Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2022, 10:37 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Toilet over flowed, I don't understand

Just.. UGH
I don't understand, I intentionally filled the black tank to give it a good cleaning with unique sensor stuff. Figured while I was at it I'd do the grey water with dawn. Got the red full light on black tank and stopped. Ran shower and grey came up a couple, but not full. So I started filling from bathroom sink too for a while and all off the sudden the toilet is over flowing. Is that sink connected to the black tank? Damn thing was gurgling, I should have looked... sigh
lorim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2022, 10:48 AM   #2

Yep! Usually a grey water source is connected to the black tank so it will provide extra water to disperse the black tank contents.

I have learned many things the hard way. Hopefully you didn't have too much to clean up!
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:52 AM   #3

Many bathroom sinks are connected to black tanks. I don't your MH's floorplan, but many have a sink and toilet one one side of an RV and a shower on the other side. It's easier and cheaper to plumb the sink into the black tank than the gray tank.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:52 AM   #4

I assume your rv is the one in the picture. If so should have separate grey and black water tanks. Sinks and showers should go into grey water tank. Is it possible you overfilled black. Part of your issue may be if you put dawn in your grey tank you’ll get a lot of suds or foam. That may be the cause of your gurgling. Any detergent you put in your tanks should be non foaming or HD.
Warhorse6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorim View Post
Just.. UGH
I don't understand, I intentionally filled the black tank to give it a good cleaning with unique sensor stuff. Figured while I was at it I'd do the grey water with dawn. Got the red full light on black tank and stopped. Ran shower and grey came up a couple, but not full. So I started filling from bathroom sink too for a while and all off the sudden the toilet is over flowing. Is that sink connected to the black tank? Damn thing was gurgling, I should have looked... sigh
I donít know what coach you have, but to generally answer your question, it could be. On our previous coach, we had a second toilet that had its own black tank and that second bath sink was plumbed into that black tank.

And yes, if that tank was full, it could eventually run the sink water out of the toilet, perhaps thru a venting loop or a weak flush seal.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:08 AM   #6

Some RV MFGs plumb bathroom sink to black out of convenience.....

Running bathroom sink and toilet overflowing
Yeo...yours is one AND toilet bowl seal has failed
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:35 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
OP's profile says 1999 Adventurer 34, does not mention whether 34H or 34V.

Plumbing diagram for 34H is here.
Plumbing diagram for 34V is here.

Winnebago plumbing diagrams can confuse; that said, my read on both the 34H and 34V is that the bathroom sink drains into the black tank. I could be incorrect (has happened before!).

Much helpful Winnebago information is available via this link:

Owner Resources
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:16 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
It's the 34V and I would have never looked that up. I'm actually really surprised, my bathroom is small, seems like plumbing that sink with the shower would be obvious but I see now I was very wrong. Well at least I'm home in the driveway, something positive from my learning mistake. I was able to come in the house and grab towels that can be easily washed. Now to figure out how to drain a bit so I can move the motorhome to my dump outlet.
It's always something crazy!😁
lorim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Plumbing diagram for 34H is here.
Plumbing diagram for 34V is here.
Both diagrams do indeed show the bath sink draining into the black tank. Many do.

Winnebago has some of the best documentation in the business. Maybe they'll get around to making the Newmar division clean up their documentation mess.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:05 PM   #10

Grey water tends to fill up 2 to one to black. Gives you a place to wash your hands if the grey fills up. Would be nice to have had the kitchen sink on the black instead.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Grey water tends to fill up 2 to one to black. Gives you a place to wash your hands if the grey fills up. Would be nice to have had the kitchen sink on the black instead.
I sure wouldn't want the black tank backing up into the kitchen sink when full! We used a dishpan for washing dishes & just used the water to flush the toilet.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post

I am just figuring this out with mine and this is why my black tank fills up so fast. We are germophobes and wash our hands all the time in the bathroom sink. I guess we'll have to start using the kitchen sink for hand washing.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorim View Post
It's the 34V and I would have never looked that up. I'm actually really surprised, my bathroom is small, seems like plumbing that sink with the shower would be obvious but I see now I was very wrong. Well at least I'm home in the driveway, something positive from my learning mistake. I was able to come in the house and grab towels that can be easily washed. Now to figure out how to drain a bit so I can move the motorhome to my dump outlet.
It's always something crazy!😁
Get an end cap for your dump line that has a hose connection.
Get a garden hose shutoff valve
Connect valve and garden hose and do a controlled draining into bucket(s)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:58 PM   #14

It is things like this that should be in RV owners manuals.

Experience is the best teacher, and the worst experiences teach the best lessons.

I sure wish I had listened more to my elders when I was young. I suspect experience is where they learned things.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet