Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2021, 12:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS56 View Post
Travel Trailer
32,000 Base Price
2,240 Tax
2,000 Upgrades

Ram 2500
46,000 Purchase Price, Includes tax

82,240 Total Investment

(15,000) Sale Price of TT after 5 Years
(25,000) Sale Price of Ram after 5 Years

42,240 Net cost after 5 years

8,448 Avg Equipment Cost/year

Travel Trailer
250 Registration
500 Maintance
1,000 Insurance

Ram 2500

500 Maintance
1,200 Insurance

Gas 12,000 miles
1,800 Gas Towing 10mpg/$3.00/gal/6,000 miles
1,200 Gas Driving 15mpg/$3.00/gal/6,000 miles

6,450 Annual operating Costs

42,240 Equipment Cost 5 Years
32,250 Operating Costs 5 Years

80,940 Total 5 year Cost
30,000 6,000miles per year towing

2.70 Cost per mile

80,940 Total 5 year Cost
60,000 12,000miles per year towing

1.35 Cost per mile

LP Gas
Electricity
RV Parks

Did you do your math this way? The less you drive the higher the cost of ownership per mile.

I think your numbers are low.
I realized I forgot storage in the equation.

1,800/yr adds .30 and .15 respectively or total 3.00 and 1.50
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2021, 01:13 PM   #30

I incorporate the direct cost per mile into our travel planning, ie fuel and know wear factors, tires, etc. but do not include cost of ownership stuff, this is partly because most of our trips are at least 1,000 miles in length, often over 2,000.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:29 PM   #31

Total Cost Per Day Camped

I can see figuring total cost if your want to compare RV recreation to some other forms of recreations, but I wouldn't do it by cost per mile. Cost per day camped makes more sense to me.

You can compare cost per day camped to cost per day for a two week European vacation or something like that.
tcgoetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:52 PM   #32

Smiles per Gallon . This is a lifestyle which if you constantly worry about the cost , well it might not be for you .
Smiles , per gallon .
xkimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:02 PM   #33

New to forum and learning about the RV way of life. I see many 1/4 million dollar RVs rolling down the highway leaving $100 bills blowing in their wake behind them like leaves on a fall day. These folks are blessed and good for them.

Then there are others like me. It is not "If I have to ask, I can't afford it", rather "How can I make this work with what I have". Coming from purchasing and project management, I need a realistic total cost of an endeavor before I commit. 10mpg vs 11mpg is a 10% difference, which equals 10% more miles that can be driven for the same cost. Or that 10% savings can be budgeted elsewhere. From that point of view, total cost per mile and/or total cost per day is good information. Miles driven and days used can be estimated per year. Even if the end result is sleeping in a tent while I travel, sure beats growing old and sitting still on the couch watching TV.
Dr Obbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:02 AM   #34
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeswink View Post
i suggest we should worry about the total cost per mile in our RVs not mpg.
If you want something to worry about, take the out-the-door price of your motorhome and divide it by the number of nights you've stayed in it.

We've had ours a year and a half and since we winter in it, about 1/3rd of the total nights have been in the motorhome.

Excluding the cost of fuel, maintenance, tolls, campground fees, insurance, and anything else we would not spend if we just had a house, we're under $800 per night!

So we're now close to "The Four Seasons on Maui" per-night cost but still well above "Disney World on-site hotel" per-night cost.

Of course, if I rationalize further and assume we'll recover 50% of our purchase price when we sell this thing, we are about at the "Disney World on-site hotel" per-night cost...

But...that also means that the cost of our real home's per-night cost just went up by a third because it's vacant for a third of the year now.

Math sucks.

Ray
Old 01-26-2021, 08:08 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
If you want something to worry about, take the out-the-door price of your motorhome and divide it by the number of nights you've stayed in it.

We've had ours a year and a half and since we winter in it, about 1/3rd of the total nights have been in the motorhome.

Excluding the cost of fuel, maintenance, tolls, campground fees, insurance, and anything else we would not spend if we just had a house, we're under $800 per night!

So we're now close to "The Four Seasons on Maui" per-night cost but still well above "Disney World on-site hotel" per-night cost.

Of course, if I rationalize further and assume we'll recover 50% of our purchase price when we sell this thing, we are about at the "Disney World on-site hotel" per-night cost...

But...that also means that the cost of our real home's per-night cost just went up by a third because it's vacant for a third of the year now.

Math sucks.

Ray
But generally it does not Lie...............
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:35 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to jcmerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeswink View Post
i suggest we should worry about the total cost per mile in our RVs not mpg. We spend extra money buying small diesels because of mpg. i have neighbor with a Winnebago 25' class A, whos total cost per mile is over $1/ mile, Where mine in a 27' Coachmen class C is under .75 cents/ mile. His is higher initial cost, insurance, taxes, and maintenance. 'and did i say the local Ford dealer does my maintenance, vs who knows on this unusal diesel. maybe an even better criteria would be access to reasonable maintenance.
Being on a limited budget and not able to spend how I want, I have had to watch where the dollars go. This includes doing some repairs myself and living with a budget scaled MH, etc. But I am camping and going places and enjoying the MH life. If I was only concerned with the cost aspect of this wonderful lifestyle, I would have missed out. The same logic applies to having 3 kids, and college, and grandkids, etc. If I thought about the cost of being married and having a family before diving into it, it wouldn't make sense. Luckily it is well worth every dollar invested in both lifestyles.
jcmerry is offline   Reply With Quote