Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2020, 09:11 PM   #1

Travel trailer vs. Motorhome with toad?

What would be the better choice, to buy a truck and a travel trailer or to buy a Class C and a toad?
Not sure if the total lengths would similar or if one is easier to drive, but it kinda looks like TT cost less and are more spacious.
I have never owned an RV so excuse my ignorance.
Alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 09:23 PM   #2

to confuse you even more don't forget fifth wheels.

I started with a travel trailer (too small) then a couple of fifth wheels (last one too big with its required dually); now on to a class a pulling a toad.

We eliminated the class c due to it being a smaller buggy with lower cargo capacity and lesser tow capability.

Each has its advantages / disadvantages but I will say - for us - each one improved upon the previous.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:37 PM   #3
Cat

Its all trade offs. Some buy small class c and don't tow. Some buy large Cs and tow. If you buy new-- truck and a trailer its the same as buying a nice Class C. If want to buy a large trailer you'll need a larger truck.
If you buy used then its the same considerations.
Nice thing about MHs A or C you don't have to get out when you stop on the road and you need a drink or to go to the bathroom. Also when you stop for the night its already warmed up or cooled off depending on the weather. Most not all MHs will have a generator which is nice to have.

My strong suggestion is find what you think you will enjoy and buy it used. The depreciation on all RVs is scary. If you buy new then decide its to small or you want to change RV types you wont lose as much money. Buy used 2-4 years old that why they should be new enough to be in good shape. Having basic wrenching and handy man skills makes life a lot easier. But my strongest recommendation is buy USED. THEN UP GRADE LATTER AFTER YOU HAVE a better feel for what you want. Shop shop shop around. Good luck let us know what you decide. Safe Travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:44 PM   #4

Quote:
We eliminated the class c due to it being a smaller buggy with lower cargo capacity and lesser tow capability.
You have two engines, drive trains, tires, wheels and everything else with a Class A or C and a towed. That and the lack of space (in a C) sent us to trailers and a fiver for several years. We moved back to a TT now that the kids are gone and are happy with it. Class C 'can' better for back country camping they say. If you get the right one.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:16 AM   #5

You mentioned that you have never done this before so my suggestion is that you purchase NOTHING, for your first experiences rent the equipment for short periods of time like 1 weekend at a time, do this for your first season and be sure to try as many types of different rv combinations that you can and then decide.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:53 AM   #6

Generally the price of a motorhome is so much more than a travel trailer that fact usually determines which type a person selects.

However I have seen TT as big as the biggest gas motorhomes.

If price is a consideration you may find the biggest TT combined with a truck that can pull it may cost almost the same as a gas motorhome. Bigger motorhomes will probably require a tow car to get out and enjoy the area you're visiting. That's not necessary if you're pulling a TT with a truck.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:12 AM   #7

The choice is up to the user. If you are new to RV'ing, find a unit to rent for a long weekend and see how you like it. May cost a few bucks, but could save you lots of bucks.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:17 AM   #8

I dont need a large RV it will only be me. But, I do not want a small RV either.
I am hoping to travel across the the US and back, so its has to be comparable to a 25-30 ft class c interior size.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
You have two engines, drive trains, tires, wheels and everything else with a Class A or C and a towed. That and the lack of space (in a C) sent us to trailers and a fiver for several years. We moved back to a TT now that the kids are gone and are happy with it. Class C 'can' better for back country camping they say. If you get the right one.
That was something I had not thought of. I guess taking a TT off road might be more difficult than a class C. I would be camping by a lot of rivers along the way.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola and i View Post
You mentioned that you have never done this before so my suggestion is that you purchase NOTHING, for your first experiences rent the equipment for short periods of time like 1 weekend at a time, do this for your first season and be sure to try as many types of different rv combinations that you can and then decide.
Would it be possible to rent a truck with a hitch and a TT?
Old 12-03-2020, 05:43 AM   #11

You’re stepping off into a big decision with many forks in the road.

We are like most people and started with a TT, then a larger TT, then to a 5W and a bigger truck. We were staying in it over 120 nights a year and wasn’t happy with the build quality. We decided to move up in 5W but that had to have an even bigger truck and having a dually as a daily driver in DFW wasn’t my idea of fun. We ended up buying a used MH and a half ton pickup as a daily driver.

In my opinion service after the sale is the most important component, don’t buy from some place who won’t/can’t take care of it because you will have problems. It’s the nature of the beast.

Budget will be the primary guide in what you buy.
If you go the trailer route be sure your tow vehicle is much more than adequate.
Depreciation is a killer in RV’s so take your time and buy wisely.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:07 AM   #12

One of the smartest decisions you'll make is to RENT.

Expensive? Yes, indeed.

Experience? Priceless.
matcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:31 AM   #13

Another consideration is if you're in a state that charges a 'luxury' or 'property' tax on your vehicle's every year when you register.

The total value of a motorhome with toad will likely be higher resulting in higher annual taxes. Not all states do this so it may not matter in your state.

The same might be said for cost of insurance, the higher the total value the higher your insurance is going to be overall. That said, in my experience trailers have cheaper insurance based on a dollar value basis than anything with a drivetrain in it.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:18 AM   #14

Your answer may be easier if you already own a car that can be towed 4 down. We bought our current 34' class A two years ago for less money than many large pickup trucks.
We have owned two C's, a trailer/pickup, and now an A. The A is the best choice for us and we would not go back. But they all have pluses and minuses so it will depend on your needs and your needs will change over time. So do not even try to buy something for a lifetime because you will not really know what you want until you experience the lifestyle.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome, toad, trailer, travel, travel trailer