Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Send a message via Skype™ to mjwest
Transient Electrical Problem - Need Help

1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
Transient electrical problem
Plugged to 50amp shore power and all works well, then occasionally power reverts to 30 amp. No TV power and no power to roadside electrical plugs. Other lights work. Cannot pinpoint problem and don't know where to start with diagnosis. Very frustrating and it gets in the way of any enjoyment of a trip. Any ideas welcome and much appreciated.
mjwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like a ground somewhere thats not right.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If it's like my 2000 Those are powered though the Inverted, one of the 2 20 amp breakers. Just try resetting them.

LEN
Old 01-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you normally have a 50 amp service to your motor home you maybe losing one leg of your 50 amp service.
You need to check all your wire connecting points of your power cord to transfer switch from transfer switch to your load center and wiring connections in your load center.
Vibration will loosen up wire connection over time and these connections need to be tightened up.
You may find when the Gen is running no problem but check those connections also.
Loose wire connections will cause a high resistance connection and heat up wiring burning insulation on wiring.
Here is a link to a RV wiring system.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are occasionally loosing one leg.. Now, there are several places this can be happening. One is easily fixed.

The park outlet.. To find this you need some test gear, but you can't fix it because it's not your problem (At least it won't cost you) USUALLY a 50 amp box also has 30 and 20 amp outlets.. Now if **I** Were hooking it up the 30 would be on one leg and the 50 on another. Test gear in this case consists of one 15-30 adapter (so you can plug in a standard night light) and 2 standard night lights. Plug one into each outlet.

If one light goes out then you have found the problem.. IF both remain lit, Well, more testing is needed (Measure voltage between the two "narrow" slots on the two outlets (Use the adapter on the 30 amp) you should see 240, if you see zero then either A: not touching contact with prob\e or B both on same leg)

The plug. If the "pins" (Blades) on the plug are not clean, cllean them.

Cord, Transfer switch, and Main breaker box

EMS
Old 01-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Send a message via Skype™ to mjwest
now I guess I know what I'm doing next weekend. thanks much for the answers and suggestions.
mjwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #7

I will Ditto 007's thoughts. Screw lugs can work loose over time. My thought is to also check the shore power cable for intermittent connection. If the cable is the original.

Dick.
Airtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some personal history that might help and a non-joke. First the non-joke

Many RVers seem to have a few screws loose.

(Why is it a non-joke,, cause they are real, metal, screws that you tighten with a genuine screwdriver)

Now, a discussion on said screws.

When my rig was almost brand new (first summer, picked it up in May) Sometimes the front, sometimes the rear, sometimes both, occasionally neighter air conditioner would work. I do not know why the first thing I checked was the circuit breaker box (Main distribution panel) but it was the first thing I checked.. And many loose screws were found, one took over 2 turns before I felt resistance..

Last spring, just before I returned to Michigan for the summer, A brand new sticker in window new 5-er took the site in front of me. he plugged in his brand new 50 amp shore cord.. NOTHING, no power.. I grabbed the tool kit and we checked the pedistal.. GOOD, took the Marinco connector out of the inlet... and the connector (Outlet end of cord) fell off in our hands. ALL six screws (L-1, L-2 N and G plus the two scrws on the cable clamp) were so loose it was amazing.

Now.. As it turns out he is an electrician.. So betwen him and me We got him hooked up right the first time.. I told him to send the dealer a bill, and suggested an hourly rate in line wth him being a licensed electrician.

I also suggested he check all loose screws.

Now, in fairness, I do not blame the coach maker for that bad power cord.. I mean, they bought it from some other manufacturer and simply did not try to pull the outlet off the cord... and come off it did.

I had a loose screw on my inlet too.

Tags
electrical