Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2022, 05:05 PM   #29

I’ve seen a few churches with full hookups. I have no idea what their policies are. They have all been rural churches. But some are relatively close to town.
SC Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2022, 05:48 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
campgrounds

I understand your problems. My fellow travel buddy got a gig on Florida's east coast. She asked me about campgrounds. Told her it might be impossible. Got her a list of what I could find. She found a few more to call. The very last one she called had just had a cancellation, so she took it and got there today.
You will have to be really patient and do a lot of map searching. If you don't have Allstays, RV Parky, KOA, the Dryt, they may be helpful. I have also stayed in mobile home parks (I qualify for 55+, some will accept nurses). I worked at a small hospital on Florida's west coast a few years back and found a spot for $225 + electric. No real amenities except trash and a shared mailbox. The other option I had was almost $1000 plus electric. I've also used google maps with rv campgrounds near wherever I'm looking. And yes, the parks are generally full here in the south. Do check with the hospital as they may know of vacancies or even private land sites. Good luck.
Kyoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:23 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Are you working in big cities, smaller towns or way out in the middle of nowhere? My wife and I traveled for years working different hospitals as clinical pharmacists. Sort of "migrant pharm workers". Many sites for Indian Health Services have RV housing available.

For private hospitals, we used commercial campgrounds.

Are you doing this through agencies or on your own? We were contractors through my company that contracted with the agencies. There are many more tax advantages for doing it that way.
cvretis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:29 PM   #32

Exclamation your delima

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas121469 View Post
This is a two fold thread.

1. As a nurse doing travel assignments in my RV it has become nearly impossible to find an RV site when I need housing for a job. I generally only know where my next assignment is 2-4 weeks in advance and parks are booked out months in advance or they tell me they won't know until closer to my start date if something will be available. I can't accept a job without knowing a spot will be available. So does anyone know any other way to find spots such as private land owners etc?

2. I'm starting to get a bit depressed. It has been my goal for 10 years to work and travel full-time now everyone is clogging up the RV parks and I've read that things are only going to get worse with the millions of people who purchased RVs. I made a $95k investment in a nice Motorhome just before the pandemic and now I can't even use it as I intended.

So if anyone knows other camping options please let me know
depending on your local you might contact local farm associations
Rogerohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:06 PM   #33

I guess it’s all about the optics, I have family that do travel nursing so it’s just another point of view but…
As a vacation rv’er I find it equally frustrating that so many rv spaces a being taken up by work campers. A lot of nursing and construction workers that use rv parks as a residence, often coming and going at all hours and you gotta love the 5am diesel P/U that need to warm up for an hour. Personally I would like to see parks cater to one group or another. I guess we will have to continue fighting each other for space and hope to get lucky.
Jandringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:48 AM   #34

We have had good luck traveling using Elk club, Eagles club , & VFW club camp grounds. Also try Harvest House. People I know who have done it really enjoy it.
Good luck
Also liked the idea someone had of posting town your going to be in, people on here always know of places in there area that aren't for public
Dtonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:22 AM   #35

A few people have mentioned Hipcamp but left no link. Here is a link and it can be a great resource. https://www.hipcamp.com/en-US
Old 01-17-2022, 06:39 AM   #36

It all in planning.
I would plan your assignments way in advance.
Call campgrounds and tell them what you do and what you need. May will try to help a healthcare worker. They know you are a responsible person.

I have a friend that have both a Class A and a Class B they use the B when they need to get somewhere fast and they is no place for the Class A.

The only other solution is to downsize to a Class B+ or a Class B
Then you can park in driveways, work off 15 amps anywhere. But it’s very cramped in those units.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:29 AM   #37

Traveling nurse

[QUOTE=dallas121469;6046284]This is a two fold thread.

1. As a nurse doing travel assignments in my RV it has become nearly impossible to find an RV site when I need housing for a job. I generally only know where my next assignment is 2-4 weeks in advance /QUOTE]

In my circle friends I know several traveling medical professionals. They dont seem to be having a problem. However they did ask "where and how" is this nurse attempting to reserve a spot. On line will probably not work you as your situation is distinctly different from the average RVer, call them and talk to them.

The second major issue what sort of place are you looking for? Large resort type places do book way in advance. Try looking at smaller individually owned places.

One friend told me his assignments usually run four to six months. He will pick a spot at his new assignment, good, bad or ugly, get the feel for the place, then relocate to an RV park he likes

That's why we RV - flexibility.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 03:19 PM   #38

I would recommend that you contact the hospital you will be working at to see if they have a list of people that may have a place you can park. Many hospitals are using traveling nurses.
Some might make parking available on campus
crisrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 03:37 PM   #39

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas121469 View Post
This is a two fold thread.

1. As a nurse doing travel assignments in my RV it has become nearly impossible to find an RV site when I need housing for a job. I generally only know where my next assignment is 2-4 weeks in advance and parks are booked out months in advance or they tell me they won't know until closer to my start date if something will be available. I can't accept a job without knowing a spot will be available. So does anyone know any other way to find spots such as private land owners etc?

2. I'm starting to get a bit depressed. It has been my goal for 10 years to work and travel full-time now everyone is clogging up the RV parks and I've read that things are only going to get worse with the millions of people who purchased RVs. I made a $95k investment in a nice Motorhome just before the pandemic and now I can't even use it as I intended.

So if anyone knows other camping options please let me know
I can't say why, but I've only been turned away from a few parks. Seems like if you just drive in there, they somehow find a place for you. If not, go to the nearest Walmart and park there with calling the park every morning for a spot. Very few places don't get daily cancelations.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:54 PM   #40

If you are working at homes, hospitals, or nursing homes all you need is a 110v plug that someone will let you use. You might not be able to run the AC, but who cares. They might even be able to provide water as well. The big problem would be dumping your poop tank, but most waste treatment plants will allow rvs to dump. When you go dump you can hit up the local ACE hardware and fill up the propane.

We visit family all over the country this way. Granted we are not there for 4-5months, but a month is common.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:15 PM   #41

Grand Design Owners Club
I am sorry to hear your story !! I too am a travel nurse and use my RV to stay. However, mostly retired now! You are right it is a cluster to get a spot. I’ve had assignments that I’ve had to move every 3-4 weeks which is doable. A few breaks I’ve had is some RV parks reserve sites exclusively for first responders. That’s an idea. Secondly sometimes county or city parks are less known or advertised. The local police department or city council might know of places to park. There are Boondocking apps to steer you some unknown places. Best wishes and be well!
ELDMLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:17 PM   #42

Do you belong to Adventures in RV Travel Nursing FB page? This is a frequent question. Some of us get RV sites early, then try and get a job in the area. If you have to take call, see if the facility has an "on call room". This gives you a little flexibility in your travel time. Plan off season assignments. Summer at the beach is harder to find than winter in North Dakota, although some parks close in the winter. Remember, IRS says you must duplicate expenses, so be careful with stealth camping.
Arizamy60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel