Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2020, 05:00 AM   #1

Trade A to 5th wheel & pickup

We have had A type for many many years. Current 07 Beaver Marquis. Love the inside of it, 2nd one. I need a new pickup and tossing around idea of going to a 5th wheel and new pickup. Two things are problematic so far. I donít want a monster pickup. Couple friends have them and canít park in normal spots and sit up so high, hard for passengers to get in. This limits me to a 3/4 ton diesel. Second situation is we havenít found any really upscale 5th wheels (just started looking). None of them have any cabinet- storage space and very small closets? Anyone out here been in this situation and if so any words of advice?

Safe travels all
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2020, 06:00 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
The biggest issue I see in your scenario is attempting to find an "upscale" 5th wheel that can be pulled with a 3/4 ton truck. Every high end model I looked at was well into 1 ton dually territory. I don't know what you will be using a truck for but perhaps a midsized towable Ranger or Colorado and keep the Class A would be an easier transition.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:27 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I believe the most upscale 5er you can get (aside from really specialized one-off custom places) is Vanleigh. I think Tiffin owns them.

Or you could just flat-tow your new 1/2-ton pickup with your class A, which is what we do.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:37 AM   #4

I entertain the same thought every year or so and for the quality and size we would want we would need at least a 3/4 ton diesel. We are going stick with a class A.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:15 AM   #5

I've thought about going to a different type rig but haven't figured out how. We almost always have a boat behind us and because I'm not interested in triple towing, our only choice is a motorized camper of some sort. We've had truck campers, a class C, and two class A's that took care of this. The Jeep can be towed behind it as well, which for now, makes the motorhome the most versatile. Flat towing a truck (midsize for me) behind the present rig might be the best option.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
I donít want a monster pickup. Couple friends have them and canít park in normal spots and sit up so high, hard for passengers to get in.
By saying 'monster pickup', are you talking about the pickups with big hips (dual rear tires)? Yeah, difficult to park at the grocery store. You most likely do NOT need dual tires. If you have a single rear wheel PU, learn to back into parking spaces. Once you learn that, you'll wonder why you never did it before. Easy to back in, extremely easy to pull out.

A one ton isn't much larger than a 3/4 ton. Looking at RAM, the difference is about 1/2". If your truck doesn't come with nerf bars (steps), order them or put them on yourself aftermarket.

If you are worried about the truck being too high to get in, and you don't like the 'steps' idea, you may be really disappointed with climbing up the stairs in a 5th. Not only are there several steps to get into the 5th, there are more getting into the bedroom.

5th aren't a bad thing, you just have to understand what you are getting into. I've owned 2 Arctic Foxes. The first one was 25' long and pulled with a RAM 2500. Now I have a Fox that is 30' long and pull it with a 3500, Single Rear Wheel. I've had no problems with those combinations. The 3500 passes slower traffic going uphill.

Good luck in your ventures and travels.

Back to morning brew . . .
CalCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:37 AM   #7

How are you; and DW; with stairs ?

After 4 , 5th wheel trailers , the main thing that had us looking at Class A DP was the flat interior floor .
Up/down , stairs to bed/bath rooms, in the 5er, was giving the DW's knees grief .
Old 11-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

There are some very nice 5W's, but choosing a luxury trailer that won't be a let-down from a Marquis (space, cabinet quality, etc) puts you into the 36-38 ft length class and probably 16,000+ lb GVWR. Odds are you are going to need dual rear wheels to carry the pin weight for that (3200-4000 lbs) plus passengers and the weight of the hitch. Especially if the truck is one of the upscale trim models.

Why change your house to get a new truck? You can have a new truck of most any size & style, including a smaller one. And if you want to bring it with you, get a 4WD model you can tow behind the Marquis. For what you save by NOT swapping RVs, you can have the new truck free!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check this one out, no stairs inside.

https://palominorv.com/fifth-wheels/river-ranch
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:06 PM   #10

This is a very upscale manufacturer and you customize it to fit your needs. With your future truck spec you'll probably need to do a shorter size because when you customize it becomes a heavy unit. Personally, I think you're going to be spoiled by your motorhome.

https://horizonsrv.com/

When you find a manufacturer you're interested in then go to their owner's forum for detailed questions.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 04:26 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with previous posts that suggest flat towing a pickup behind your class A. I tow a 4x4 F150 and love it. Easy, fast + all that storage in the bed. I can even bring my Harley along when I want to! If you love your Beaver(who wouldn't?) stick with what you know and buy any dang pickup you I want!
Yonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:25 PM   #12

A SRW Ram 3500 Diesel with the 6 SPD Aisin and 3:73 gears per the Ram towing guide has a GCWR of 32,240 LBS. This will definitely pull a high end 5er such as a Cedar Creek, Columbus, Riverstone and the new River Ranch just to name a few.

If you want to, you can check out the Ram Towing Guide for 2020, or early years which provides information on all models of the Ram.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:18 AM   #13

5th wheel

Thanks for all the posts everyone. We have a great toad band no interest in pulling a new pickup. Guess I have answered my own questions. No way to do a fifth wheel without a one ton? Just not going to find anything with interior like our Marquis. Thanks again for thoughts all

Safe travels
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:28 AM   #14

Yes you can do a 5th with a 3/4
What you want to look for is pin weight on the fifth wheel and payload on the pickup

These are approximate and the label on door jam on the truck is king.

3/4 ton you will have the lower end of E class tires so you will max out at under 3K for payload ( remember that includeds you your wife the hitch )

1 ton SRW has higher in the E class tires and will be 1K more.

lets take this for example
https://www.generalrv.com/product/ne...5bhl-1284488-5
Hitch Weight 2241 lbs
Yep right 3/4 would work fine you just need to keep your heavy stuff as far back in the trailer as possible.

Seller doesn't list the pin weight ?
About 20-25 percent of the trailer weight will be pin weight using the example trailer
12,376 lbs ..... so its 18 percent on this trailer rules are meant to be broken could have been broken on the heavy side verify before you buy

Tags
5th wheel