Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2018, 06:18 PM   #1

Travel trailer length ?

Hello so I can’t decide what length of trailer I should go with. I will post links to both campers. One camper is 32ft and the other is 28’ 3”. It is just myself and my girlfriend and a dog. But there might be the odd time where there is another adult camping with us. I also do a lot of back road camping where I have had my fifth wheel bottom out. So I am wondering if the longer one would be that much more prone to dragging bottom ? I would like the shorter one for the ease of towing proposes but the longer trailer offers a lot more space inside. My tow vehicle is a 2012 3500 gmc 6.0L. Curious how the longer one would pull? I’m also curious to what most campsites allow for length? Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks

2017 Keystone RV Outback Ultra-Lite Series M-240 URS Specs and Standard Equipment | NADAguides

2012 Keystone Outback 280RS Trailer : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide
Summit151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2018, 06:29 PM   #2

We have a 35’ motorhome and a 15’ toad.

Never had a problem fitting in a campground yet. The overhang of many RV’s isn’t always determined by the total length.....it’s where the axle is, and how much unit they build after that point. Your shorter trailer might hit bottom before the longer one based on how much real estate hangs out the back.

What’s more important.....ease of towing (if you travel a lot), or living space when camping?
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #3

My trailer is 28'8". Why? Because Mrs Freqz can get her Forrester in the garage with it parked back there. It's more than enough for me solo (working) and adequate for the kinds of trips when my wife and two boys get to come along.

It'd be a little tight if it were any longer and parking at home >> parking at a storage facility.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:28 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Many state and national parks limit trailers to 26' but people have figured out how to fool the on-line registry allowing bigger rigs. Just do your homework because if you can't fit it will mean you can't stay. And maneuvering in some older campgrounds may be tight.

Private campgrounds usually have less restrictions on length but sometimes on age of camper if over 10 years.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:33 PM   #5

Thanks for the input so far. I really don’t spend a whole lot of time in the camper just mainly sleeping but the longer trailer
Has a dinette slide out which would be a nice feature if you get 2 adults in the camper together
Summit151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Many state and national parks limit trailers to 26'
We definitely have not found that 26' limit. We've been in many national forest campground, state parks, Corp of Engineer parks, county, city and national parks including Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier, Rocky Mtn. Zion, Grand Canyon, Arches, Bryce and others with our 40' motorhome towing the Jeep.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:36 PM   #7

The shortest max length I could find for California State Parks is 15 feet. That surprised me.

For California State Park length limits see:

Maximum Trailer and RV Lengths

Other states have different restrictions.

Sometimes the length limit is because the access road has a lot of tight turns with trees adjacent to the road.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:24 AM   #8

Very qualified to answer this.

I had Nash 23D around 28 foot with my cargo carrier. It had been a wonderful hunting, fishing and traveling with buddies trailer. Fit everywhere I wanted to go. Fit me and my dog wonderfully.

My darling, another dog and I took a trip to Alaska this past summer we came back to Oregon and bought an ORV 280RKS at around 34 feet. I have to be a little more selective now on campsites and spots. It gets a lot tighter going around corners and a little more careful going through towns. It does pull easier with a longer trailer and better weight distribution, there is more tank space and it has more room inside. I love this trailer a whole lot more. More room, plenty of seating, large kitchen plus even more room. It can fit with overhang in a 30 foot spot but remember you still have to park the truck. Had to pay extra space parking once for truck.

I full heartedly suggest going with the bigger it really pays off on rainy days. I would look more at the ORV and Northwoods. I have had no problems with bottoming out due to the height. Your truck should pull like a charm, I tow my trailer with a 3/4 ton and it does well, but would have loved the diesel more than the gas engine.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:40 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Floor plan is more important than length. As far as towing and backing there will be very little difference in those two. When picking a campsite don't fudge the length you need because on a TT the stabilizer jacks are on the very back and need a solid surface to do their job. Motorhomes and fifth wheels can overhang the site a considerable amount more because their jacks are much closer to the axles.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:44 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We definitely have not found that 26' limit. We've been in many national forest campground, state parks, Corp of Engineer parks, county, city and national parks including Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier, Rocky Mtn. Zion, Grand Canyon, Arches, Bryce and others with our 40' motorhome towing the Jeep.
I have seen 35' a lot but never 26' . My fifth wheel is actually 38' but I can fit in a 35' site pretty easy. Parking the tow vehicle is sometimes a challenge though.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
I have seen 35' a lot but never 26' . My fifth wheel is actually 38' but I can fit in a 35' site pretty easy. Parking the tow vehicle is sometimes a challenge though.
There definitely are FS, BLM, and NPS sites with limits much less than 35’. One of our favorite places south of Bozeman, MT limits to 30’, and they mean it! We barely fit with our trailer which is just shy of 30’ to hitch to bumper. Some of the popular places in the Wasatch Mountains east of SLC and the Uintah Mountains north of SLC have limits that really restrict them to tear drops, truck campers, and Class Bs. Yellowstone has a number of NPS campgrounds with a 30’ limit. This isn’t to discourage anyone from camping in a bigger unit, but be aware and check before you make plans. One of our big adjustments in moving from the travel trailer to a much bigger motorhome is the limitation in campgrounds. All of the ones with limits have alternatives though.
UTTransplant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:05 PM   #12

If you are worried about dragging the bumper/tail, just have a good welder make you a couple of skid bars so you drag them and not the jacks/bumper. Or a pair of stout wheels, again mounted by a good welder.
As to the length and getting into sites--you will find a lot of help on the websites of the FS on length, but that won't tell you about the tree/rock they put in the way of backing in.
You will have the TT for a while, get what makes you feel comfortable inside, then worry about where to take it.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:56 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Summit151".....MOST people don't regret buying longer than shorter. Extra space is always nicer. It sounds like your big concern is dragging while traversing more remote spots. One thing you should look at is the actual overhang of the two trailers before you make a decision. It's quite possible that the longer trailer could have the axles set farther back and has less overhang.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:30 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another consideration is the clearance. Are the springs underslung or overslung on the axles. That can make 5 - 6 inches difference in clearance and may mean dragging the rear or not. Do follow Wingnuts recommendations for drag bars or wheels.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer