Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2017, 08:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
You actually can fill a propane tank without a pump. We do it on the farm all the time. Our local propane dealer brought out a home style tank with a hose and a valve on the end of the hose. When our forklift tanks are empty we pull up, hook up the hose, open vent valve on empty tank and open valve on stationary tank. Yes it fills slower than a pump and it only gets it about 75% full but it works just fine. Ask your local propane distributor for help.
Agree... One place I worked did the exact same thing !
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2017, 02:10 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed a Stay A While Tee made by Mr Heater that goes between the RV tank and RV regulator, It comes with a hose that allows to connect to an external tank. You don't have to transfer propane frpm the external tank, Just close the RV tank valve and open the external tank valve. I used a 30 pound external tank I could take it to the fill station when necessary.
Mine also had a port with a hose that connected to a grill. So didn't use to use small bottles on the grill.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfer View Post
Thanks for all your posts. I already know it can be done. I have had a 250 in the past it was a tank that had an additional valve that had a tube inside the tank that went to the bottom to draw liquid. I filled the motorhome and 40# bottles often. I had a different valve on the other motorhome I had at that time. I know if I turned a tank upside down that was higher than the empty tank and when the tanks equalize I will have to cool the lower tank and warm the upper tank. I asked how to connect to the motorhome tank end of the hose. That horizontal tank has a large fitting that has male threads My previous motorhome had also inside threads. (By the way My old motorhome did have two valves one for liquid and one for gas one valve was gas for a onan genset and one for furnace and cook stove and water heater. This motorhome has one fill valve that has a large fitting with outside threads like I said. and it has an out bound line that goes to the regulator which I now have an extend a stay which I hook to my 100# tank, That line comes from near the highest point on the fill end of the horizontal tank. It has a 90 degree elbow then a shut off valve. Would it be easier to open the bleeder then take out the elbow and replace with a straight stub I could plumb into with a liquid transfer hose to the upside down 100# tank upside down on my tailgate of my pick-up mind you I am going to warm the top tank and cool the horizontal tank with cold water. Do they make a connection for the fill line or do I have to go thru the line to the regulator. Unfortunately I do not own the lot I am renting and the three (Amerigas,Ferrile gas and a local independent distributor will not fill tanks here) or in an RV Park up and down the Oregon Coast. It is a monopoly I have been sitting here almost 3 years and do not intend to move it unless I take a trip to Desert or across country for vacation. I am not going to put in slide or disconnect cable tv and put everything away just to get some damn propane and I do not want to deal with an extend a stay any more. Too many places for leaks. I already had one hose leaking a hose end and is not safe.
You need this, to adapt the MH ACME fill valve, to OPD type fittings.

https://propanewarehouse.com/shop/fi...lling-adapter/
Attached Images

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:37 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I made a hose that connects to my extend a stay to a propane tank for a forklift. It is the quick connect type you would find on any fork lift. When I am staying at our plant, i just haul out another fork lift tank when empty. The only problem I run into is that it seems to freeze up my regulator more often then compared to working off the motorhome tank. I also get propane leaking out the weephole in the regulator from time to time. Is this an issue with using the forklift tanks, a regulator issue or possibly a temperature difference issue. I say temp difference as the forklift tanks usually come from inside a heated warehouse and then get brought outside where the temp could be anywhere from 5 degrees to 50 degrees.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:10 AM   #19

Forklift tanks supply liquid propane to the engine. They draw from the bottom of the tank.

Home, BBQ and RV tanks, supply vaporized propane ( Gas ) to the appliances. They draw from the top of the tank.

Get one of these and light it. While lit, turn it upside down to see how liquid propane effects the flame.

Unless you have a LP generator, which will have a separate liquid line, VAPOR ONLY will be required for RV systems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z0rKx_kcpEx-.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	157497  
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
You actually can fill a propane tank without a pump. We do it on the farm all the time. Our local propane dealer brought out a home style tank with a hose and a valve on the end of the hose. When our forklift tanks are empty we pull up, hook up the hose, open vent valve on empty tank and open valve on stationary tank. Yes it fills slower than a pump and it only gets it about 75% full but it works just fine. Ask your local propane distributor for help.
Yeah, I've been doing that for years. Works just fine. I usually wait until the large (1,000 gallon tank) has been in the sun for a few hours then the liquid transfers into the cooler (being filled) tank pretty fast. I just got all the hose and fittings from my local propane company. Cost about $200 for the set up.

I don't know that I'd want to turn a #100 tank on end. Most large residential type tanks have a liquid withdrawal pickup tube already installed.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosunmate View Post
So this guy jumps out of a plane. His parachute will not deploy. As he is falling to earth he sees this guy coming up towards him. When they get close he ask the up bound guy if he knows anything about parachutes. The guy say no I don't, do you know anything about transferring propane from one tank to the other?........

As a former Propane technician, I recommend having a pro handle propane transfers. Good luck.
If there is LP in two different tanks, they are under equal pressure regardless of size. Source: https://www.propanecarbs.com/propane.html

I attended a state-sponsored LP fire training session, where they lit a flame under a 500G storage tank until it vented and vapors caught fire; talk about training under pressure_.
A year later it actually happened during a house fire, two firefighers died when an end cap blew off.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:56 AM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
I installed a Stay A While Tee made by Mr Heater that goes between the RV tank and RV regulator, It comes with a hose that allows to connect to an external tank. You don't have to transfer propane frpm the external tank, Just close the RV tank valve and open the external tank valve. I used a 30 pound external tank I could take it to the fill station when necessary.
Mine also had a port with a hose that connected to a grill. So didn't use to use small bottles on the grill.
Of all the stories suggesting transferring LP from one tank to another from the bottom, from the top, upending one tank, etc. I think Clay L has the safest strategy of all. Why transfer at all? Use portable tanks you can handle and tap from those tanks rather than try to fill the on board tank. The built in tank was designed to be filled with liquid by a pump. Any other strategies is makeshift and potentially explosive. When the portable(s) are empty, they can be transported to a distributer and refilled.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
If there is LP in two different tanks, they are under equal pressure regardless of size.
True. However, if you open the vent port in the tank you are filling that lowers the gas pressure enough to move liquid from the non-venting tank to the venting tank. Since for every cubic foot of gas vented out of one tank you replace that with one cubic foot of liquid you really don't have to vent much to fill a tank.

Obviously, you try to avoid doing the venting/filling during a house fire.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Of all the stories suggesting transferring LP from one tank to another from the bottom, from the top, upending one tank, etc. I think Clay L has the safest strategy of all. Why transfer at all? Use portable tanks you can handle and tap from those tanks rather than try to fill the on board tank. The built in tank was designed to be filled with liquid by a pump. Any other strategies is makeshift and potentially explosive. When the portable(s) are empty, they can be transported to a distributer and refilled.
OP already using 100# bottles and was looking for options.......that is how....why thread went sideways about transferring propane.

Based on some responses OP will now have 100# bottles heating out in the sun, turning them upside down in truck bed and icing down his MH tank for a liquid refill.

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
OP already using 100# bottles and was looking for options.......that is how....why thread went sideways about transferring propane.

Based on some responses OP will now have 100# bottles heating out in the sun, turning them upside down in truck bed and icing down his MH tank for a liquid refill.

I agree. The OP's story of handling 100# tanks a few times a year, being in the same spot for 2 years, but reluctant to have a tank attached to his LP system because he wants fast escape from a Tsunami sounds - - - interesting. Using more manageable sized tanks, or a tank large enough to warrant home (campsite) delivery makes safer sense. JMHO

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #26

wolfer, it appears that there are several posters who are knowledgeable about answering your propane question. Some even have differing opinions. How will you know which one is the right one?

I use propane to heat our home, use it for the BBQ, fryer, and have a propane tank in my coach. Been using propane for about 40 years. So you should listen to my answer as an expert, right? WRONG! I know virtually jack about propane.

My suggestion is to ask your local propane supplier what to do. Would that not be the safest route?
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:33 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Forklift tanks supply liquid propane to the engine. They draw from the bottom of the tank.

Home, BBQ and RV tanks, supply vaporized propane ( Gas ) to the appliances. They draw from the top of the tank.

Get one of these and light it. While lit, turn it upside down to see how liquid propane effects the flame.

Unless you have a LP generator, which will have a separate liquid line, VAPOR ONLY will be required for RV systems.
So, would turning the forklift tank upside down then supply vapor to the rv system? Everything LP related works just fine other than the regulator icing up. Sometimes worse than others.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:34 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

what happens when you turn the torch upside down? Dont have one to experiment with.

Tags
propane