Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2018, 12:11 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Toad Aux Braking System

Hi everyone;

In the market to purchase a auxiliary braking system for our Honda I am leaning toward the MSI by Demco Duo System that mounts under the hood.
Anyone have any pros and cons for this system.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I tow a Honda CRV and use the NSA ReadyBrute Elite towbars with built-in ReadyBrake. The ReadyBrake is the least expensive braking system out there. It is simple yet effective!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #3

Toad Aux Braking System

Just had the demco stay and play installed. Have to say so far I love it.

Proportional so if I’m just easing on the brakes in the coach the Toad brakes don’t engage. If I brake harder they do.

One switch under the dash - turn on and go. When done turn off and go in the Toad.

Uses power brakes on our Toad so also had a charging line run to keep the battery charged. Ours stays off and just put 6 speed in neutral and emergency brake off.

The other thing our installer did was run the light for the Toad brakes engaged to the dash of the coach. Much easier to see than having to look at the one on the dash of the Toad in the rear view camera.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:32 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
also looking at the stay in play

where did you have your unit installed and what did the install cost? the light on the dash in the motorhome sounds like a real good item.
j-mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:43 PM   #5

Toad Aux Braking System

Had the install done locally at a smaller independent near us in Ohio.

Sine we didn’t have anything yet and a new Toad (2018 Hyundai Elantra sport) has to buy everything (towbar,baseplate,braking system,light hookup with diodes etc etc). Also includes three locking pins with matched keys so on longer trips we can lock all three. Shorter just using the one on the towbar side.

Adding up all the parts would have been around 4K to buy everything. I got it all in for about 5 so total install from my perspective was about a grand total for everything including road testing to verify the surge setting as well. Probably made more than that if he gets better discounts on the parts but did an excellent job overall.

Was scary taking a brand new car to have it torn apart to get setup.

Not sure if he custom did the wiring for the light in the dash but it is really nice having it right there. Easy to see when they engage.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks, we are looking for a good shop to have the system installed on our 2014 Honda crv which we will be towing behind a new Phoenix Cruiser. We pick up the MH in Elkhart. we lived most of our lives in various towns in Ohio.
j-mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:10 PM   #7

itcboyd73-

I installed a Stay-in-Play Duo in our Honda Fit in 2014, and it has worked well for about 15,000 miles of towing. The one problem so far was a failed breakaway switch about 1,700 miles ago, since replaced.

Here is a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts in this forum that contain the term "Duo." The results are the same as if you put the term "Duo" in the "powered by Google" search box at the top of this page.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mar View Post
Thanks, we are looking for a good shop to have the system installed on our 2014 Honda crv which we will be towing behind a new Phoenix Cruiser. We pick up the MH in Elkhart. we lived most of our lives in various towns in Ohio.

We are just outside Delaware. Shop is Sunbury address not too far from us.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:50 PM   #9

Brake Buddy Stealth gas been good to us
Old 06-22-2018, 06:51 AM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
MSI by Demco

Gumpster808;

We live in Westerville and are communicating with Wilson RV to provide and install our system. He has a great reputation for RV maintenance.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:55 AM   #11

Perfect choice. He is the one that did ours. He is also the one that recommended installing the light for the Toad brakes engaged on the dash of the coach.

Did great work.

Even spent about 45 minutes talking me through his recommendations and why even before we scheduled anything.

Verbal quote was right on as well.

Good choice!
Old 06-22-2018, 07:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I tow a Honda CRV and use the NSA ReadyBrute Elite towbars with built-in ReadyBrake. The ReadyBrake is the least expensive braking system out there. It is simple yet effective!

I also have it and like it. Nothing to install or remove from the car each time you use it. No electronics to break, it's all mechanical and petty much bullet proof. I have a light on the dash that tells me when the tow bar is braking the car. It is proportional.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:08 PM   #13

I echo Tim's recommendation of the NSA system. We have used it on three different cars, and it works really well. It's simple and easy to hook up and needs no external power or connections.

Highly recommended.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad