Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2021, 11:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeswink View Post
i suggest we should worry about the total cost per mile in our RVs not mpg. We spend extra money buying small diesels because of mpg. i have neighbor with a Winnebago 25' class A, whos total cost per mile is over $1/ mile, Where mine in a 27' Coachmen class C is under .75 cents/ mile. His is higher initial cost, insurance, taxes, and maintenance. 'and did i say the local Ford dealer does my maintenance, vs who knows on this unusal diesel. maybe an even better criteria would be access to reasonable maintenance.
It would be an interesting math problem but I don't see much value for it except to dissuade those who think Rving saves money.

Also, I would really like to see the math for your numbers. They seem low to me.
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2021, 11:42 AM   #16

I see nothing wrong with monitoring how much you spend. It doesn't hurt to pinch pennies and save where you can. If I followed some of the advice given so far I'd go buy a $1 million dollar MH and finance it for 30 years. I'd have to sell my house for a down payment though and probably not be able to make the payments, lol. I don't see where that makes sense.

The replies say don't worry about the cost of RV'ing, it's all about the pleasure you get going RV'ing. I know that doesn't make sense. Who doesn't mind getting a good deal and saving money?

There are all kinds of threads talking about saving money on fuel. Why does that matter if the cost of RV'ing doesn't matter?

Rich people live like they're poor.
Poor people live like they're rich.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeswink View Post
i suggest we should worry about the total cost per mile in our RVs not mpg. We spend extra money buying small diesels because of mpg. i have neighbor with a Winnebago 25' class A, whos total cost per mile is over $1/ mile, Where mine in a 27' Coachmen class C is under .75 cents/ mile. His is higher initial cost, insurance, taxes, and maintenance. 'and did i say the local Ford dealer does my maintenance, vs who knows on this unusal diesel. maybe an even better criteria would be access to reasonable maintenance.
Travel Trailer
32,000 Base Price
2,240 Tax
2,000 Upgrades

Ram 2500
46,000 Purchase Price, Includes tax

82,240 Total Investment

(15,000) Sale Price of TT after 5 Years
(25,000) Sale Price of Ram after 5 Years

42,240 Net cost after 5 years

8,448 Avg Equipment Cost/year

Travel Trailer
250 Registration
500 Maintance
1,000 Insurance

Ram 2500

500 Maintance
1,200 Insurance

Gas 12,000 miles
1,800 Gas Towing 10mpg/$3.00/gal/6,000 miles
1,200 Gas Driving 15mpg/$3.00/gal/6,000 miles

6,450 Annual operating Costs

42,240 Equipment Cost 5 Years
32,250 Operating Costs 5 Years

80,940 Total 5 year Cost
30,000 6,000miles per year towing

2.70 Cost per mile

80,940 Total 5 year Cost
60,000 12,000miles per year towing

1.35 Cost per mile

LP Gas
Electricity
RV Parks

Did you do your math this way? The less you drive the higher the cost of ownership per mile.

I think your numbers are low.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:15 PM   #18
US1

“The less you drive the higher the cost of ownership per mile.”

That right there!!! 2 rv owners with same rv can have totally different results.
Dont forget ‘miles per smile’
Old 01-21-2021, 05:49 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had 40,000 bass boat the took 40 bucks of fuel before heading to the lake to catch couple fish maybe. So how much was the fish a pound?

If you on a tight budget buy what you can afford and don't stress out over a cost of hobby/vacation/what ever.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
I see nothing wrong with monitoring how much you spend. It doesn't hurt to pinch pennies and save where you can. If I followed some of the advice given so far I'd go buy a $1 million dollar MH and finance it for 30 years. I'd have to sell my house for a down payment though and probably not be able to make the payments, lol. I don't see where that makes sense.

The replies say don't worry about the cost of RV'ing, it's all about the pleasure you get going RV'ing. I know that doesn't make sense. Who doesn't mind getting a good deal and saving money?

There are all kinds of threads talking about saving money on fuel. Why does that matter if the cost of RV'ing doesn't matter?

Rich people live like they're poor.
Poor people live like they're rich.
I'm with you. I can't just abandon the habits of a lifetime--the ones that got me to where I can afford to own and use a DP--just because I finally have one. I do have to admit, though I watch my mileage, that I save a ton more on repairs than I do on diesel.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:13 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
We have 4 cars, a pickup, 3 motorcycles and the MH.

Can't figure out the cost per mile, but I get lots of smiles per mile.

Years ago my dad told me to figure on 3 times the cost of fuel will get you close to full cost. Seems to work for the cars and pick-up, but bikes and MH are just toys, so they don't count.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Waay too much figuring for my old brain! I'll drive it 'till I can't afford it, then I'll sell it and remember all the good times!
This!

If you worry about MPG, cost per mile, maintenance costs, payments, then you will come to an early grave. With exceptions, being in a recreational vehicle is to have a good time. If you have to ask the salesmen what mileage does this RV get, perhaps you are in the wrong place.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:53 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
When someone asks me what kind of gas mileage my MH gets, I smile, show them the solar panel and tell them I don’t use any gas. They walk away wondering.

Yep can be rather pedantic.

These things burn a lot of fuel and fuel costs money. Benefits outweigh the costs, or wouldn’t have the thing. In other words, the experiences are worth much more than the diesel fuel. This past year has made the experiences worth even more. Total ROI? A lot.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:03 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My cost per mile is $2.50 which includes depreciation.
My mpg average is 8.8 over 40k miles. I do this to be informed only. "Something to do". It does not stop me from RV'g. I can easily afford the fuel and expenses.
But it's just a "Challenge" to keep expenses down and not let others get rich at my "expense".
Old 01-22-2021, 09:13 AM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
It’s all about a certain lifestyle.

Our expenses are:
RV loan+Insurance +Storage+Club Dues+Registration=$22d/$660m/$7,920y
Without the RV loan expense:
Insurance +Storage+Club Dues+Registration=$6.70d/$201 m/$2,400y
These expenses are when the RV is sitting in storage, they don’t include fuel or campground fees.

We enjoy the freedom that RVing offers, sleeping in our own bed and picking up and going to the next place at our own pace. Also, now that we’re both retired we plan to camp 100+ days per year. I spent many hours trying to compare the cost of motels versus motorhome travel when we first considered getting into RVing and now that I see how much we enjoy it, I realize those were wasted hours.

Relax, be happy and enjoy the ride
“Don’t take life too seriously...Nobody gets out alive anyway”
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:38 PM   #26

A long deceased friend of mine once gave me some sage advice.

He said "Whether you drive a Pinto (this was a while ago) or a Pontiac, you still have to stop and fill it up when the gauge says "E", so just drive what you can afford to fill up."
Old 01-25-2021, 07:23 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The question of fuel economy is multi-faceted. The guy who drives a $500K DP probably has a much different perspective than the guy who drives a 30 year old Class C.

Fuel for 5K miles in the DP is insignificant relative to the cost of ownership of a $500K DP while 5K miles for the 30 year old Class C may be the most costly expense of ownership by far.

Any statement that implies that fuel economy is not relevant for everyone ignores this truth. There is a sliding scale from those who perceive that fuel economy is not relevant at all to those where the cost of fuel is the difference of taking the trip or not.

Those of us who are concerned with fuel economy have that concern for our own reasons. Some of us because it is a real economic issue, some of us because we are nerds and all data are important, some of us for bragging rights, etc.

I'm concerned with fuel economy primarily because I'm a nerd and all data are important. In my case, the MH is paid for, I park it at my home, I do all the maintenance therefore fuel is my single largest expense. $2.50/gal fuel isn't an economic factor...$7.50 probably would be!

I try to answer the fuel economy question as accurately as possible. I don't question the motivation of the person asking.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
In my case, the MH is paid for, I park it at my home, I do all the maintenance therefore fuel is my single largest expense. $2.50/gal fuel isn't an economic factor...$7.50 probably would be!
Depending upon what you paid for your MH and how much you get when you sell it; Depreciation is most likely your largest expense. If you bought it used and got a good price it might not be.

The average RV is driven 5,000 miles per year

9 miles/gal
555.5 gallons of gas
2.5 cost per gallon
1,389 cost per year

Based upon the above, insurance might be more then gas also. The less you drive the lower gas is in the cost of ownership/operation. Also, if you have a Tow Vehicle you would have to add that into the equation.