Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2021, 05:24 PM   #1

TPMS installation questions

OK folks so I think I may have screwed up. I purchased a TPMS system for the 8 wheels on our HR motorhome. I was planning on extending the valve stems on the inner duel wheels as those valve stems are only accessible if you remove the hubcaps. (PITA) So, now Im learning I should have bought "flow through" sensors on the TPMS as those sensors get installed between the valve stem and the extender. Is this the way it is? Typically do you remove the valve core coming out of the wheel when installing valve extenders? Dang info is tough to find regarding these systems. Thanks in advance for any replies!
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2021, 08:39 PM   #2

I will try to comment on a few of your issues. First, valve stem extenders can be a problem, and they fail. It is not advisable to attach a TPMS on the end of a valve stem extender due to the forces it creates and can cause failure (been there and done that). When my valve stem extender blew out at Freeway speed and I lost a tire, the tire repair guy said...we see problems with valve stem extenders all the time; we don't recommend them. There are arguments both ways. Just telling you my experience. They create different forces on the small stem. IT depends on the wheel, the valve stem location, the type of extender and how it is mounted to the wheel, etc.

On a short metal stem, a TPMS is ok and i have been using them for many miles without a problem.

The type of valve stem extenders I had (fixed, firm chrome, not flexible) just screwed onto the shorter valve stem of the wheel. It had it's own core in the extender that pushed on the other valve core when filling/emptying air.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:46 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Depending on what brand you bought, you may be able to contact the manufacturer and they will swap them for you. I have heard TST would do that.
GypsyCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:56 PM   #4

My experience with two sets of TST flow through ... they're a PITA adding air.

I now use TST NON flow through sensors.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:32 PM   #5

Reading this thread with interest as we are in the process of deciding on a TPMS, Probably the TST 507 from many write ups albeit others have mentioned they've been happy with others, but equally seen a few saying changed over after the fact to TST507.

Can someone advise what is the best valve extenders to use for sure? Hubby has the same problem as the OP, having to remove the hub cap to access the inside rear tires, and even one of the others is hard to use a pressure gauge on at the right angle. As well many comment against the flow thru ones so we'd like to be able to go with non-flow thru's?

Any all advice appreciated with open ears.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:34 PM   #6

internal TPMS

I am a contrarian, I like internal sensors, like your car and hate extensions which are prone to leak. I have DuallyValve solid stems with Alligator V2b double seal valve caps and the TST 507 internal sensors. Since you have to break down the tire to install the solid stems, you might as well add the internal sensors at the same time. The double seal caps let you adjust air pressure with out removing the caps and the solid stems are bent at an angle or length that makes getting a gauge on them easy. The batteries in the sensors last 5-7 years and that is when you will probably be changing your tires. The internal sensors will give you more accurate readings as they report what is happening in the tire and not influenced by outside conditions. Agree that flow thru are PITA, as they restrict air flow, so slow to fill and prone to plug if you use beads.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 03:56 AM   #7

Very interesting and informative comments, thanks to all. Im wondering if a tire shop (there's a great place near me) could remove the existing valve stem and just add longer valve stems on the inside wheels. My one inside wheel already has a 4" flexible extension on it. I guess Id have to remove it to install the sensor for that wheel. FYI to one of the posters- there are both air chucks and tire pressure gauges that can pump / check air at different angles, they're just a pain to use. You probably know that, Im just saying. Yep, you have to remove the hubcap to access. Perhaps that's the best solution for me. Ill be checking the tire place soon and will post what they tell me. Im excited about the TPMS system, just a bit disappointed its not turning out to be "plug and play"
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:21 AM   #8
NXR

I have never heard of anyone doing what you mentioned: valve stem - flow-through TPMS sensor - valve stem extension. The TPMS sensors are plastic. I can just imagine how much stress a long spinning lever (the extension) puts on a plastic TPMS sensor and it's not good in my mind.

How often do you add air? The flow-through sensors are heavier and longer than the cap sensors, 100% of the time. I need to add air to my motorhome tires twice a year. I am not willing to run the risk of a longer sensor getting kicked or whacked by road debris or whatever. I also am not willing to run the risk of a heavier sensor stressing the valve stem 100% of the time that a tire is turning.

TPMS sensors should only be installed on metal valve stems due to the extra weight they add. If you tow a car, you should consider adding TPMS sensors to it as well. When I used a dolly I had the valve stems changed to metal. I have not done that on the car yet but will, if possible.

If you do not think a towed vehicle should also have TPMS sensors, ask yourself one question: Would this person have pulled over a bit sooner than they did if they had TPMS sensors on the toad? https://www.motor1.com/news/450203/c...rk-damaged-rv/

Valve stem extensions can and have caused leaks, especially if the extension is unsupported on the far end, the end sticking through the outside tire. So have regular valve stems.

You can buy Z-shaped metal brackets to hold that far end in place. I have Alcoa wheels with oval-ish holes in them. Alcoa and others make form-fitting rubber inserts for those holes with a hole in the center that the valve stem extension sticks through. Even braided valve stem extensions hold up as long as they're supported at each end.

The Alcoa rubber inserts look like this: https://www.amazon.com/ALCOA-225393-...s%2C203&sr=8-3

I am perfectly comfortable with extensions as long as they are checked a few times a year to assure they are tight to the actual valve stem and they are supported on the far end.

FWIW,

Ray
Old 04-30-2021, 07:33 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been running TST TPMS on our rig since they first came out.

I have had no problems with them breaking off due to centrifugal force. I have the flow through and like them. If properly installed you should not have to air up tires very often at all.

I found that if you pay the price for the better extenders they are well worth the cost.

When I purchased new tires I had steel valve stems installed with longer ones for the inside duals.

More than once they have saved my behind by alerting me to a leaking or low tire.👍
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 03:20 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnuts View Post
Very interesting and informative comments, thanks to all. Im wondering if a tire shop (there's a great place near me) could remove the existing valve stem and just add longer valve stems on the inside wheels. My one inside wheel already has a 4" flexible extension on it. I guess Id have to remove it to install the sensor for that wheel. FYI to one of the posters- there are both air chucks and tire pressure gauges that can pump / check air at different angles, they're just a pain to use. You probably know that, Im just saying. Yep, you have to remove the hubcap to access. Perhaps that's the best solution for me. Ill be checking the tire place soon and will post what they tell me. Im excited about the TPMS system, just a bit disappointed its not turning out to be "plug and play"
Many will say that the Dually valve stems are the only way to go. They're an aftermarket, long valve stem, to replace your short ones. They're over a $100.00. Years ago, I wanted to do what you're talking about and you really need to do. Remove the duals, and replace the stem with one that will fit through the outer wheel that will be easy to fill. When I did mine, the shop which was both an automotive and truck tire repair, had an entire cabinet of various length valve stems, including ones long enough to reach through the outer wheel of my 22.5 wheels. They were only $11.00 each. Check your tire dealer first before you spend the money on Dually stems.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
My experience with two sets of TST flow through ... they're a PITA adding air.

I now use TST NON flow through sensors.
And having to take the sensor off with the special tool IS NOT a PITA? I have flow thru on the coach and regular on the Jeep/towed.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnuts View Post
What I did was go to a tire/truck tire place and have them turn the outer tire's valve stem 90 degrees so it was no perpendicular to the outside tire. Now it's very easy to air up.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:10 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
TPMS installation questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
And having to take the sensor off with the special tool IS NOT a PITA? I have flow thru on the coach and regular on the Jeep/towed.

I would say most people I know don’t use the “lock” that needs the tool to remove .. just screw it on. The chance of somebody trying to steal the caps is nil. As easy as replacing the normal caps …. actually easier as they are larger. I had problems with the flow thru caps none with the std ones.
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #14

Don't use the locking ones. PITA
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, installation, tpms