Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2022, 09:45 AM   #1

Tools for on the road? Necessities and DIY

So I've moved from a 1500 sq/ft house, to 1200, to 900, but am planning on going "houseless" for a while. And planning on full timing in a 26' for 6 months or so and will probably keep it a while after I find a new home base.

I'm selling pretty much everything. However as an avid DIYer I'm trying to figure out what tools to keep/bring.

I have a few 12v Bosch drill/drivers that I think will be useful already and things about adding the jig saw

I also have a 192 piece mechanics tool set. Figured adding a torque wrench would be good.

Other than that thinking (I already have the following, not sure if I should bring):
a drill bit and driver bits set maybe a couple of hole saw bits.
Extra blades for saw
Electrical kit: Multi meter, wire strippers/crimpers, butt splices+wire nuts, strapping, wire cutters, zip ties. Skip the soldering iron?
Scoping camera
Small level
Good tape measure
Eye and ear pro
Couple of bar clamps
Small parts organizer with some misc screws, nuts, bolts
Vice grips
Small multi-bit screw driver
Regular multi-bit screw driver

I think that's all?
chaostactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2022, 09:57 AM   #2

Sounds like you have it covered to me. Maybe consider caulk gun, dicor sealants blah blah. Various lube choices for slides and seals. I think about what I use most often and it's 12v stuff, the driver/drill and robust bit set...quality ratcheting screwdriver and vice grip slide jaws thrown in the junk drawer. I have finally drank the ryobi kool aid and use their 18v platform. Just picked up the tiny inverter that is my new favorite thinger. So handy for charging phones and pads when sitting outside. I also carry a proper 6 gallon air compressor, key spares that if boon docking I could not live without like a water pump, slide controller board, tire patch kit.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:00 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaostactics View Post
So I've moved from a 1500 sq/ft house, to 1200, to 900, but am planning on going "houseless" for a while. And planning on full timing in a 26' for 6 months or so and will probably keep it a while after I find a new home base.

I'm selling pretty much everything. However as an avid DIYer I'm trying to figure out what tools to keep/bring.

I have a few 12v Bosch drill/drivers that I think will be useful already and things about adding the jig saw

I also have a 192 piece mechanics tool set. Figured adding a torque wrench would be good.

Other than that thinking (I already have the following, not sure if I should bring):
Extra blades for saw
Electrical kit: Multi meter, wire strippers/crimpers, butt splices+wire nuts, strapping, wire cutters, zip ties. Skip the soldering iron?
Scoping camera
Small level
Good tape measure
Eye and ear pro
Couple of bar clamps
Vice grips

I think that's all?
Remember, everything on that list cuts into how much of other things you can take. It cuts into the cargo carrying capacity for everyday items you may want to take along, like food, clothes, general supplies.

We full time and have a large 5th wheel, I still need to be concerned with what we carry. I have a 4-drawer toolbox and a 8-drawer plastic cabinet that holds parts, screws.

Take care in what you think you will need and what you "want since you are an avid "DIYer".
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:30 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Good list and suggest:

air compressor
portable pavement blower
portable vacuum cleaner
channellock pliers
tape, e.g., electrical tape, gorilla and plumbers teflon
oil changing kit
battery charger
Old 05-15-2022, 10:55 AM   #5

Just a few things that have come in handy in my toolbox and storage bin. I’ve had to use them all on the road, but fortunately you can always go to the local Lowes wherever you are.

12v rechargeable headlamp to see into places you’re working on
Magnet wand to retrieve hardware you’ll let fall into hard to reach places
Heat gun to make butt splices
A black and a red spool of 14awg, and 10awg wire, as these two gauges needed most often
Assortment of wire Butt splices and terminals
5/16” metal tapping bit, and assortment of metal tapping screws.
Gorilla tape, duct tape, and some two-sided tape
Good socket set with two sided driver, and some common size long sockets, and a 1 1/2” socket
Set of small screwdrivers
Shop knife, and razor blade scraper
Old 05-15-2022, 05:17 PM   #6

I carry the basic hand tools like combination wrenches, 3/8” drive socket set, pliers, wire cutters, adjustable wrench, screw drivers etc. RV specific screws and fasteners. Electrical parts and connectors, pex fittings and pipe and a good 3/4” drive flex handle with socket for my wheels. Air chuck and cordless drill with bit. Sealant, glue, duct tape (of course) and double sided 3M tape.

Anything you forget or need more of is just a big box store away.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:53 PM   #7

As for tools everything I need fits inside this...
https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-CMS...20251215&psc=1
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System G-Man 360 generator man (PM me)
1972VWbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 09:13 PM   #8

I like to carry a small roll of eternabond tape in case a branch attacks me.
Col. Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:01 AM   #9

Good list. A few others that I've found helpful:
- Channel locks or cobra pliers
- Adjustable wrench
- Pex tools (crimp/removal, cutter, extra clamps)
vtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:17 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaostactics View Post

Extra blades for saw
Scoping camera
Small level
Good tape measure
Eye and ear pro
Couple of bar clamps
Vice grips

I think that's all?

More than you need. There are two ways of thinking about tools for your rig. Either carry as much as you can think of, or carry as little as possible. Are you ever going to be parked someplace that doesn't have a hardware store nearby? Will anything you take with you keep you from being stranded? We used to load up like we were going on safari, not camping. Had a ton of tools and what if gizmos and fluids weighing me down. Dumped it all. Now all I carry is a roll of rescue tape, a small home owner's toolkit I got at a big hardware store for $50 or so and a credit card. Everything else I need, if I need it, is a short trip away to an auto parts or hardware store, or in a lot of cases, just the next truck stop I'm heading toward.

At today's prices I wouldn't get rid of any good quality tools. You won't be able to replace them for the same amount. Store them with a relative until you're done full timing if you don't have a place for them.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:22 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All good suggestions. Personally, I'd not carry saws. In my years of rv'ing, I've never needed any. Now, maybe a hand-held short pruning saw for tree branches. Maybe add a multi tool you can carry around or keep in the junk drawer. Have a great adventure out there!
Old 05-16-2022, 09:38 AM   #12

For years I struggled with tool bags, small boxes, and trays. Last year I bought this. Much less aggravation, I know what tools are in what drawer. I laid a piece of 3/4 plywood on the compartment floor to reinforce it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB07908D-466C-412E-BB97-AA2A2D747FE8.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	365608  
Firewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:01 PM   #13

I'll just say that most of the 'lists', including the OP's are overkill. We full-timed 16 years and traveled constantly. Our tools fit in one small case and we got along just fine.

Here are some packing lists:

https://www.campanda.com/magazine/rv...ntable/#safety
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 04:12 AM   #14

I do have a toolbox with a variety of small hand tools, gloves, duct tape, and other items. At some locations, a level is crucial.
A large, long screwdriver is an absolute must-have for when one of the foot on my stabilizer jacks gets caught.
Lawrence C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, tools