Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #1

Towing Power

Just ordered a 35QBA Tiffin and am trying to decide on our TOAD. It comes with the standard gas V 10 and says it can tow 5000 lbs. We will be doing quit a bit of traveling over the passes in the north west. Am wondering if I can get some opinions of what weight toad I should aim for. Please help. Thanks much
John
jcbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 10:28 AM   #2

Since you just ordered it I'd call tiffin for specs. my guess 5,000# would be max.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Obviously you should stay under the 5000 lbs. I would get a toad that is comfortable and something you feel safe in.

The MH will tow your toad well. You may not be able to race up the hills but for me that is not what it it all about. I am on permanent vacation and the journey for us is just as enjoyable as the destination. If you are climbing the passes there is lots of scenery to view, so a slower pace will let you see more of it.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You need to decide how the toad will be used. We generally travel with another couple, so our toad needs to be comfortable for four adults. If it's just you, comfort for two adults is fine. I didn't want to have a bunch of cars at home since it's just the two of us. My wife's Lexus is not towable and I have a truck. I've had a truck my entire life and will probably always have one.

So.....my choice was a truck that was capable of being towed. There are several factors in picking a toad. My best suggestion is to tow the lightest thing you can find that you are comfortable with, Honda, Saturn, Mini Cooper, Chrysler 4x4's etc. I would try and stay around 3500 pounds or less. Jeeps are very popular, but heavy.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lighter is of course better. That said, the toad must do what you want of it. People carrying, off-roading, etc. We tow a ~5000 pound jeep setup for off-roading with our large gasser. We go uphill ok, but won't win the race to the top. Usually can maintain 50 mph, less on the really steep climbs.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:37 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
As a general rule, your towing capacity is normally the lowest of:

- GCWR minus weight of MH when ready to travel (loaded).

- Hitch capacity.

- MH tow capacity.

- Chassis tow capacity...some times the last two are different.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #7

Along with "towing power", there is "Stopping power". The toad should be one that meets several requirements. Comfort. Safety. Economy. and "BRAKES such as "brake-buddy.. As indicated, get the lightest weight that meets these requirements. "You can go uphill, "too slow", many, many times, BUT you can only go down hill "too fast", ONCE.....
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Lighter is of course better. That said, the toad must do what you want of it. People carrying, off-roading, etc. We tow a ~5000 pound jeep setup for off-roading with our large gasser. We go uphill ok, but won't win the race to the top. Usually can maintain 50 mph, less on the really steep climbs.
Thanks much for your reply. I would like to go at least 40 -45 mph going up the steeper grades.

John
jcbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbron View Post
Thanks much for your reply. I would like to go at least 40 -45 mph going up the steeper grades.

John
You have a heavy MH for a gasser so don't expect those speeds up steep grades while towing. You are about 5000 lbs. heaver than my rig with the same engine and transmission.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:53 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
you will be able to pass everything but gas stations. Gale
galeran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, tow, towing