Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2020, 09:12 AM   #1

TPMS monitors

Hello I have a quick question in regards to TPMS monitors for Motor homes. My last motor home was a class a Monaco and I owned it for 16 years. Current one is a Holiday Rambler Class A. I always check my pressure on my trips. However in the last 22 months I have blown 2 brand new inside duals on the old motor home and recently 1 inside dual on the new one. All tires are the same brand and I won't be running those any longer. My question for those of you running the TPMS what are things you like and don't, what are your recommendations and have they been worth the purchase.

Thanks
RDRKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2020, 09:17 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We use the TireTraker system for the following reasons.

1. Easy to program and use.

2. Cap-type sensors to prevent possible air loss.

3. User-replaceable low-cost sensor batteries.

4. Lowest cost (at the time) for a system with 10 sensors.

5. Lifetime warranty
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:47 AM   #3

my guess is you either have wrong load rating tires or your running wrong pressure or really bad tires.. but you gave no info on any weights or ratings, ect.. really Rare to blow new tires more than once without some good reason..
Old 06-18-2020, 01:02 PM   #4

I won't recommend any particular TPMS because I don't know if some are better than others since I've only owned the ones I bought five or six years ago. But I will make some general statements.

I look at them as an important safety device that may warn me I have a problem. Therefore I bought good ones and not the cheapest ones I could find.

Checking your tire pressure often is great, I used to do it myself, but right after you checked your tire pressure you ran over a nail backing out of your driveway, a TPMS might warn you that happened, checking your tire pressure two hours ago won't.

Some tire pressure monitors tell you if the tires are building up heat by reading the temperature of the air inside the tire. That could save you a dangerous blowout.

I tow a fifth wheel, the last flat tire I had on a fifth wheel I didn't even know I had a flat until I saw smoke coming off the back of the trailer in my rearview mirror, the trailer towed just the same even though the tire was destroyed. I didn't have a TPMS on that trailer.

So I said all that just to say this. I will always have tire pressure monitors on any RV I own, I wouldn't think of leaving home without it.

theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:30 PM   #5

Thanks, The 2 motor homes are completely different in weight. My first one was a gasser and weighed in at about 22000 empty. Both tires blew in heat and motor home was lightly loaded, no trailer, had food and 60 gallons of water and basic items for a long weekend. Tires were h rated on that motor home which was rated at about 6200 lbs single and 110 psi. Outside temp when one blew was about 80 and the other was around 70.

Current motorhome is a 2006 Holiday Rambler ambassador with the 8.1 cummins isc. It has a gross rating of 33k and towing combined of 43. I was towing a trailer on this one with a dirt bike and some gear for my son's mx racing. Tongue weight guessing on the heavy side of 500. Tires were 16 ply 22.5 tires. I believe also H rated but not positive on that one since they were on it when I purchased it. In the 17 years of owning a motor home its been this particular brand tire that I've had issues with. Tires were highly recommended and rated for the load that we figured I would haul. Current tires are the same that are run on dump trucks and over the road.

I agree that they could have gone low, all tires were set at max within an hour of my trip start and on cold temps. All 3 inside duals which do have more heat than the outside ones because of general air flow. I really wish I had the information to say tires or air pressure or load but I generally feel in each case I was under the weight rating, so it causes me to lean more towards pressure or tire.

I was starting to look for a good TPMS and have reaffirmed the desire for one with the latest blow out. I have noticed a lot of them are rechargeable, I will likely leave it plugged in with switched power and wanted to see what other were recommending. I do want to be able to see all 6 tires I want to monitor with both heat and pressure and I'm hopeful that it goes red and/or changes state and chirps on either of those falling out of range.

Thanks everyone, the TPMS is a new one for me other than in my daily vehicles.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:45 PM   #6

When you check your tires are you checking for slow leaks in the valve cores when your done ?

I always check for leaks in the valve core any time I check tire pressure. I spit on my finger and wipe it over the valve hole and watch for bubbles.

I also only check my tires 3 to 4 times a year.

Do you have balancing dirt in the tires ?

Are you replacing the valve caps ? Are you placing them in the dirt, when off ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #7

We have the TST 507 system that we use on our Newmar Baystar; tow dolly and toad. We went with TST based on the consistent reviews that stated they had rare issues with signal dropping and nominal negative comments on the tire pressure and temperature reading accuracy. We also liked that the TST has alarm settings for both air pressure and temperature along with an easy to read monitor.

Having said that, we were very impressed with several other brands that you will find are highly recommended on this site.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:04 PM   #8

This motor home I am not able to answer the question as far as tire beads for balancing, my last one I did. I am usually in the RV about every other weekend and usually check each time since often I am towing a trailer behind. Each time I have checked I have never been more than 10 lbs less than what I had the 2 weekends prior.

I have checked for slow leaks in the past and on other occasions but I'm fairly sure I didn't the times I had the issues. I do run the braided extensions to bring the valve stems out where you have access on both motor homes and have had the o ring go bad in the past which I guess in part is why I am anal about checking the pressures. I do have roadside but I really am getting sick of changing tires on the side of the road. The last one they wanted to tow it so I just said bag it and tore down and mounted and reinstalled the tire myself, it was quicker. I do have to say in some ways you have to chuckle, I would like to say no one can have that bad of luck with tires.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:03 PM   #9

i started driving cement trucks and dump trucks in '74 and drove OTR in '78 never had same tires.. const trucks sidewall is different and never really get hot as they are stopping for periods 5-8 times daily. there are tires reated for highway, short haul. city and such a city delivery tire is tough for curbs and constatnt turning. so never used OTR. here is generals site explains it some.. site https://generaltire.com/tires/commercial and guide
https://generaltire.com/sites/defaul...TA%28LR%29.pdf these things are seldom explained to buyers. as the sales person many times has no experiance with application but does know sizes.. hey if they fit use em eh.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDRKR View Post
This motor home I am not able to answer the question as far as tire beads for balancing, my last one I did. I am usually in the RV about every other weekend and usually check each time since often I am towing a trailer behind. Each time I have checked I have never been more than 10 lbs less than what I had the 2 weekends prior.

I have checked for slow leaks in the past and on other occasions but I'm fairly sure I didn't the times I had the issues. I do run the braided extensions to bring the valve stems out where you have access on both motor homes and have had the o ring go bad in the past which I guess in part is why I am anal about checking the pressures. I do have roadside but I really am getting sick of changing tires on the side of the road. The last one they wanted to tow it so I just said bag it and tore down and mounted and reinstalled the tire myself, it was quicker. I do have to say in some ways you have to chuckle, I would like to say no one can have that bad of luck with tires.
Never more the 10 PSI low, every 2 weeks ??

You have leaky tires.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:44 PM   #11

i add air once a year. course osmosis in some brands run rampent
Old 06-18-2020, 09:29 PM   #12

If your interested in watching a review video about TST tire monitor systems from a young Rv couple they did a pretty good job
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, tpms