Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterjosh View Post
I lived in colorado for 10 years, in my experience people there take chains required as a warning and don't use them anyhow, so just be extra cautious of idiots
Are you sure CO isn't like WA, where chains required means they have to be available if you have 4WD? In Washington the sign has to say "Chains Required on All Vehicles" to mean they actually have to be installed on a 4WD vehicle.

https://www.wsdot.com/winter/tires-chains.htm
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2020, 10:05 AM   #16

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Are you sure CO isn't like WA, where chains required means they have to be available if you have 4WD? In Washington the sign has to say "Chains Required on All Vehicles" to mean they actually have to be installed on a 4WD vehicle.

https://www.wsdot.com/winter/tires-chains.htm
And like other western states there is the "must carry laws". ie: must have on board/in your possession when traveling during the late fall/winter/early spring months.
Our coach due to the outboard air bags in line with the outside tires prevent using chains/cables or even the tire sacks. So yes I have the bag with the tire sacks (only weigh 5lbs) in the coach, but that is only if they see fit to check me, will never use them..We just park in the "cheep seats" of the nearest truckstop and wait the weather out... even if it is a week or more, hell... We are retired and not in a hurry anywho..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
And like other western states there is the "must carry laws". ie: must have in your possession when traveling during the fall/winter/early spring months.
Yes, post 5 and 6 above cover some of that. In Washington those seasonal rules only apply to vehicles over 10,000 pounds, which was the topic of my post 6 (I'm 180 pounds under!).
Old 10-27-2020, 10:12 AM   #18

here in Oregon must carry, means must carry. chains on all vehicles, means chains on all vehicles. just because you have 4 wheel drive doesn't help that much, when you get on packed snow and ice that's were the chains help.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
here in Oregon chains on all vehicles, means chains on all vehicles. just because you have 4 wheel drive doesn't help that much, when you get on packed snow and ice that's were the chains help.
Jay D.
I think the point is Washington changes the signs based on conditions. I suspect other states do the same.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:37 AM   #20

your probably right i think that's how Oregon is and it can change daily.
we use to go to the mountains here in central Oregon in January to ride ATV's. i had a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck with the best mud and snow tires money could buy. i would tow a 3000# ATV trailer loaded with ATV's. this was a secondary hiway and about the last 50-60 miles would be packed snow and ice and a steady climb. i can tell you it wasn't a pleasant drive, it was so slick that if you stopped anywhere there was a non level spot you would just slide off the road. we didn't have chains but they sure would have been nice. i could not fathom trying to pull my 6500# T/T up there now let alone try to come down.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #21
PKI

You do not want to run with chains - you need to cary them to not be stopped or fined - they must be part of your kit - but most important you need to travel in good weather windows. Yes - South is better - used to travel I80 in a good weather window when going East to Kansas for Christmas and then after the visit we took I40 back to CA. However, the higher elevations of I40 are not without weather issues.

Think the snow socks are the best solution. Light and easy to carry. We have traveled off and on in Winter months. For about 40 years we have carried chains, but never used them. They are part of the kit, not the use profile. Park it and wait. Travel in an open weather window.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:13 AM   #22

Thanks, Everyone. We have decided 2020 is bad enough without taking any unnecessary chances so, no trip. Someone mentioned my being from AZ. We used to live in AZ - now we live in NC. Thanks again.
jbudinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:43 AM   #23

Welcome aboard.
As everyone was busy giving you good advice I thought I would extend greetings
As you have discovered we have a vast storehouse of knowledge and it is available to all.
Wishing you many happy miles.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:39 PM   #24

Reading the specs for your 2012 Fleetwood Jamboree Sport 28y the GVWR is 14,500# on the door sticker, that is the weight police will use not your weigh ticket.

Metal tire chains will beat the wheelwells apart when they break. I suggest cable-type instead, they meet all chain requirements. 30MPH is absolute maximum speed when chains/cables are in use IMO.
If you have never installed tire chains/cables in cold snowy wet weather I strongly suggest you consider the action, it was a miserable experience for me.
I am already in my rolling apartment, when driving conditions are such that chains are recommended/required, I park my apartment and wait until better driving conditions arrive. You only get one shot at life don't rush the experience.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:24 AM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbudinski View Post
Thanks, Everyone. We have decided 2020 is bad enough without taking any unnecessary chances so, no trip. Someone mentioned my being from AZ. We used to live in AZ - now we live in NC. Thanks again.
Good decision. I lived in the Colorado mountains off the I-70. There were days I wouldn’t drive my SUV with studded snow tires. It would be even worse in an RV. If you do that, you have to be mentally prepared to hunker down when the roads are bad. And it’s not just about you - it’s about the other drivers, too. Many of then are not all that smart and can possibly do something that would cause an accident.
JoyceJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:24 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Carry the chains and never use them. Park and wait the storm out. If chains are required there is a reason and you don't want to be there.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:44 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Passenger Vehicles?
A chain law restriction for vehicles weighing less than 16,001 pounds—including passenger vehicles, crossovers, SUVs and small trucks—can be put into effect in Colorado at any time when weather conditions are severe, primarily on roadways with significant ascending and descending grades.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel