Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2019, 08:19 PM   #15

I am not going to say camp out in your driveway, instead go find a state park, COE, National Forest campground, etc. where you can spend a weekend, just make sure it has a 24 hour Wal-Mart within 5 miles so you can run get the necessities you forget. Exactly what those necessities are it is hard to say, stock up on the basic stuff, toilet tissue, can opener, first aid supplies, also OFF and bug spray. I carry both flying insect spray and wasp spray now as I have found wasp nests under the flaps at electrical hookup posts multiple times in my travels.

Ike

Out of things first timers may neglect to get, I would also suggest getting a quality water pressure regulator, many RV's have plumbing systems designed to operate with water pressures no higher than 50-60 psi, some campgrounds have hose popping 100+ psi a the faucets. It is $20-$30 that could save you a lot of headaches (something like https://smile.amazon.com/Signstek-Pr.../dp/B06XP2C2CL ), note those little $5-$10 inline cylindrical water pressure regulators don't work very well, they have little flow and also don't do a good job of regulating pressure . Also some people say toilet chemicals are not needed, I say they are optional, and an option I tend to use, personally I use the citrus scented individual size bottle treatment bought at Wal-mart by the 12 pack.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2019, 08:29 PM   #16

When we bought out house boat many years ago, we loaded it down with every thing we could think of. 18 years later we sold that wonderful boat, and we unload things we had not seen in 18 years, things we never needed or used. So when we got the MH, we decided to only take what we would use and need.
Everyone will have a different list of needed. I would suggest you do a few close trips and decide what you need. Part of the fun of RVing is finding your fit.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:17 AM   #17

Make sure you have a couple fire extinguishers.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
 Coffee and filters
on our first trip we forgot the coffee
also don't forget trash bags
Old 01-28-2019, 08:37 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We wouldn't leave home without a surge protector and a water regulator. Our first surge protector (may it rest in peace) gave up its life to save our electrical system. Our second has already alerted us to an incorrectly wired pedestal in a county park.

After a few trips with our first travel trailer, I typed up a couple of checklists on our desktop at home - one was things to bring and one was things to do before leaving home or campsite. Now I just print a set of of them whenever we're packing for an outing. The lists have saved our bacon a number of times. You think you'll remember everything but then . . .

Really, though, the most important thing to bring is your sense of adventure - enjoy your new rig and the camping experiences it will allow you!
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:38 AM   #20

Lots of good info here. I would suggest looking through it, and being VERY skeptical on each item. As in--if you immediately think "oh yeah, I forgot about that!" then add it. If you're not sure about the use of it, I'd wait. Like others have said--you don't need to immediately dump a bunch of money into something that's a luxury. One key thing to keep in mind--you can make runs with your tow vehicle when you realize you forgot a necessity. Some of us in a motorhome are much more chained to our campsite.

Since you mentioned that you were replacing your tires--I would spend the money to have steel valve stems put in. That way, if you decide later you want to put a screw on TPMS on, you won't have any worries. Even if you never do that, you'll have removed a common source of tire leakage--failure with the rubber ones. Maybe your unit already has them, but most don't. Should be a minimal cost.

Have fun, don't get overwhelmed by the suggestions, and make lists of what you need for next time. I bought a whiteboard for this, and just end up using my phone. It's better that way when I'm shirking my job duties at the office--I know what I need to order.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:51 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like you have the basics. My advice is to go camping and make an ongoing list of what you don't have. You'll have to balance that with storage and weight.

My wife has a bad habit of always bringing something new into the coach but never taking anything out. Ultimately I have access to about 15% of the closet and drawer space. Same with basement storage. Only after I raise H&L$ does she take things out.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:18 PM   #22

Since someone here suggested TPMS's are a luxury I would like to make a case for them being a safety addition instead.

I've had two flat tires pulling a fifth wheel without TPMS, the first time I didn't even know I had a flat since there was no change in handling until someone passed me waving their arms and pointing back, I stopped, checked, and the tire was totally destroyed.

The second time, same thing, I didn't know I had a flat until I looked back and saw smoke behind the trailer, that time it destroyed the tire and the wheel.

Since I've had TPMS's on my fifth wheel I've had two leaks which the TPMS warned me of and I was able to get to a shop to have them fixed with no damage.

Checking your tire pressure before you leave on a trip is great, but you might run over a nail as you're pulling out of your driveway you have no way of knowing. The TPMS fixes that problem. I think there a safety add-on not a luxury.

Tom
Old 01-28-2019, 08:03 PM   #23
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spend a weekend "camped" in your driveway. Avoid going into your house. You soon discover what you need for the living area.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueRamsey View Post
I recommend a quality poo hose, it may sound trivial, but I've gone through a few before getting a rhino flex with the swivel ends. It makes it so much easier to use and to store. It collapses and stays that way for storage.
I will put it on my list. Thanks!
streittk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlineskater View Post
I would sanitize the fresh water tank and rinse out the black and grey tanks thoroughly. the ratio of bleach to water in your fresh water that I use is 1/4 cup to 13 gal and let it sit over night. Cleaning the other tanks I just use Liquid detergent and let that sit in there. You can drive around a little to help it mix.

Check all your seams on the roof. get some roof sealing caulk and have it with you in case you find a leak. Go around and tighten screws and lube hinges. Then just a good cleaning all around. I have a small air compressor along too.

Good luck.
Thank you. I'll definitely be doing this.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
I've seen this information here many times; camp in your front yard a few nights and the things you are missing will become obvious. A few short trips not far from home before long trips would be informative also. Even when on the road there will be stores to stop and buy things at.
Thank you Steve. Our first trip out will be about an hour away and we will be camping with friends close by. Then like you said, after a few trips out, it will be time to relax.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:50 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
This is a list that I go over before leaving. It may jog your memory and be helpful
“Things to remember”
 Pills and BP cuff
 CPAC Machine
 Hearing aids
 Hair clippers
 Rack for back of MH and coolers.
 Stuff from basement.
 Shorts, long pants, shirts, socks, underwear. Gene shirt
Dennis - Thank you thank you. While my list will no-doubt be much different, your list gives me a lot of ideas.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Get a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) for the trailer.

Get a RV ready GPS like a Garmin 770.

Get a quality surge protection/electrical management system like one from Progressive Industries.

Get a quality water pressure regulator like one from RV Water Filter Store.
Thanks you @FatChance. I will check all these out.