Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2016, 12:46 PM   #1

Towmax Tires

Anyone know anything about Towmax tires ?. I see a good deal on them for my 5th wheel, only saw one review and it was good. Thanks
savedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #2

Hi,
I'm curious what wheel size, PSI rating and gross trailer weight you're working with?
top model: ST235/85R16 E/10 3640 @ 80 ?
Do they list their speed rating anywhere?

Happy motoring.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #3

I'll be the first to step in and say those tires are junk. All trailer tires made in China have terrible reliability. I would recommend looking for LT truck tires instead. I use Michelin XPS Ribs.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #4

I got a new set of 4 when 3 showed signs of delaminating. No charge. They are warranted for 5 years material and workmanship.

While you are shopping, take a look at these: Radial Trail HD
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:09 PM   #5

Up there in the search box, type "blowmax" then decide if cheap Chinese tires are a good deal.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:11 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
STAY AWAY! They were the OEM tires for the maunfacturer of my previous 5th wheel, for several years. Their website was loaded with reports of failure after failure, resulting in new 5th wheels sustaining $$thousands in damages. I was one of the lucky ones that discovered this through my research. My new 5th wheel went straight to Discount Tire where I removed and replaced the brand new Blowmax tires. I baretered those tires to a concrete sub for some concrete work.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:31 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A couple of things to never cut corners on are brakes and tires. Chinese tires in general do not have a good reputation for reliability.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:30 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
A couple of things to never cut corners on are brakes and tires. Chinese tires in general do not have a good reputation for reliability.

Ken
True, Chinese tires are not good...had them on a 5th wheel, never again. Replaced them with LT tires.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
We had a blowmax delamination on a 3 year old tire....plus another one about to delaminate.....replaced them with Michelin XPS rib and have had no issues since.....I will never have any chinese tires on my unit again......ST tires are all made by the Chinese...Maxxis has a good name in the ST family.....But it was easier to switch to a LT tire for me.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:05 PM   #10

The best tires to use on RV's with 16" tires are Bridgestone Duravis R250's, Michelin XPS Ribbed tires and the Goodyear G614 tires. I cannot remember seeing any complaints on any of them.

If the above are too expensive, go for a Sailun G rated ribbed tire. It's the only decent Chinese tire on the retail tire market. You can buy'em online, as their dealers are few and far between.

If you've got 15" tires, the M8008 Maxxis tires are preferred.

Come to think of it, I buy all my tires online to save $$$$$.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #11

with no other op info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
The best tires to use on RV's with 16" tires are Bridgestone Duravis R250's, Michelin XPS Ribbed tires and the Goodyear G614 tires. I cannot remember seeing any complaints on any of them.

If the above are too expensive, go for a Sailun G rated ribbed tire. It's the only decent Chinese tire on the retail tire market. You can buy'em online, as their dealers are few and far between.

If you've got 15" tires, the M8008 Maxxis tires are preferred.

Come to think of it, I buy all my tires online to save $$$$$.
X2^^ we never had any Sailun issues on past <15k trailer. We had them online / drop shipped, a local Les Schwab installed them at a CG.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
X2^^ we never had any Sailun issues on past <15k trailer. We had them online / drop shipped, a local Les Schwab installed them at a CG.
Schwab dismounted your old and mounted your new tires at the CG? Great service
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
Schwab dismounted your old and mounted your new tires at the CG? Great service
We have high regards for Les Schwab stores.
Well, they safely supported one side at a time, removed wheels then did the mounting / balancing at their shop and returned. Did the spare also. BTW: Those Sailun's used very small weights I might add. Very prompt tire service. They used air tools and torqued by hand plus offered to re-torque the lug nuts anytime. Manager asked if he could try to match the online price next time.
I tried to slip the tech(s) a tip upon completion, but he politely refused said it wasn't necessary. I insisted, nope he said respectfully with a smile ducking into his truck.

FWIW,
There was a young work camper at that CG having trouble with a slow leak on his '14 Ram RF OEM tire. He's been by two different tire shops in several weeks both of which were not able to find a leak. One even wanted a nominal fee to leave his truck there a half day.

I told him to try this LS store. While he waited they dismounted the tire in question, found a tiny something, inner patched it, popped in a new stem and balanced the wheel, sent him happily on at no charge. Told him to swing by anytime and they'd hand re-torque that alloy wheel again.

There are still businesses that do the right thing.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:00 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
.....replaced them with Michelin XPS rib and have had no issues since......
These are what I replaced my Towmax with, all 6 of them. I put 17K (loaded to capacity) on that toy hauler and they still looked new when I sold it. I rarely had to add air to them, even after sitting over the winter. These tires are fully steel encased commercial LT's. They weigh about 1-1/2 times what the ST's weigh, and was told by DT they are about the most difficult tires to mount, due to their wall thickness.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, tow