Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2023, 07:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaggio View Post
Perhaps you should watch less FAUX news and get more real world experience. Just finished spending months (Nov-mid Feb) in the Mexican border areas from Brownsville to San Diego. Zero issues
It's not that there are not problems, just that as a RV'er you will not see or become involved with them. DR
DR60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2023, 07:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Read all the responses from people with experiences there, and they all speak the same, NO ISSUES.
I never claimed there were "NO ISSUES" with illegal immigration in the south and southwest. It is a huge issue costing obscene amounts of money.

What myself, and others reported on was the issue of safety in these areas based on the OP's question. Please do not put words in my mouth that I did not say
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 08:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Read all the responses from people with experiences there, and they all speak the same, NO ISSUES.
I agree with you completely. I think it's safe. I'm just saying, the OP, who lives far away from here, took the initiative to ask the question of people who do have the experience. Can't fault him for that at all. There really are no dumb questions.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 09:20 PM   #18

Travel question

You will be plenty safe in any rv park close to the border, but we tend to avoid staying close to Laredo and El Paso as those areas have a reputation.
We also don’t boondock by ourselves close to the border.

We wouldn’t boondock in East St.Louis either. lol.

Illegals trekking through the desert will only risk being seen if they are desperately looking for water or food.

Like this poor fellow caught looking for water close to my friend’s house outside Terlingua.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6164.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	387331
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 09:32 PM   #19

I personally don't think camping near the border is as safe as it was 30 years ago, however the same can be said about much of the US. As to my personal feeling of safety, I would not currently camp in remote isolated areas along the border (less than 20 miles from the border), but I would be ok camping at established campgrounds, rest areas, etc.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 11:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I personally don't think camping near the border is as safe as it was 30 years ago, however the same can be said about much of the US. As to my personal feeling of safety, I would not currently camp in remote isolated areas along the border (less than 20 miles from the border), but I would be ok camping at established campgrounds, rest areas, etc.

There is safety in numbers for sure.
My co-worker’s brother has a 3,000+ acre ranch not far from Sanderson TX. Until recent years they never had illegal walking traffic through there. I asked about taking the UTV’s out there and tent camping way back on the property and he said he wouldn’t do it because of the increased presence. They stay in the ranch house when there.

Some folks put water bottles out to eliminate the temptation of breaking in. A person literally dieing of thirst will do what they have to do to survive. As any human would.

Years ago the vast amount of desert on both sides of the Rio Grande limited the amount of illegals crossing in these very remote areas. They are regularly finding groups of Guatemalans making it through there and strangely they are all outfitted exactly the same. Same clothes jackets and backpacks. None of them appear to be looking to harm anyone. The one fellow we talked to in Terlingua was a Guatemalan, and said he was going to Ohio. ? didn’t make too much sense. Maybe just a place he had heard of.? Who knows. The poor guy was literally in tears.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 12:04 PM   #21

Last year, we traversed from North Carolina through Georgia and Florida to Southern California. We spent many nights in the deserts of Arizona and California on BLM within 50 miles of the border. We saw immigrants, but have never considered them a threat. We just don’t get this insane fear people have of undocumented immigrants. Yes, there may be some dangerous folks, but I certainly feel safer boondocking near the border than boondocking in Idaho. Let’s face it, if immigrants were attacking campers on BLM land, don’t you think we’d hear about it on certain news outlets?
Old 03-01-2023, 12:08 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
In 2020 we camped 500 yards from the boarder at big bend ranch. No issues
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 12:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Let’s face it, if immigrants were attacking campers on BLM land, don’t you think we’d hear about it on certain news outlets?

Such things do happen, there was a couple that were murdered while beach camping near the border and their truck and travel trailer were stolen. This was in late 2019 just before Covid hit, I remember it because I was driving east on I-10 into El Paso, Texas insight of Mexico in our motorhome when the news broke.
Old 03-01-2023, 02:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Such things do happen, there was a couple that were murdered while beach camping near the border and their truck and travel trailer were stolen. This was in late 2019 just before Covid hit, I remember it because I was driving east on I-10 into El Paso, Texas insight of Mexico in our motorhome when the news broke.
Please don't blame a border crosser.

This was done by an American who took the RV into Mexico. He and his girlfriend were captured. Here's a picture of him.

https://www.wmur.com/article/case-ti...texas/29722710

They were both in criminal trouble previously... in the U.S.

https://www.wmur.com/article/live-st...-case/29737082
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 02:46 PM   #25

I do not blame those entering the US for this, but do feel this contributes to the overall atmosphere of border related crime and violence given the fact that the criminals here fled to Mexico with the stolen vehicle and trailer.
Old 03-01-2023, 04:18 PM   #26

I feel safer here (SW AZ) than I do in my nice Minneapolis suburb.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 04:36 PM   #27

Quote:
I do not blame those entering the US for this, but do feel this contributes to the overall atmosphere of border related crime and violence given the fact that the criminals here fled to Mexico with the stolen vehicle and trailer.
Sorry you feel that way. Those not living near the border just don't understand some things.

They fled to Mexico to get to another country to try and disappear. They knew they'd be caught sooner if they stayed in the U.S. It's just like a criminal fleeing Italy for France to try and hide out. Mexico has nothing to do with it.

Border crossers, for the most part, are not criminals. They are desperate families and are good people just trying to escape horror. Yes, there are drug cartels but they wouldn't be in business if those in the U.S. would stop buying and supplying. That stuff doesn't happen anywhere near the border. It happens in the U.S. cities and U.S. citizens are involved.

People forget about the school and business rampages and killings and everyday crime in our own cities committed by our own citizens.

There's a lot more to the story than is on the so-called 'news'.
Old 03-01-2023, 04:39 PM   #28

We haven't heard back from the original poster so hope he wasn't scared off.

The border areas are safe. There are many RV parks and millions travel and stay. The towns are just like any other town in the U.S. I hope you'll continue planning your trip. Lots of beauty and wonderful people in the Southwest.... and everywhere else.

Tags
travel