Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2021, 12:44 PM   #15
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
Sadly, I have personal information about people who need this, and more than one of them. Friend of mine has a small SUV and a big pop up. She is legal on her weights (barely), but she lives in Minnesota where brakes are required above 3000 pounds. Not surprisingly she find her rig hard to drive and stop! I tried telling her she would be very happy with the minimal cost of trailer brakes, but she doesn’t agree. Another friend has a 3,500 pound rig and just refuses on principle. He thinks his truck can stop his small trailer just fine, and trailer brakes are “government overreach.” Sigh.
Tell your friend to hook up and find a clear road and run it up to 50 MPH or so then make a panic stop. Follow them with a video camera so you can show the police the results of their stupidity.

As far as guberment overreach, I just hate when laws are made to protect the rest of us from some peoples stupidity.

Find new friends.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Toads and trailers are not legally the same thing in all states.

If I tow a 3000 pound trailer and need trailer brakes, what do I need if I put 3000 pounds in the bed of the truck?
If the truck is rated for the 3000# load, nothing. The service brakes are adequate. The issue here is the weight on unbraked axles, not the weight of the combination.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:48 PM   #17

I just find it interesting that the truck brakes are adequate to stop with a 3000# load in the bed but inadequate to stop with a 3000# trailer in tow.

Seems to me that an extra 3000# is an extra 3000# regardless of where it's located.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:14 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Seems to me that an extra 3000# is an extra 3000# regardless of where it's located.

Weight on the braking surfaces (i.e., tires).

Old 11-29-2021, 01:32 AM   #19

This is very informative info -- thanks for posting.

Because trailers cross state lines, I wonder, does the trailer mfg build to suit the most rigid requirement? I mean, trailers don't have use "prohibited where unlawful" conditions attached to the sale.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:39 AM   #20

Quote:
I just find it interesting that the truck brakes are adequate to stop with a 3000# load in the bed but inadequate to stop with a 3000# trailer in tow.

At 3000 pounds the trailer has come under the requirement for supplemental braking which includes breakaway control.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:25 AM   #21

Quote:

I had the same question, but I then recalled some of that physics stuff from school. I and others (some of who posted what I think are more readable explanations than mine) have posted several times about why this is not true. The tires on the braked axles don't magically develop more friction just because there is weight on unbraked axles in tow.

You should be able to find those explanations in a search. Here's one of mine: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/uhau...es-515069.html
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:37 AM   #22

Quote:

You are not considering the hitch.

If the towing vehicle and the towed item are not 100% lined up straight, during braking the towed item can push the back end of the towing vehicle to the side. Jackknife.

Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:55 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My thoughts on this are simple, if I can add several thousand pounds to the combined weight of my vehicle by towing a load and not increase the stopping distance because what ever I am towing has functional brakes, that would be a good thing.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:42 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
This is very informative info -- thanks for posting.

Because trailers cross state lines, I wonder, does the trailer mfg build to suit the most rigid requirement? I mean, trailers don't have use "prohibited where unlawful" conditions attached to the sale.
My guess would be the trailer manufacturers build their trailers to sell in the widest possible market. Since nearly all states have trailer brake requirements for certain weight bearing trailers, that is what they build--trailers with brakes adequate to stop the max load capacity of the trailer.

Disclaimer, I know little of trailers or towable rvs. It may be possible that the manufacturers offer the brakes as options, and let the dealer/customer decide whether or not to include them. I suppose a dealer in a state that requires brakes would not be allowed to sell if the trailer did not meet the state's safety requirements.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:57 AM   #25

Quote:

Braking Power is based on the vehicles GVWR
3000# in the truck bed is part of the trucks weight ratings

3000# being towed by truck is independent of trucks weight and therefore separate weight requiring its own braking power
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Toads and trailers are not legally the same thing in all states.

If I tow a 3000 pound trailer and need trailer brakes, what do I need if I put 3000 pounds in the bed of the truck?
If the 3000lbs in the bed of the truck does not put the truck over any of the manufacturers weight ratings, the driver should be able to operate the truck in a safe manner, as it is being used within the specified limits.

I suppose why you need is to understand that you’re driving a truck with 3000lbs in the bed.

How is that question relevant to the subject of towing a trailer or toad?
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
If the 3000lbs in the bed of the truck does not put the truck over any of the manufacturers weight ratings, the driver should be able to operate the truck in a safe manner, as it is being used within the specified limits.

I suppose why you need is to understand that you’re driving a truck with 3000lbs in the bed.

How is that question relevant to the subject of towing a trailer or toad?

Discussion about Braking............duh
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Discussion about Braking............duh
It is 3:19 here in the east. Your latest post came in at 4:02? On edit, I am running future posts also.

Tags
brake, trailer