Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2019, 10:44 AM   #1

Top things I need for first time out in RV

I've been a member here for about 7 months, so I hope I'n in the right place. I just shook hands with a private seller to purchase their used travel trailer. It's a 2011 Wildwood 26TBSS. I will be picking it up in a couple weeks and will need to do a little cleanup before we take it out. The tires and battery are original, so I'm going to replace both. I may add a sway bar to go along with the weight distribution hitch they are giving to me. Before anyone asks, yes, I haggled down the price because of the tires and battery.

So besides suggestions the for new tires, battery and sway control, what other things should I make sure I have prior to going out the first time in this TT? We have pots, pans, plates, etc. We have a 25' hose, wheel chalks, leveling blocks and 30 Amp electric adapter. We also have a small charcoal grill, but have been thinking about a small Coleman gas grill.
streittk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2019, 10:50 AM   #2

I recommend a quality poo hose, it may sound trivial, but I've gone through a few before getting a rhino flex with the swivel ends. It makes it so much easier to use and to store. It collapses and stays that way for storage.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:51 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would sanitize the fresh water tank and rinse out the black and grey tanks thoroughly. the ratio of bleach to water in your fresh water that I use is 1/4 cup to 13 gal and let it sit over night. Cleaning the other tanks I just use Liquid detergent and let that sit in there. You can drive around a little to help it mix.

Check all your seams on the roof. get some roof sealing caulk and have it with you in case you find a leak. Go around and tighten screws and lube hinges. Then just a good cleaning all around. I have a small air compressor along too.

Good luck.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #4

I think just about everyone approaches this "camping thing" a little differently, so what works for me will not necessarily work for you, or anyone else for that matter. I've seen this information here many times; camp in your front yard a few nights and the things you are missing will become obvious. A few short trips not far from home before long trips would be informative also. Even when on the road there will be stores to stop and buy things at.

For us, we had our fill of portable stoves and the like when we were tenting, now we appreciate the relative luxury of being able to stay inside and do the same things we had to be outside for then. Also, my wife hates smoke and I feel the same way about biting insects. I love hunting and fishing and worked outside most of my life, but given the choice, aside from that, I would not be where they could get to me. For us a camper is used to travel, cook, and sleep in while we are doing whatever we came there to do. Except for traveling, we are not in it very much during the daylight hours.

I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and carry a good assortment of tools with us on trips, along with zip lock and larger plastic bags, zip ties, duct tape, etc.

That is just us, and I'm sure what you choose to do will be different. After a few trips you will know. Relax, and above all, enjoy the experience.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #5

This is a list that I go over before leaving. It may jog your memory and be helpful
“Things to remember”
 Pills and BP cuff
 CPAC Machine
 Hearing aids
 Hair clippers
 Rack for back of MH and coolers.
 Stuff from basement.
 Shorts, long pants, shirts, socks, underwear. Gene shirt
 Dish phone number 1-800-333-DISH 3474 Security code # 5514
 Phone and charger from bedroom and desk
 Coffee pot
 Coffee and filters
 Defender and shells
 Hard go cup
 Jumper cables
 Scrub brush for motor home.
 Wallet
 Magnetic key box
 Road atlas
 Cash
 Sandals
 Water jugs filled
 shoes
 Cork screw
 Sun Glasses
 Hat
 Readers
 Booze
 Rain Suit
 fishing poles
 Camera
 Sun screen
 5 gallon bucket with lid.
 Fill water 1st night
 Worms
 Fill Water
 Empty Tanks
 Crock Pot
 Tire Pressures 80PSI
 Sulsa
 Sticky fingers
 Pizza sauce
 Money in account & cash
Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:10 PM   #6

The last item on the above list jogged my memory to the time we left OR for WV without telling the financial institution we had our credit card with we were going. Imagine my surprise when we filled with fuel somewhere along I-80 and the card was rejected. I always carry along several hundred dollars just in case, so I paid for the fuel out of that and called the financial institution as soon as we were in the parking lot out of the way. As soon as they knew it was actually us everything was OK and we used the card for the rest of the trip. Good point though, and a good list.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #7

Get a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) for the trailer.

Get a RV ready GPS like a Garmin 770.

Get a quality surge protection/electrical management system like one from Progressive Industries.

Get a quality water pressure regulator like one from RV Water Filter Store.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #8

Pack it with what you think you need for a weekend, and then spend 2-3 nights in the driveway, camping. Only go in the house for something you forget and absolutely need.

Keep a list...
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #9

Paper and pencil/pen to write down the little things that need attention when you get home and the things you need for the next trip hat you forgot to bring on this trip.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:29 PM   #10

Heavy duty 50 or 30amp (whichever the trailer is currently provided with) extension cord. At LEAST another 25' water hose, 50 would be better. Another sewer hose and the connector to attach to your current hose along with the termination end that goes into the camps sewer connection. Some of these facilities are in the most unconvinent locations at some parks!
Old 01-27-2019, 01:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Get a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) for the trailer.

Get a RV ready GPS like a Garmin 770.

Get a quality surge protection/electrical management system like one from Progressive Industries.

Get a quality water pressure regulator like one from RV Water Filter Store.
You do not 'need' any of those things. How do I know? Been enjoying RVing since 1975 and I do not have those things. Unless you have a 'need' to spend lots of money on things with dubious benefits.

The RV industry is very good at getting you to spend money.

Walmart is very good at selling you the tings you need at a low price. For example, RV toilet paper can be found with the RV supplies near the auto chemicals.

No you do not need chemicals for your toilet. Read that at this site so I tried it. I am coming up on three months since dumping by doing most of that business elsewhere.

Finally Kevin you need to get out of Louisiana before you sink in the mud and you need deep woods off. Heading Louisiana next week to visit family. Almost every year I fail to take this advice.

Let the good times roll (pun intended).
Old 01-27-2019, 02:18 PM   #12

if you're going to the effort to replace tires it might be worthwhile to pull the drums to check brakes and repack the bearings. at least you will then know their condition.

i don't know what equipment is coming with the trailer. you'll needs chocks and possibly leveling blocks.

i fully agree with bringing it home and camping in the driveway before you go out and buy anything. find a local place where you can dump the tanks afterwards. use this time to test and learn everything you can. push every button to see how things work.

one piece of equipment that you should get and leave in the trailer is a cheap multimeter.

the goal is to enjoy!
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:27 PM   #13

You have the basic's already. Go camp and have fun. Take a sense of humor with you, as you will probably need it. For everything else there's MasterCard
Old 01-27-2019, 08:05 PM   #14

Wheel chocks....and you do need a water pressure regulator.....tp from Costco works good, in the tank also, and a few spare fuses....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote