Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Travel Myth Violence to RVers

Just curious? Has anyone experienced a face to face robbery, late night break-in ( while in residence), or any major crime, personally, while RVing. DW and I are discussing protection while traveling and this question came up. I don't want a lecture on guns.. this is not that question! Have you been mugged, robbed, broken into while in your MH? If you have, would a firearm have helped or not?

Jim Vinton
jamesvinton@comcast.net
Holiday Rambler 36PFT
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Personally I'm more afraid of some idiot near me with an assault rifle or even a 9 mil waking up from a nightmare and shooting indiscriminately. Think about how thin the walls are in ANY rv. If I ever decided to carry a weapon, it would be nothing more than a 38 with hollow points. Don't want to kill someone next door.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We feel safer in our RV than at home, even though we have a very sophisticated security system at home! There's only one door with two locks, and we bought a simple self-contained door alarm for it. I am fully armed, but don't really feel I need it!
Old 10-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
I have Abby, so let's see who comes in and gets out in one piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	abby.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	76536  
Old 10-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #5

Granted I am in a TT and not a MH but have never felt the need. I generally know where I am, always stay in a private park and have never owned a gun. Maybe if I was traveling far from home I would think differently but so far so good.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Not so far... I have protection in the event it becomes necessary, but like all the licensed conceal carry people that I know, I do not take the responsibility lightly. It's like insurance...you hope to never need it, but you are grateful if you have it when you need it.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesvinton View Post
.....Has anyone experienced a face to face robbery, late night break-in ( while in residence), or any major crime, personally, while RVing. DW and I are discussing protection while traveling and this question came up...... would a firearm have helped or not?
Knowing that the owner/mods are not fond of gun discussions, I'll try to make it short and sweet and no lecturing intended. No to both your questions and though I've talked with those how have experienced problems in the late hours of night with theft and/or vandalism, I personally know of no case where having a gun would have prevented the crime. The responsible owners/carriers I know also carry smaller calibers like .380, .32 or .25 for RVing and some even use frangible rounds so that there is little chance of wall penetration. FYI, a .38 with JHPs is not the one to carry in an RV if one is concerned with wall penetration. I am trained and carry for self defense only, not vermin chasing.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesvinton View Post
I don't want a lecture on guns.. this is not that question! Have you been mugged, robbed, broken into while in your MH? If you have, would a firearm have helped or not?
This is the op's question. Let's stick to that topic.
Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 10-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
Community Administrator

If you've found your post deleted , it was me.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 10-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
If you've found your post deleted , it was me.
Thanks Cliff...we appreciate your vigilance!
Old 10-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #11

There is only one time we were scared, and it was a several moons ago. In a remote state forest campground. We, my wife and two daughters, were set up in a popup tent trailer. Early in the AM at dawn we heard doors slamming. Two guys carrying rifles got out and came right toward us. They went around us one guy on each side and kept on going into the woods. After a l-o-n-g hour later we heard several LOUD shots! 15 minutes later out they came with a deer between them. Tossed it into the bed of the truck, took another long look at us and then drove off.

Would protection have helped? My wife and the mother of our daughters was snarling loud enough and her eyes were on fire that would frighten anyone away who dared to invade our camper! We talked about getting something, but decided it was just something we did not want to do with curious kids around.

Like Walt we worry more about wild bullets than intruders.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Old 10-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not a "myth" to me as it actually DIDN'T happen to me as I was prepared. Just showed the two Spanish speaking "gentlemen" that I wasn't going to be a victim and they left. I'm sure they didn't report it and neither did I. Thank you Mr. .45 and 12 GA.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #13

I attempt, with much explaining to my loverly Bride, to keep a can of wasp and hornet spray near the door of the camper.

Perfectly legal and good for open carry. 20 foot range and 15-20 seconds of spray. Hurts like (moderator edit) because of the petroleum distillates.

Easy-peasy.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #14

My only incident was while traveling. We had to stop for fuel one night in an automated station with no attendant.

Due diligence and preparation on my part halted the would be muggers from their taking advantage of who they thought was an easy target.

I have no issues relaxing my watch for trouble while in any of the camp grounds we've attended, or any camp ground we plan to visit. It's just not a problem.

Walmart parking lots and places like, are the ones you should never let your guard down. But normally campers are not a target.

Without going into detail, I would advise anyone who is traveling to realize there is a possibility one could find themselves in a situation that compromises self preservation, just plan accordingly.

DTW
Closed Thread

Tags
travel