Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #15

We are planning an Alaskan trip in the next year or two but after reading this thread and some of the referenced Canadian WEB sites it may be more trouble than it is worth to drive an RV across into Canada. We are world travelers and have lived internationally for a number of years and I would jump on an airplane without thinking twice but trying to take our RV across into Canada appears to be a big government paperwork nightmare. It is not just the transport of fruits and meats, but prescription medications; my DW takes a bunch including oral chemo to keep her cancer in remission.

I see comments where some just drive across with a passport and act like it is no big deal but to read and try and understand the Canadian regulations from food to, prescription drug, to fire arms, etc. it is not so straight forward.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
We did it in '10, to and from Alaska. It's really not a big deal. Don't take firearms. Don't take (much) fresh fruit, veggies or meat. The limits listed on the website aren't that hard to follow.

There ARE grocery stores in Canada, you know. And Alaska.

We didn't have any issues with prescription drugs either. But we didn't try to take a whole summer's worth with us. Refill by mail or at a local drugstore in Alaska.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #17

I always bring a big bag of oranges back from Florida and have never been asked about them. I don't take any meat into the US and have again never been asked coming back into Canada about meat and I always have what hasn't been eaten wehile away. I have even had luncheon meat. Having said that, it all depends on who you get at the border. Last month when I came back, I saw a coach 3 vehicles ahead of me get sent over to the inspection area and when I went through, he asked the usual questions and sent me on my way.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
We are planning an Alaskan trip in the next year or two but after reading this thread and some of the referenced Canadian WEB sites it may be more trouble than it is worth to drive an RV across into Canada. We are world travelers and have lived internationally for a number of years and I would jump on an airplane without thinking twice but trying to take our RV across into Canada appears to be a big government paperwork nightmare. It is not just the transport of fruits and meats, but prescription medications; my DW takes a bunch including oral chemo to keep her cancer in remission.

I see comments where some just drive across with a passport and act like it is no big deal but to read and try and understand the Canadian regulations from food to, prescription drug, to fire arms, etc. it is not so straight forward.
Really it is quite easy to cross the border, both ways. Handguns are normally not allowed into CA, but long guns for hunting are allowed with the proper paperwork completed-ready to hand to the border agent. You already have the link to crossing with food. The paperwork is just like entering England or another country; passport, copy of birth certificate, title for RV, etc. You already know how to act and speak with the agent.
Visiting AK, you will encounter border guards about 8 times if you plan to visit all the coastal cities and drive the top-of-the-world highway (gravel surface mostly). There is a "trick" to driving that highway to keep from wrecking. The berm is very soft, almost like loose sand about 3' wide, and slightly lighter in color than traveled portion of the road. When you spot an approaching vehicle find a wide-spot and stop until they pass. If you drop one wheel into the loose berm you WILL go over the mountainside. While we were in TOK we saw them pull 2 MH's into Willards Garage (Good Sam provider), one was a full-timers MH and towed- both totally destroyed; caused by getting too close to the berm and it sucked the MH off the road.
Sorry, I digressed from your question, but that sticks in my mind.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Really it is quite easy to cross the border, both ways. Handguns are normally not allowed into CA, but long guns for hunting are allowed with the proper paperwork completed-ready to hand to the border agent. You already have the link to crossing with food. The paperwork is just like entering England or another country; passport, copy of birth certificate, title for RV, etc. You already know how to act and speak with the agent.
Visiting AK, you will encounter border guards about 8 times if you plan to visit all the coastal cities and drive the top-of-the-world highway (gravel surface mostly). There is a "trick" to driving that highway to keep from wrecking. The berm is very soft, almost like loose sand about 3' wide, and slightly lighter in color than traveled portion of the road. When you spot an approaching vehicle find a wide-spot and stop until they pass. If you drop one wheel into the loose berm you WILL go over the mountainside. While we were in TOK we saw them pull 2 MH's into Willards Garage (Good Sam provider), one was a full-timers MH and towed- both totally destroyed; caused by getting too close to the berm and it sucked the MH off the road.
Sorry, I digressed from your question, but that sticks in my mind.
Thanks for the feedback and the driving pointers! We need to do more reading before we make the decision to head Northwest.
Thanks again!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #20

I frequently travel between Canada an the US. Firewood is also not allowed, but I figure most don't travel with wood anymore since there are so many bans on bringing wood now. Oranges can be brought to Canada, but to bring into U.S. you have to prove they were grown here. Since the mad cow disease scare beef and beef products have been restricted. I have taken turkey sandwiches with no problems. I usually have to open the camper and let the officer take a quick look, they sometimes ask to open the storage compartments. As another poster said, be calm respectful when talking with officers, answer their questions and follow instructions. Don't forget if you are traveling with pets to have documentation of up to date rabies vaccination. The tag is not enough, need a paper with the vaccination lot # and exp. date, and vet signature. Don't miss the opportunity to visit Canada, there are some very beautiful things to see!
Kaexel is offline   Reply With Quote