TV Set. If I out the selector switch for "microwave/AC Water heater" to the center off position Only the TV set is on campground ac power. I'd like to replace the TV anyway, so if I get blasted by a power surge, it's a good excuse.

I don't see spending $300 or so to prevent something happening that would be a blessing in disguise!
Old 06-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
what about the air conditioner? and the power converter? and anything else plugged into the 110 outlets?