Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #1

Smile travel with COPD

I have COPD and just started using a portable oxygen concentrator. I have been told with an adapter it will run off a deep cycle battery. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this? Can I safely sit a battery in my bedroom (fumes) etc. Or do I have to get it wired from my main batteries up to an outlet. It runs from a cigarette type outlet. Many Thanks. Any help greatly appreciated. Paul

The Journey Continues
Sokcap48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
We are in the same boat.. not COPD.. but DW has an apparatus for Sleep Apnea. I need to find a way to run a batt connector into the bedroom for her machine. The "messy" alternative is.. my son gave me 4 or 5 very expensive non venting batts that are swapped out of a power supply for a large computer room. They would do the job with a simple power cord and are smaller and lighter than a conventional l2v
Old 05-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhite View Post
We are in the same boat.. not COPD.. but DW has an apparatus for Sleep Apnea. I need to find a way to run a batt connector into the bedroom for her machine. The "messy" alternative is.. my son gave me 4 or 5 very expensive non venting batts that are swapped out of a power supply for a large computer room. They would do the job with a simple power cord and are smaller and lighter than a conventional l2v
Same here, (not oxygen but a CPAP machine).
I run it directly from my house battery bank, (4 12v deep cycle),via a cig lighter socket which I added at the night stand on my side of the bed.
If the OP's oxygen concentrator will operate on 12VDC using a cig lighter adapter, a wire from the house batteries to a lighter socket is the answer.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a CPAP machine also, I went to the manufactures web site and purchased a 12 v adapter for my model, it was $29. +s/h I'm going to run a wire from panel box to the closet on my side of bed and install a 12v outlet
RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a concentrator in the rig for my DWs COPD and carry extra oxy. cylinders for emergencies or for boondocking.

I have also found the 12 volt cig socket at PepBoys works better than at some of the other stores.

Now if I could just get her out of the hospital, sigh.

Don G
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #6

Thanks for the ideas! How do I get the wires from the batteries run up thru the floor without a disaster. Not so sharp on the electric stuff. And does anyone know how long it will run on two good deep cycle batteries? Paul

The Journey Continues
Old 05-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I travel with CPAP machine and just plug it into the wall with 110. I just have the batteries charged when going to bed and mine last till morning, with no problems.
1940 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
12 volt receptacles will usually support 10 amp service, some "heavy duty" versions will support 15+ amps. To run wiring use one of the through feeds for electrical or plumbing.

My coach batteries are in the front above the generator. I wired directly to the coach batteries through an inline fuse and #10 wire to a 15amp power point. I mounted the receptacle at the passenger console.
We use an Sequal Eclipse for O2, and this location works well when underway. At night the concentrator is on 115volt, usually at the dinette with O2 tubing into the bedroom. The Sequal provides steady O2 flow from either power source. (Will also run on internal batteries)

Many portable O2 units only provide pulse flow which often is not acceptable/reliable for overnight.(Check with your doctor, he will have to test your O2 when sleeping and approve) Also pulse flow limits O2 tubing length to 7feet or unit will not trigger..

When underway, the alternator keeps the batteries charged, overnight- how long the batteries will work depends on battery Ampere hours and amp draw of the concentrator and any other loads, lights, fridge control, steps etc.
There are full size concentrators that will fit under the dinette and can be used when hooked to shore power. Your oxygen provider can help with your needs.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
12 volt receptacles will usually support 10 amp service, some "heavy duty" versions will support 15+ amps. To run wiring use one of the through feeds for electrical or plumbing.

My coach batteries are in the front above the generator. I wired directly to the coach batteries through an inline fuse and #10 wire to a 15amp power point. I mounted the receptacle at the passenger console.
We use an Sequal Eclipse for O2, and this location works well when underway. At night the concentrator is on 115volt, usually at the dinette with O2 tubing into the bedroom. The Sequal provides steady O2 flow from either power source. (Will also run on internal batteries)

Many portable O2 units only provide pulse flow which often is not acceptable/reliable for overnight.(Check with your doctor, he will have to test your O2 when sleeping and approve) Also pulse flow limits O2 tubing length to 7feet or unit will not trigger..

When underway, the alternator keeps the batteries charged, overnight- how long the batteries will work depends on battery Ampere hours and amp draw of the concentrator and any other loads, lights, fridge control, steps etc.
There are full size concentrators that will fit under the dinette and can be used when hooked to shore power. Your oxygen provider can help with your needs.
I have been on oxygen 24/7 for other last 5 years. If you do not have an inverter, you could take one of the 12 volt lights out and wire in a cigarette lighter/ power point socket. Also, if you have good portable, you can run up to 25 foot cannula hose, and use pulse oxygen. I have an inogen one G2. It has newer technology, and the pulse senses you breathing rate and oxygen demand.

If you still have questions, PM me
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokcap48 View Post
Thanks for the ideas! How do I get the wires from the batteries run up thru the floor without a disaster. Not so sharp on the electric stuff. And does anyone know how long it will run on two good deep cycle batteries? Paul
DW and I both use CPAPs. When off grid, I use an xPower battery that is portable and has an AC outlet. I use the DC side because I believe the draw is less. Why convert to AC then back to DC?

She uses a smaller battery pack - about 2 lbs. Either lasts us about 2 nights and no wiring needed. The size of battery will depend on how much your oxygen machine draws.

I prefer to save the coach battery for other needs. We can recharge these while driving or at the next CG with shore power.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #11

Hi folks I should have said I am talking about a fifthwheel. Thanks again for the ideas so far.

The Journey Continues
Old 05-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Hi folks I should have said I am talking about a fifthwheel. Thanks again for the ideas so far.
What kind of portable concentrator do you have. Look on the power supply, it will give you all the info you need. If you are going to spend time hooked up to electricity, it doesn't matter, if you at going to boondock or dry camp for more than one night, you will need a generator to recharge your batteries. You can always go with solar, but the initial expense is a out 4 times what a generator will cost.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #13

oxy or c-pap

I use a c-pap machine. I wired in a lighter plug from a 12v light right above the bed. I put the plug right beside the light (maybe 3" over), the cpap machine stores in the cupboard right above the bed. I unplug it during the day and plug it in at night,only down fall is having to leave the door cracked open for the hose. C-pap rides in the cupboard while traveling.
jimbo882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Paul, what kind of RV are we talking about here?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel