Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Towing 26 foot cargo trailer behind 40 ft mh calif

does anyone know if it is a problem or if you can get a permit to pull this rig in californial
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The length of combined vehicles is not to exceed 65.' California also has restrictions on many highways. Check will CalTrans for rules and restrictions. California Department of Transportation..

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #3

Have towed race car trailers behind a motorhome well over the 65 ft rule. The biggest concern (for me) is what happens when I am in an accident and Mr. LAW measures the total length. Would bet I am automatically at fault since I am over the legal length.
Of course the other way around this is get registered commercially and then I think 85ft is the limit.
G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #4

wow did i get a not welcome

I called chip and was passed to 4 different offices. the third one said I could get a permit for width, height, or weight......... the last office said they did not issue permit for length. 65 feet is all they will allow. that is it. "do not bring one out here that long"
Old 04-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
You could probably get away with it, (towing over length) many will probably chip in with examples of towing an over length combo. "Done it for years, never had an issue." type comments. Problem is, as G Shaw noted, nobody notices until there's an accident. Then you could be in trouble. Any excuse to divert or assess blame. Bottom line, it's against the law.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:12 AM   #6

you are right

thanks bflin181 that is probably true. don't want to buy another trailer!! wish there was a job in another area
Old 04-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #7

down sized

well I finally did go down a step to a 24 vnose. hope it will slide
Old 04-23-2014, 06:09 PM   #8

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Just remember the length of the tow bar also counts toward overall length.

Don't license it as a commercial. This will involve a whole nother set of problems. Driver's license, insurance, Etc.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:47 AM   #9

I will just pass on my experience, we came into CA last fall and was stopped at Border Patrol and Horticulture check points with no questions asked. We have a 40' Monaco Diplomat and 24" v-nose enclosed trailer with an RV extended tongue, overall length 70'-1". Not suggesting that you will not have any trouble but we Traveled from GA to MI and now CA going through many states where we were too long. BTW we were passed by many coaches with tag axels (longer than 40') pulling longer trailers than ours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	our MH100.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	367.7 KB
ID:	61276  
1948boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #10

thanks for input

as always appreciate the different ideas and thoughts
Old 04-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #11

Horticulture and Border Patrol have nothing to do with DOT enforcement. DOT and Police enforce Highway rules. 65 ft. in CA unless you are Commercial Carrier then you can get permits. I'd go to CO, you can be 90 ft long there. LOL
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Going through the same issues now in selecting a trailer to pull the toys with us. Have a 42 motorhome and what trailer to pull? Issue with stacker internal height (toys are tall making it really tight) and one of the options is to pull a 40' car trailer.

Have had lots of advice to go ahead as if you do not draw attention to yourself it is highly unlikely you will be stopped for length alone. Don't speed or drive erratically and you "should" be OK.

I have not had the nerve to talk to the insurance company to ask what would happen if I were in an 'at fault' accident and was written up for over length. Possibly nothing if it were a minor fender bender but what if it was serious? I am sure the insurance company would immediately deny any responsibility for coverage. If I were not at fault and written up would the other insurance company sue me for the damages (and then my company bail)?

I imagine if you were a foot or so over you could claim a reasonable intent not to deliberately break the law but that could be problematic depending on the issue details. However being a lot over one could not use a "reasonable" defense. I doubt a claim of 'I did not know' would get you very far either.

For me there is too much at stake here to take the chance. There is a saying that if you want to play you have to pay. I have decided to pay the extra for a solution that keeps us within the length guidelines and under the towing weight of the coach. I will be able to achieve the 65' limit which is good for most states. The few that have a shorter limit will be avoided (I will take my tourist dollars elsewhere or unload the car and do a day visit).

Have come to the conclusion that there should be standardization between jurisdictions. Would make it a lot simpler. However I guess that much like parents who make house rules for the family based on their unique situation and experience. Varies from house to house and the residents of the house have to follow the rules.
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I will post some information about towing length that I was told but have never verified personally. So I am sure it will cause some debate.

FWIW, my coach is 41+ and my 26 foot Pace Cargo Trailer with tongue is 30 foot, that's a total of close to 72 feet. My domicile is Alaska as is my DL.

If towing on any of the Federal Interstate System highways, your rig length is governed by your HOME state. Plus you are allowed to use any side roads within a reasonable distance to acquire fuel and service.

I have traveled extensively throughout the US and Canada without being questioned and have used lots of non-interstate roads however, like others have stated, if I were to be involved in an accident whether it was my fault or not, on a non-federal highway, there would be eyes looking at me closely.

That's why whenever I am traveling anywhere, I always drive safely and defensively having full control of my rig at ALL times.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #14

According to DOT Motor homes (RVs) are not subject to Fed Regs.
Federal Size Regulations for Commercial Motor Vehicles - FHWA
However, and there is forever a however! Floridaa says you must have n overlength permit over 65 ft. Herees the scoop.
State Towing Laws for RVs
And for those too lazy to look it up this is the "LAW"
Maximum Length - RV & Trailer Combo: 65ft.Includes Bumpers. In California, required safety devices may not extend more than 10"
Go ahead and "Make CHPs Day!" They love you.
I had a Peterbilt and pulling a 53 ft trailer in CA always got some curiosity in the Scales as i was exactly 65 ft.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow