Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkey View Post
stuccosteve,
All I had to do was agree to pay the deductible, which was $500, but in reality he said $250 would be fine as he padded some of the labour costs to cover this.
Really? And we complain when our insurance rates go up.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2019, 02:35 PM   #44

The calls to get a lawyer involved are off the mark, IMO.

There are really three different issues facing the OP. First, there is the question of whether or not the damage was caused by a malfunction of the car systems. If so, this issue would lead to coverage by the car's warranty with all costs of repairs or replacement carried by the manufacturer. This is the area where it may be difficult and costly to prove the case. Lots of research and follow-up on similar issues with that car. This may or may not end up in court, but it would certainly put a financial burden on the OP and would require an attorney who might take the case on contingency. Regardless, it would likely be a long time before settlement is reached. Threatening to involve a lawyer is only useful if the OP chooses to go down this path.

Second issue is whether or not the damage is as extensive as described. This can be pursued without a lawyer and, in the long run, could benefit both the OP and the insurance company. In this situation, the OP is "fighting" to convince the insurance company to reconsider the damage and proceed with repair rather than total the car. The manufacturer is not involved, though the dealership may be as they are the ones that determined the damage. Tough to prove without outside "experts" to assess the damage as much of what has been posted is subjective.

The third issue is settlement amount from the insurance for replacement. Again, no lawyer necessary or desired. This is done, as many have mentioned, through homework and research of prices of cars of equal quality and condition. Classic battle between insurer and insured that many have gone through.

Bottom line, the OP will decide which issue to pursue, and a lawyer is not always the best resource to call up.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:46 PM   #45

Just a thought; my neighbor bought a 2019 Jeep, she was going to town, opened the driver door, then noticed 2 windows were partially open. She took it to the local Jeep dealer who diagnosed the problem and found one of the computers was faulty.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:37 PM   #46
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have a question.....what proof does the dealer have that an electrical malfunction didn't cause the sunroof to open during the electrical mishap. I know everyone says to get an attorney, but in this case, you might think about it.

Often these companies try to intimidate you into thinking they're not responsible....many fold and walk away. I would demand that they prove to you that the window was open and not caused by an electrical malfunction that caused it to open.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:39 PM   #47

Freightliner Owners Club
Don't be afraid of using the lawyer card, a good adjuster's first loyalty is to his employer and will try to save his company money. Too many people think they are "stuck" with their first offer. I would definitely get the car in my possession or stored where I have control of my property. Good Luck
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:50 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
The calls to get a lawyer involved are off the mark, IMO.

There are really three different issues facing the OP. First, there is the question of whether or not the damage was caused by a malfunction of the car systems. If so, this issue would lead to coverage by the car's warranty with all costs of repairs or replacement carried by the manufacturer. This is the area where it may be difficult and costly to prove the case. Lots of research and follow-up on similar issues with that car. This may or may not end up in court, but it would certainly put a financial burden on the OP and would require an attorney who might take the case on contingency. Regardless, it would likely be a long time before settlement is reached. Threatening to involve a lawyer is only useful if the OP chooses to go down this path.

Second issue is whether or not the damage is as extensive as described. This can be pursued without a lawyer and, in the long run, could benefit both the OP and the insurance company. In this situation, the OP is "fighting" to convince the insurance company to reconsider the damage and proceed with repair rather than total the car. The manufacturer is not involved, though the dealership may be as they are the ones that determined the damage. Tough to prove without outside "experts" to assess the damage as much of what has been posted is subjective.

The third issue is settlement amount from the insurance for replacement. Again, no lawyer necessary or desired. This is done, as many have mentioned, through homework and research of prices of cars of equal quality and condition. Classic battle between insurer and insured that many have gone through.

Bottom line, the OP will decide which issue to pursue, and a lawyer is not always the best resource to call up.
it sure sounds like a lawyer is going to be needed to keep the ins. co. honest, this go's for the dealer also. I think they are low balling this guy and hope he just goes away. the insurance co. needs to get a couple independent appraisals to see if the damage is really that bad .probably to late now that its set for 6 weeks or more. it could have been dried out with a dehumidifier. like i said the lawyer word will probably really get them jumping to help this guy.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:26 AM   #49

Note that the sooner the vehicle is dried out (which likely will require the carpet to be at least lifted for ventilation) the more likely limited damage.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:29 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Note that the sooner the vehicle is dried out (which likely will require the carpet to be at least lifted for ventilation) the more likely limited damage.
yep the dealer or owner should have had the seats and carpet and padding removed, then any standing water wiped dry, then a dehumidifier put inside for several days. then evaluated for any problems.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:57 PM   #51

I pay a little more and a stated value for my vehicles and Tuscany

The OP reminds me why
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:14 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLowell View Post
I say the car will be re sold by a dealer for full retail price.
He was Smiling All the time.
$10 thousand $s in his pocket.
With a salvage title? Not likely.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:41 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
With a salvage title? Not likely.
Could be Steve
It would certainly depend on what whomever buys the car pays for it.
And I have seen dealers sell cars like this for amazing prices even with a salvage title.
Dealers are in business to make $s.
Lots of $$$s
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:48 PM   #54

National RV Owners Club
Most newer BMWs have the computer control on the drivers side under the rear pillar in the trunk area. They are not moisture proof. If they even get a small amount of water on them the car will do crazy things. Ask any window tinter familiar with BMW. A couple of squirts from a hand spray bottle being squeegeed down into that corner without a towel there to catch it and you are toast.
The good part is if you put the car in the sun and let it dry out a while everything will be fine.
2014 and up Grand Cherokees and Durango have the same issue with the front windshield.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:08 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuccosteve View Post
I should note that during the time I was near the car, approximately a entire week, it seemed fewer fault codes were present.
Put a REAL dehumidifier in the car, set it to continuous operation, feed the electrical cord through the sunroof or whatever, and leave it out in the sun all day long for several days.

Have the dealer clear all codes when you think it's done and then re-evaluate the situation. If you park it in the sun with the windows closed and you get condensation on the the inside of the windows you still have moisture in the car.

Just so you know, when I repair circuit boards or design circuit boards, when done every one gets submerged in 60c water and ultrasonically cleaned. If you look at many circuit board factories you will see they often have row after row of dishwashers. This is where they put the circuit boards after they have been assembled for cleaning.....
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:52 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyof5 View Post
I still can't get my head wrapped around the sun roof being open an inch and somehow got enough water into sealed electrical connections to make that much trouble.
Did I miss something? 20 mph winds blowing from the back to front of the car? Just confused.
Many of the control modules ie engine transmission air bag etc are mounted on the floor under the seats. If water intrudes into these modules it can impact there function, which apparently is what happened with this fellow. Modules and wiring along with carpet would have to be replace to insure a permenant repair. In the case of a BMW I would bet the modules are several thousands of dollars, thus the total loss.
WHOOVER770 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, led