Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

I don't think it's practical to try to carry everything you may ever need. I take the basic hand tools and a small socket set with both metric and SAE of the most popular sizes. If I need anything I don't have I bet I can find someone on the CG that has it! D
I agree!
I’d love to carry every tool I might need, but tools = weight. For every tool I carry, means I might not be able to carry something else.
I’m curious and ask two question to those who carry a full complement of tools.
Have you weighed your rig carrying all that stuff?
How many times have you actually used everything you carry?
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2018, 08:46 AM   #16

Tools
I am a tool aholic.
I also cary an extra alternator.
All filters
Cummins and generator
All belts
Solinoid 's etc.
Aqua hot spare parts, filters, orfaces and a silver box.
Battery chargers and testers, extension cords are in a differend bay.

NAPA tools are my friend.
Just spent a few hundred this week.
They gave me a 25 percent discount

Dang

I constantly sort and re organize.

My son in law and other family members get constantly gifted tools.
Some people golf
I buy tools.
I have never been stranded nor towed.
But I have replaced a trailer hub in lyons Colorado at two am when it was 20 below.

And many more instances.

Every hr. ( Saved ) from a service bay at $150. Per hr. Rate buys tools.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181123_101437.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	226927
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:21 AM   #17
PKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
-- snip --How many times have you actually used everything you carry?
Never .... that's the point. If you have it you will not need it.

Now, truth be told ..... have used the tools many times, but less in frequent years when the rig got newer. Did have to change a tire. Did have to tighten up some screws. Did have to repair a drawer catch and the broken wood that held it. The dead blow gets used a bit. The axe gets used a bit. The water pump pliers get used regularly as hands now have issues with water hose fittings. The electric and temp meters get used regularly. The air gage got upgraded. The kit to winterize is used on occasion. A lot depends on what you do as PM and repair with emphasis on the reliability of your rig. If you are on the road a lot, that will be more. If you tend to prep at home base and maintain there, not so much.

Weight - tools come in two types 1) basic turn the fastener or measure the part/function/status and 2) the specialized tool that saves time. The "saves time" tool can stay home if you want to save weight. You can still get the job done with the basics. However, if you get sucked into working for wages again, your decision process might be different.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post

I have 1/4" and 3/8" drive sets SAE up to 15/16" water heater drain plug is 15/16".
Small set of combo wrenches
Vise grips
Pliers
Screwdrivers slotted, Phillips, Torx
Multi meter
infrared temp gun
cordless drill with drill index to 1/2"
Small nail set punch for the finish nails that work themselves out
Hammer for the nail set punch
2 pair of coveralls
Leather gloves
Safety glasses
Droplight
Mallet
Quick clamps
Tarp to lay on
Duct tape
Bailing wire
Zip ties
hacksaw
Wire cutters
Crimp ends for the wires you cut
electrical tape

I'm sure I'm leaving somethings out.
Torque wrench
Assortment of funnels
Oil change pan
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #19

Duct Tape
WD-40
Hammer
Big Screwdriver

What else could you possibly need?
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
Duct Tape
WD-40
Hammer
Big Screwdriver

Oops, I forgot Vise Grips!
Old 11-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
Duct Tape
WD-40
Hammer
Big Screwdriver

Zip ties!
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:36 PM   #22
PKI

Over time you find new solutions to old problems. A buck saw gets replaced by a chainsaw. The chainsaw gets replaced by a reciprocating saw with various blades. And then you find that someone created a cordless model. So the tool deal, she keeps on rolling.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:33 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tow a trailer with the car inside since I have the room I also carry the 6ft tall tool box and a dozen milk crates full of supplies. Everything gets used when the RV, trailer, car, motorcyle, bicycle or inlaw house gets older and needs repair.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:18 AM   #24

I would go to Harbor Freight and get a metric and SAE socket set and a set of SAE box wrenches. Get a box of assorted screws and bolts, electrical connectors, battery drill and drill bits. Get a cloth tool bag and fill it with screw drivers, pliers and needle nose pliers, adjustable end wrench, multi meter, hammer, maybe a wood clamp, small wood saw and hack saw. A cloth bag is easy to carry. Add a good head band flash light and regular flash light. All from Harbor Freight.

That will probably cost less than $250 and cover 90% of your repairs.

Add roof sealant for leaks, window sealant, silicone spray, engine and genny oil, front hub oil and tranny oil and you're good to go.

You might add a RV folding ladder, about $120, and it stores easily. Also a manual pole saw, invaluable for clearing your site. Don't forget jumper battery cables.

I don't plan on borrowing from other campers and I haven't had to, but if I needed something I would probably ask. I've loaned tools.

I got a cheap no name battery drill several years ago for my boat when we were doing extended cruising. Paid $35 and the hardware store guy said it won't last. I've had it 5 years, sold the boat and it's on our RV. You'd be surprise how much a battery drill is used. Make sure you get several screw bits for it.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:37 AM   #25

Now is a good time to pick up a nice tool set at Home Depot or Lowes in the $50 -$100 range including a fitted case. Good prices on individual tools and tool boxes as well.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
I agree!
I’d love to carry every tool I might need, but tools = weight. For every tool I carry, means I might not be able to carry something else.
I’m curious and ask two question to those who carry a full complement of tools.
Have you weighed your rig carrying all that stuff?
How many times have you actually used everything you carry?
Good point.

Aside from socket set in a plastic case, everything I carry fits in a Harbor Freight rigger's bag plus a compartmentalized parts container for screws, etc.

That is, except for my one heavy item, a 6 gal, 30lb, 150psi pancake air compressor. I'm a little paranoid about tire pressures since my family lost most of their worldly belongings to moving van fire caused by a tire failure when I was in college. The six gallon is overkill but it does double duty at home. I've only had my MH for a year so, as time goes on, I may carry it less and less, or end up with a smaller one.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:59 AM   #27
PKI

Recent threads have reported seeing folks using a leaf blower at their camp site. Thought it a bit excessive. Starting to rethink. This weekend the blower got used multiple times to dry out rain drenched stuff. Battery power has changed the world a lot.

Found a new concept yesterday. We were trying to remove some rusted bolts. Just could not get the last one. We could have cut the bolt, but it must be saved. Heat would kill the heat treat of the bolt, so that is not an option. A nut splitter seems like it may be the answer. No one has one, so it's trip to the tool store time. For now it's soaking in penetrating oil. We'll see next week.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Recent threads have reported seeing folks using a leaf blower at their camp site. Thought it a bit excessive. Starting to rethink. This weekend the blower got used multiple times to dry out rain drenched stuff. Battery power has changed the world a lot.

Found a new concept yesterday. We were trying to remove some rusted bolts. Just could not get the last one. We could have cut the bolt, but it must be saved. Heat would kill the heat treat of the bolt, so that is not an option. A nut splitter seems like it may be the answer. No one has one, so it's trip to the tool store time. For now it's soaking in penetrating oil. We'll see next week.
How many times will you need a nut splitter? Go to Autozone and borrow one, free!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote