Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2020, 05:12 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
TPMS question/tire temps

Just installed a new TPMS system on my DP. It tracks individual tire temperature, but I have been on several Michelin sites and find nothing in the specs regarding tire temperatures. If properly inflated, does temperature matter? BTW, my tires are XZE2, 275/80/22.5.

TIA for your input.

Keith
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #2

Yes and No! What I watch for if the tires on the same side have a tempeture differentence of more than 10 degrees between them. If so, I will check to see if something is wrong with one tire.

My tires temps on the same side are normally +/- 5 degrees difference between them.

Properly inflated tires will expand in air pressure as the tire heats up and will run warmer, but the tire manufacturers have never provide a tire temperature that you should look for.

So, I look at the delta T between tires to see if there is an issue.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:34 PM   #3

No, tire manufactures account for changing temps.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:43 PM   #4

In addition to a normal rise when driving, you can expect higher on the sunny side and if an exhaust comes out on a tire.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:24 PM   #5

If you're talking about the end of tire stem type indicators, they're relatively useless. Getting a realistic temp of the air inside a tire through a stem between 2 and about 8 inches away without any air circulation is ludicrous. It'll tell you which side the sun is on, but otherwise forget any meaningful information. The remote pressure indicating system is quite useful and has saved my butt a number of times, especially on the toad tires.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:53 PM   #6

They are just like gauges on the dash.....and mine are accurate, pressure wise........really don't need the exact temps, but once you get a baseline, you'll have a better chance of getting stopped before damage is done......mine is a EEZ brand and will monitor 22 tires...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:23 PM   #7

Tireman9 is a retired tire design engineer and a commercial member of irv2.com. He opinion of tire temperature from the stem-mounted sensors are what jimcumminsw said. You will fine a section on his website explaining.
You will find answers to almost any question about tires there too. I seem to remember him saying tire temperature is usually safe to 200° however tire life is shortened at that temperature.
I have my TST display at the factory setting, I think it is 158°, been so long I have forgotten.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
If you're talking about the end of tire stem type indicators, they're relatively useless. Getting a realistic temp of the air inside a tire through a stem between 2 and about 8 inches away without any air circulation is ludicrous. It'll tell you which side the sun is on, but otherwise forget any meaningful information. The remote pressure indicating system is quite useful and has saved my butt a number of times, especially on the toad tires.
That's an opinion but short on fact. It's not a system designed to provide precise temperature indications but rather a trend for the driver to see if something abnormal is happening. Example a couple years ago I saw a rising temperature on the Jeep toad, right front. Pressures were normal. I stopped at a rest area but nothing abnormal noted except the right front tire/hub assembly was hotter than all the rest of the tires. We were not far from the destination and when we got there I measured all the tires and assemblies with the IR laser temp gun. Right front HOT. Additionally the brake pads were noticeably worn.

Bottom line the flexible brake line ti the right front caliper partially collapsed causing the caliper to hold pressure longer, keeping brake pressure applied and raising the tire temperature. There was no pull or different braking noticed. A 5,000# Jeep doesn't affect a 35,000# motorhome much. I spent part of a day rebuilding the right front Jeep brakes rather than seeing NOLA.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:31 AM   #9

Like others have said, specific temp is not as important as watching for changes or spikes.

A dragging brake or a failing hub bearing will create a lot of heat. When it gets really bad, you can feel the heat just walking past the wheel, so without a doubt the TPMS will detect it too.

I don't worry about the temps unless one axle gets much higher than the rest. Then it's time to stop and pull out the infrared temp gun.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:52 AM   #10

Last year coming out of the Virginia mountains my traveling buddy called and informed me his TPMS indicated higher temps on one tire on his travel trailer. We pulled over and discovered that the brake hub has come apart.

Purchased a new brake drum etc. at Tractor Supply and completed trip.

Without the temp indicator this could have been a disaster.

I am a firm believer that TPMS systems are a necessary safety tool.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:32 PM   #11
NXR

As you've read, the temperature function is far more useful on a trailer than a motorhome. Just be certain to not set the alarm threshold too low or it will stop your heart momentarily.

Ray

Tags
tpms