Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2022, 04:09 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1960 View Post
Thanks again everyone for your thoughts on this which is what I asked for not legal advice but I'm sure some have given as good or better then some lawyers do. lol

Yes I do live in Can. BobGed and will be staying in Can. while traveling. Some laws are different here for sure. I did do something like this for a customer when I had my shop where I brought a truck and car trailer back to Can. from Kentucky using a temporary transport permit and had no issues at all even crossing the border.

He did talk to his insurance company as I did with mine and both said I will be covered in the event of an accident by the dealer insurance which I will have with me as well as the bill of sale and plate.
I liked the idea mentioned about having him hire me and when I brought that up today he thought so as well. The m/h is going to be registered in the dealerships name so that the dealer plate and insurance are valid which is another reason for him to hire me.

My flight is booked for Monday so I guess I'm going. Next thing I need to worry about is getting out of Toronto around rush hour after that I've driven the roads I'll be taking a few time so it should be pretty smooth sailing.
Someone asked what if it breaks down, well I guess it depends on what it is and how long it would take to get fixed either way he will be covering the costs of either my extra nights in a hotel or to fly me home.
I will try and remember to post when I get back and let you know if I ran into any issues or not.
Oh…going to US from Canada? They might want to collect import duty.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2022, 04:14 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
I don't think CDL applies. Isn't CDL for if the vehicle is used as the income source.
Well, you are correct in that if you were using the vehicle for income, 49CFR would apply. However, there is a subtle difference because if you are using the vehicle in the furtherance of a business (even if they are not paying you an income), it would trip 49CFR applicability.
There are a couple of nuances. Let's say you are traveling on business, but you are driving your coach for your convenience, you can get around the 49CFR applicability.
islandboy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:15 PM   #45

Just drive the Motorhome and have a good trip! Life is full of risks, as long as your not careless reckless or stupid things will be fine.
HenryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:50 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Weigh stations are not for RVs.
RVs must go into a weigh station if over a certain weight, depending on the state.

https://www.mhs2go.com/weigh-station-protocol-for-rvs/
jorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:55 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
I would make sure he has it insured and get in and drive it.

Me too the RV Manufacturers prefer a CDL but it is not required

From one of their websites in the driver requirements "Valid driver’s license. CDL Class A license is preferred for the RV division"
rneal55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:04 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorick View Post
RVs must go into a weigh station if over a certain weight, depending on the state.

https://www.mhs2go.com/weigh-station-protocol-for-rvs/
I'd be curious how many MHs or 5ers have ever stopped at a weigh station.
I've been thru a lot of states and never stopped nor saw MHs ever entering/ exiting.
I guess if I noticed a sign that instructed RVs or MHs must stop I would.
That's a new one on me and curious about others experience?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:27 PM   #49

I ignor weigh stations in all of the states I've been in. Never seen a RV weight station sign.

If they want my weight, they can chase me down to come back.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 06:05 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm assuming your friend (the purchaser) is familiar with the importation process into Canada and has engaged a Customs Broker to clear the paperwork for importing the unit. When I imported a Used Dutch Star into Canada over 10 years ago I did not require a broker and did it myself, paying the GST at the border but now you may have to get the Broker to meet you at your point of entry. It wouldn't hurt to check.

I would also assume that you have Air Brake endorsement on your Driver's License which is required in Canada. Not often checked but anything can happen when dealing with Canada Customs!

Have a great trip!
Old 05-05-2022, 06:13 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
If he's paying expenses then you ARE getting paid for the job.
This is not true, if he is being paid then yes, but the owner paying for gas and food then no.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 06:15 PM   #52

I'm pretty stunned at how many posters here, have either not read the posts in this thread, or do not comprehend what the posts have said.

If you are not up on a Canada via Canada to end trip IN Canada rules/regs, etc., then I'm talking to you...

I found the thread interesting but have absolutely NO clue how things work in Canada and they aren't States up there, they are Provinces and Territories...
Old 05-05-2022, 07:33 PM   #53

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with Diesel-Dan...

Do hope the OP has an enjoyable trip! Looking forward to hearing about the adventure when complete
JKC2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 03:51 AM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFoodGuy View Post
The only question that i have is, "What happens when you go into states that have the requirement at weigh stations, All unlicensed vehicles must stop". I believe a dealer plate is evidence of an unlicensed vehicle.

Just my opinion.

Terry.
No law I have ever seen says that. USA weigh stations are for commercial vehicles 26,001# and above. And, they will not pay any attention to a Super C coach. In fact, they may get irritated if you brought it across the scales.
islandboy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:04 AM   #55

Transporting a Motorhome

My Advice - DON'T do it as long as it going with Dealer Plates on. This is not a "Transporting for a friend" situation.

Tell your friend you value your friendship too much and he/she needs to hire a bonded/insured professional service to move a Resellers/Dealer inventory until the ownership is transferred to the buyer.

dbteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:05 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel-dan View Post
I'm pretty stunned at how many posters here, have either not read the posts in this thread, or do not comprehend what the posts have said.

If you are not up on a Canada via Canada to end trip IN Canada rules/regs, etc., then I'm talking to you...

I found the thread interesting but have absolutely NO clue how things work in Canada and they aren't States up there, they are Provinces and Territories...
Lol, things are different up here than in the US. I did the trip and everything went fine. I even stopped in northern Ont. where I use to live to visit an old friend. While there we were talking about it, he said his neighbor was with the OPP(Ont. police) and would ask him. I didn't think that was a good idea at first but he assured me it would be ok.
His neighbor came over and I told him the situation, his reply was that even if he stopped me for a traffic infraction there would be no reason to do anything but give me a ticket for whatever I did.

In summary both our insurance companies told us I was covered and a officer said he would have no reason to question what I was doing, and actually said that if he had pulled me over for any reason he would only be asking for license, insurance and registration to make sure it was valid.

Lawyers on the other hand will try anything so maybe if there was an incident it could have got ugly but now I'm pretty confident that everything would turned out alright in the end.

As for the motorhome I loved driving it, even though it's a couple feet longer then my pusher it seemed way easier to maneuver. The very first night I had to back into a parking lot at the hotel I stayed at and found it pretty easy even at 12:30AM. What I didn't like about it was fueling it. I'd fill one tank and by the time I got turned around to fill the other if there was room someone would pull into the pump I could get to. So quite a few times I only filled one tank which was ok for me on this trip because I'd use that as my break to stretch me legs. If it was my m/h I'd be looking at getting a account for card locks so that I could fill both tanks without the hassle. The Nav that came in the rv isn't very good imo so I used my phone when I needed too.

If I was asked again and had time I wouldn't hesitate doing it.

Tags
motor, motorhome