Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2017, 03:38 PM   #1

Travel destinations

We're brand new to RV ing! New truck/5 'er a week ago! Newly retired! Lots of firsts for us.... I love reading about the tips, problems, solutions that everyone is willing to share on this site. The information is invaluable … I'm trying to discover on this website where I would find info on travel destinations, particularly, for the winter months. Where to stay on the trip south, reasonably priced final destinations, how long to stay in a destination to get the "vibe" of a rv park, and whatever is important. All I put is appreciated!
Dswope13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:02 PM   #3

Unless you have a particular destination/state in mind to ask questions about, I suggest that you browse these sections:

Camping Locations
Navigation, Routes & Roads
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dswope13 View Post
We're brand new to RV ing! New truck/5 'er a week ago! Newly retired! Lots of firsts for us.... I love reading about the tips, problems, solutions that everyone is willing to share on this site. The information is invaluable … I'm trying to discover on this website where I would find info on travel destinations, particularly, for the winter months. Where to stay on the trip south, reasonably priced final destinations, how long to stay in a destination to get the "vibe" of a rv park, and whatever is important. All I put is appreciated!
I could just say head down to the Winter Destination - "Yuma"-

But more than likely that would not work.

SO - tell us a little about yourself - what do you enjoy?

What weather requirements do you have?

What are your Expectations?

See you have already enjoyed the Hill Country in Texas.

Guessing the Cold - 32 degrees - does not scare or bother you - but that you are looking to find Sun and Great sights?

First thin is to get out of the North - Head toward an area you might enjoy this fall winter.

SouthWest - Utah South of I-70 should work, just watch the elevation and for freak storms, we tend to do a lot of this area in the Fall/Winter as it is Not crowded - Not Hot - and is for Us Generally just the way we like it.

Arizona and New Mexico - same as above - Pretty much if you name it in the desert southwest you can do it in the Fall/Winter, Good Boots are critical - Layers are Critical - Hat and Sunglasses are necessary. (And Yes, a down Comforter is nice, but not always needed, and a good heat system Helps)

OK I've given you my choices - let's hear what you have in Mind.

Can't Wait, .........
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Welcome !!

Welcome and congratulations !!

Spend any time here at all and you will find a answer to just about any question. But do yourself a favor and visit the various tabs and sub categories. You will be surprised how much you learn that will aid you in your travels.

Safe travels
James
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:06 PM   #6

Quote:
First welcome and congratulations on deciding to RV.

One suggestion I have is for you to review a site called RV Park Reviews. com. This site provides information on campgrounds, the actually campground user's rating and the average day time camping fee for that campground.

I travel all of the US each year. We normally pick a region we would like to travel to such as the east coast. We will than write each state that we plan on traveling to asking for maps, things to do, campgrounds and any other information that the state will furnish. This has always work for us and we have had great trips.

Good Luck and enjoy.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:49 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
from WA State!
I have yet to get goibg full time, hopefully next year.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Congrats on the new ride, welcome to the RVing life! You'll find some great people and info on this forum, I know I have. Didn't say where you are coming from or where you guys are interested in heading to, but if the east coast is on your list hit me up with a PM and I'll be happy to give you some cool sites we have enjoyed from VA down to FL. We aren't retired yet (its coming soon tho) so we are limited to this area for now. Be happy to help ya tho!
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:36 AM   #9

Congratulations on the new rig and retirement. You will also find a search window top right of center on the main page. You can type in any key word and it will search all the previous posts with that word. You can literally spend all day on this site gathering information.

Good luck on your new adventures and safe travels.
Ksatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:08 PM   #10

Welcome to the forum. Every state has a tourist bureau, look them up on the web and get information from them. Request current state road maps (I don't put my trust in GPS). Make a note to tell them you travel in an RV so they can eliminate hotel/motel advertising. Some states (Texas in particular) has it broke down in various regions of the state and they will also give your name and address to towns with attractions for more in depth information. I'll use Texas as an example, the campground owners have an association called Taco http://texascampgrounds.com/free-camping-guide which has a nice directory and nice discounts. I also got about 50 tourist flyers from various communities and regions throughout the state. I get info from Missouri, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, Louisiana, Arkansas since in live in NW Georgia.

For winter travel in the South you will need to make plans for winter 2018 right now. Next to impossible to find a long term destination in Florida for this year. Arizona and south Texas much the same so plan ahead. High season in the south starts as early as November in some areas, inrush just after Thanksgiving and Christmas, usually in full swing January 1 and goes to April 1. Prices go substantially higher during that time and campsites become hard to find.

If you are 62yo or older get an America the Beautiful pass, (look it up on the web for information) the cost is now $80 good for your lifetime, gives you free entrance to most of the national parks (which are going to double in price in 2018) (Zion, Yellowstone, Arches, Bryce will be $70) and 50% discount on campsites in parks not contractor operated. Also free admission to Corps of Engineer campgrounds almost always by a lake or river, with 50% discount on campsites. Get a Passport America membership for deep discounts on RV parks, good for overnight stays, and Escapees membership which is similar to Passport America. Good luck, happy trails.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:15 PM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
Where to go?.......short version......
Where the fish are biting and the bugs are not.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel