Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2018, 02:08 PM   #1

Towing Class A Motorhome

I unfortunately was involved in a accident with by MH. I had to have my coach towed 20 miles to the tow yard, then 45 miles to the insurance adjusters lot and finally an additional 40 miles to its final destination. The questions is I have heard if you tow your MH that far you should remove the drive shaft? No, none of the tow companies said anything about this and no they did not remove the shaft. Does anyone know anything about this?
stevechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #2

Generally speaking, disconnecting the drive shaft is the preferred method for towing an Allison-equipped vehicle. Like many transmissions, Allison does not have a way of lubing the transmission when the engine is not running. How far, how fast, how hot before it causes damage--don't know????????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would add the cost of a transmission to the total.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
The 20 mi tow was probably OK. But every tow I have watched on youtube, and there
are a lot, always take out the DS. I don't understand why the adjuster couldn't come to the tow yard., Eliminating 40 mi tow. Same tow company. Also are you sure they did not remove(disconnect) the the DS. They may have just unhooked the differential end and tied it up ?
capecodbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Sometimes it's easier to pop the axels out. Maybe they did that?
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:08 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had my Ford chassis coach towed three miles and the service disconnected the drive shaft at the differential universal joint. Took a total of less than five minutes.

20 miles for the first tow is can be a bit far and 105 miles total with the multiple tows involved might be pushing the limits. Are you positive they didn't disconnect at the first hook up? Disconnecting is pretty simple and the operators that do it day in and day out can be quick with a wrench.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:13 PM   #7

“Most” companies will disconnect the drive shaft, every MH that has been towed into our shop has been disconnected. It’s cheap insurance for them to disconnect instead of risking a transmission failure.

Can you call the first tow and see if they did?
Old 01-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have breakfast with our local tow operator most every morning.
He says 5 miles and the DS comes out! Don't like buying tyrannies!
Old 01-06-2018, 06:28 PM   #9

My tow guy removed the drive shaft. Towed 20 miles at speeds up to 75mph. He reinstalled it at the tire place but said it was usually their job.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:01 PM   #10

We were towed about 10 miles in November and he disconnected the drive line and hooked it back up at the service station.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:23 PM   #11

Bottom line, the drive shaft should be disconnected. You should make sure the insurance adjuster is aware that the drive shaft wasn't disconnected so he can add an amount for the transmission check/repair. If they want to recover from the tow company I guess they can.

I assume the tow company was dispatched by the insurance company.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:26 PM   #12

Thanks for the feedback. I understand that a quality tow services should disconnect the drive shaft prior to towing. My question now is would they normally reconnect once they drop it off. Due to the accident, I cannot drive for a few weeks and have no way of knowing if any of the three tow services did disconnect or reconnect the ds? I will ask the dealer who is now doing the repairs the status of the ds upon their receipt of my MH. If none of the tow companies disconnected how will I know if damage was done? and what kind of damage am I looking for?
stevechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:41 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Preferred method is to remove an axle, but then they have to provide a cover plate so they usually remove the driveshaft.
Usually the tow driver will reconnect it before leaving.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:33 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There should be evidence of the disconnect and reconnect at the universal joint hardware. Tool marks or such. Maybe even on the drive shaft when it was tied up. And being your coach is a front engine gas rig a drive shaft disconnect is the easiest route to take.

In regards to potential damage have a sample of the transmission fluid sent out for analysis. If there is a problem associated with the lack of lubrication during the tow the wear metals counts might spike for iron, chromium and maybe aluminum and copper for bearings, gears, shafts and other such moving parts.

I think you'll be OK. If would be a really big rookie mistake from three different tow drivers not to disconnect. Even towing a daily driver incorrectly and spinning the transmission can cause damage so doing something to prevent further damage and cost to them by their action is high on the check list.

Tags
class a, motorhome, tow, towing