Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2021, 08:53 PM   #43

I repowered my Wanderlodge because I couldn't take 15 mph both up and down any more, and in British Columbia 6 per cent is a gentle grade. Its been more than a year, 400 hours and around $20,000 after buying a donor truck and doing every single thing myself. I knew what I was getting into and do not regret it but you need to be realistic with the cost benefit analysis.
Bearmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2021, 11:30 PM   #44

Spartan Chassis
Re:"Tranny swap or engine repower?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearmtn View Post
I repowered my Wanderlodge because I couldn't take 15 mph both up and down any more, and in British Columbia 6 per cent is a gentle grade. Its been more than a year, 400 hours and around $20,000 after buying a donor truck and doing every single thing myself. I knew what I was getting into and do not regret it but you need to be realistic with the cost benefit analysis.
Glad to hear an opposing opinion.

Here are the objective truths:

Value is in the eye of the beholder.
Rvs are rarely a good investment when $ in vs $ out are considered in isolation.
As such any repower is likely not gonna pass the cost benefit analysis.. but it all points back to the meaning of "benefit"

For me, nor being able to travel where I want towing what I want is a benefit. Based on what I have learned so far, my current setup does not meet my needs.

I question the wisdom of buying one rv (poor $ investment #1) and then following that up with purchasing another rv (poor $ investment #2).

I have to balance buying one rv (poor $ investment #1) and then following that up with purchasing another rv (poor $ investment #2) vs adding more $ to poor $ investment #1 +1 labor and opportunity cost 1 vs leaving as is + opportunity cost 2.

considering the current cost of rvs... buying a newer one seems silly
dulobast25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:34 PM   #45

Spartan Chassis
"Tranny swap or engine repower?"

Is it a bad time to mention that I was able to purchase an 8.3 Cummins with 27k miles (less than my coach) and 6 speed transmission and radiator, intercooler, tranny cooler, electric fans, turbo, etc with all accessories minus tranny ecu?
Old 07-16-2021, 04:21 PM   #46

Might be easier to add an engine in the front and then you would have 4WD.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:05 PM   #47

Spartan Chassis
Tranny swap or engine repower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post
Might be easier to add an engine in the front and then you would have 4WD.
trust me, i thought of that, except with electric motors, but alas, too much work and $$$$
Old 08-14-2021, 10:22 AM   #48
PKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulobast25 View Post
-- snip -- 8.3 Cummins -- snip --
Sounds like you have a plan. Let us know how it works out.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 11:12 PM   #49

Spartan Chassis
"Tranny swap or engine repower?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Sounds like you have a plan. Let us know how it works out.
thanks.

first step is to purchase an Allison md3060 tranny ecu and harness!!!!!!!

Tags
power