Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2021, 08:55 PM   #1

Toilet Recommendations.

Hi All - A few years ago we had to replace the Theftford Aquamagic 3 toilet that was in our camper when we got it. We replaced it with a Aquamagic 4. Lately we are getting occasional leaking around the toilet, and a persistent bad odor. I'm thinking I need to replace the seal around the base, kind of a (I'm sorry) crappy job. Since I have to remove the toilet to do this I'm thinking maybe I should look into a replacement toilet as DW has ALWAYS complained that this toilet is seat is higher than the previous one, and she is short. In addition, the cheap plastic the toilet is made of stains very easily, AND, there is a space below the bowl that collects solid waste on the sides and looks awful, and may be contributing to the smell. The unit was only about $140, so I guess you get what you pay for. In any case I'm looking for recommendations. Ideally it would have a ceramic bowl, better plastic exterior, have a seat around 16" from the floor, AND, doesn't have the space below the bowl that collects the smelly waste on the side. Oh, one more DW concern is the current toilet juts out further than the the old one, taking up already tight space between the door and the toilet.

I know, a tall order. Any recommendations? Oh, and it would be nice to stay below $250 and $300. Thanks!!
GaryS1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2021, 10:06 PM   #2

I have a Dometic 320, which works fine.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:45 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Make sure you measure the clearance before you buy. We replaced a toilet, at wife's request, she found one she liked. So went and bought it, went to put it in and the toilet hit the back wall and would not set correctly. So instead of moving the floor flange we found another toilet that fit in the space without any modifications.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:20 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
+2 for Dometic.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:43 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Anti-Dometic here. The 300 series are JUNK. Very few repair parts and prone to leaking at a non-repairable joint.

I tried to replace our older Thetford with a Dometic 320 and if will not perform as advertised. The only way to clean the front of the bowl is to use the hand sprayer. After a lot of fussing, I got the dealer to take the 320 back and I bought the parts to repair my old Thetford. At least I can replace pretty much every part in the Thetford.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:29 AM   #6

Thetford style plus is a good pic. 2 heights availability. The lower base cover can hide some bad smells if you miss while standing. Ceramic bowl, very easy to rebuild. Usually need a thorough cleaning before actually needing parts. The more water run through with each flush helps any of these toilets. Dow 111 grease will keep the ball seal working for ever.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:20 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We've been happy with the Dometic units. In our current coach and last coach, we have the macerator toilets. They solve all the poo pyramid and paper buildup issues everyone is always concerned about. They do use a little more water.

The Dometic 8300 macerator series are porcelain and have the elongated seat. It's going to be pricey.

No matter what you buy, the porcelain models are so much easier to clean and I never buy ANY toilet that doesn't have the elongated seat.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:37 AM   #8

I replaced my Aquamagic 4 with a Dometic 310. The mounting holes are different and as I recall, I had to rotate the ring in the floor so they lined up. Also the water connections were different and required some adapters and a different hose from the floor to the toilet.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:34 PM   #9

Rexhall Owners Group
The Thetford Aqua-Magic style plus Hybrid has a ceramic bowl. We had ours in use for 7 years with no problems. Just replaced it as the DW needed a taller toilet ( RA makes getting off hard with a low toilet). I'm actually using the old one in a trailer tow hauler conversion as the old one still looks new. Regardless of the brand, get a ceramic bowl. Plastic stains and will hold odors over time.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:03 PM   #10

Another pro Dometic 320 user here, big improvement over my old Thetford Aqua Magic Aurora , sure they are not perfect, have limited servicable parts, and the seal between the upper and lower section is prone to failure, but the price is right at around $200. Mine is now about 4 years old, when it fails I will replace it with another one with no regrets.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet