Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2021, 06:22 AM   #1

Transfering money to seller

we are about to begin our search for a new to us fiver and truck.
hopefully to a private individual.
looking at spending about 80k combined.

how do you transfer dollars to a person and get your title/rig at the same time?
if i were a seller i would want the money in my account before signing those over....Yet to carry that much cash is nuts.
i will most likely be many hundreds of miles away from my home.

waiting for a check to clear can take a long while sometimes ect.

thanks for your imput.
sumjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 06:30 AM   #2

I did a wire transfer once we had completed the paperwork. We took the MH before the transfer completed and it ended up being rejected due to the seller's bank. Took 3 or 4 tries and was not a pleasant experience.

I've heard you can do an escrow through some companies. No experience with that though.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:32 AM   #3

The common procedure is:

Agree on price, with test drive, any inspection, etc complete.

Verify title is in seller's name and it is a clear title. Just ask for a copy of the front and back of the title with him having written VOID across it's face.

Get wire transfer instructions/routing number from seller (seller's bank).

Contact your banker and have that amount wire transferred.

When seller's bank confirms money in his account, he turns over possession and paperwork. If in the same state as where you will register it, common for both of you to go to the state office to transfer title.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:36 AM   #4

Cashiers check. When you do that you actually have already transferred your money to the “check” which is guaranteed by the bank so it’s cleared already.
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:41 AM   #5

Johnny Cash and do the transfer at the police station or the registry. Use an escrow service that does real estate transactions. Wire the money to them and they hold it until the title is cleared.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:00 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry1 View Post
Cashiers check. When you do that you actually have already transferred your money to the “check” which is guaranteed by the bank so it’s cleared already.
Agreed. And, if the deal falls through at the last minute, you can return to your bank and cancel the check and get your money back.

Try doing that with a bank to bank wire transfer!
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:03 AM   #7

Were I a seller (been there, done that) I would NOT accept a Cashier's Check unless I was there at the bank where/when it was issues.

WAY too many counterfeit checks.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:34 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry1 View Post
And there are bogus cashier checks out there. The only way we will do a sale is a wire transfer, bank to bank.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:41 AM   #9

I went 2400 miles, stayed in the rv I bought on his property while my check cleared. Gave me time to rig my toad. You can do a bank transfer and it would be a lot faster. I really didn't care about the time. It was more winter and we still had a lot of snow up here.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:49 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If the seller will accept a cashier's check from you then hand you the title, that's the way I would go. If he's smart he will not accept a cashier's check!

If not, I would arrange a direct transfer of funds between your bank and his!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:53 AM   #11

Go to your bank. Transfer the money or have a check issued while they are standing with you.

When we bought ours, the seller opened an account at our bank and we transferred the money to them. The sellers completed the title signature and transfer right there at the window. The teller was informed ahead of time of what we were doing so would have been an excellent witness had anything sketchy been tried by either of us during the process.
Jkwilson1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:56 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Were I a seller (been there, done that) I would NOT accept a Cashier's Check unless I was there at the bank where/when it was issues.

WAY too many counterfeit checks.
You really don’t know how a cashiers check works? Way safer than a wire transfer.

You get the cashiers check, you call the bank it is drawn on, ask to speak to a banker, not a teller, a banker, you verify the check was in fact drawn on that bank, verify the check number. I deal with cashiers checks all the time. Real Estate mostly. Foreign buyers. Yup I have received counterfeit cashiers checks. Five minutes on the phone, a call initiated by me to a number I verify, and I not only can verify it is authentic, I can verify the transaction is complete, I have the check and am depositing it.

Give me your bank routing number and account number and your account will be drained by the time I’m out of town.

NEVER EVER GIVE OUT YOU BANK NUMBERS TO ANYONE.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
You really don’t know how a cashiers check works? Way safer than a wire transfer.

You get the cashiers check, you call the bank it is drawn on, ask to speak to a banker, not a teller, a banker, you verify the check was in fact drawn on that bank, verify the check number. I deal with cashiers checks all the time. Real Estate mostly. Foreign buyers. Yup I have received counterfeit cashiers checks. Five minutes on the phone, a call initiated by me to a number I verify, and I not only can verify it is authentic, I can verify the transaction is complete, I have the check and am depositing it.

Give me your bank routing number and account number and your account will be drained by the time I’m out of town.

NEVER EVER GIVE OUT YOU BANK NUMBERS TO ANYONE.
And it can still be stopped. I've seen it done.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:19 AM   #14

If you are paying off a loan, be sure to wire the money. My bank sent a certified check to Bank of the West to pay off the loan of a camper I was buying. It took 30 days to clear and another 2 weeks to get the title. Wiring would have paid it off that day.

Tags
money, sell