Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2015, 01:53 PM   #1

Traveling in Virginia Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64

OK, I'm baffled. Before I call the State of Virginia and get 15 prompts trying to get the information I want, I'll ask here on the Forum from someone who has traveled the I-64 from Hampton into Norfork and has practical experience.
The regulations I've downloaded from the virginiadot.org website indicate that a "motor home" must stop to have propane tanks checked. I'm guessing that is in reference to a fixed propane tank system. What about trailers?
I travel I-10 through Mobile, Alabama frequently and have never turned off my propane tanks traveling the Mobile Bay tunnel.
If it is required to turn off the propane, which is not a problem, is there a pull off where we can safely do that?
Is there someone who is going to check to insure the tanks are off? If so, where?
Thanks in advance.
thetravelkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have drove through those tunnels an all RVs with propane tanks must stop and you have to show the inspector it is off. They will not touch it. I asked why and was told they are not allowed to but watch the driver do this. I asked what about trucks and cars that uses propane and was told that is a slippery slope. If you cannot turn off the you take the long way but the lady told me at the end they were smelling the air around for gas leak. My commit to her is why don't you use a sniffer and she said they do the nose.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #3

I have not been through that one. Where I have gone through there might be a sign posted at the toll plaza and there might be an inspector there. Easiest to just turn it off before getting to the toll plaza. As long as it is left closed the refrigerator can sit for a few hours turned off.

FWIW the only place I have heard they are prohibited is around Baltimore.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
I have drove through those tunnels an all RVs with propane tanks must stop and you have to show the inspector it is off.
Thanks for the insight....I'm "assuming" there is a pull off or ??? to have the tanks checked?
Bob
Old 05-24-2015, 04:05 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
There are lanes you will be directed to by signage as you approach the tunnels. The signs will say something like "All campers and hazmat stay in right lane." You pull off, the guy or lady comes out and watches you turn your tanks off. Doesn't matter if it's a motorhome or pop-up. All have to be turned off.

When you emerge on the other side, you will find a place to pull over and turn the tank back on if you need to. There are no signs pointing to such a pullover site, you kinda have to make one of your own on a wide shoulder. I usually continue on to a rest area rather than expose myself on the side of the road.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
There are lanes you will be directed to by signage as you approach the tunnels. The signs will say something like "All campers and hazmat stay in right lane." You pull off, the guy or lady comes out and watches you turn your tanks off. Doesn't matter if it's a motorhome or pop-up. All have to be turned off.

When you emerge on the other side, you will find a place to pull over and turn the tank back on if you need to. There are no signs pointing to such a pullover site, you kinda have to make one of your own on a wide shoulder. I usually continue on to a rest area rather than expose myself on the side of the road.
Thanks USMCRET!!...that is what I would have hoped to see.
I went on Google Earth but couldn't find any sign or pull off in my search.
Looking forward to our visit to Onslow Beach at Camp Lejeune. Hope this old Coastie doesn't get to much grief.
Bob
Old 05-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #7

There is an inspection station to pull off. We lived in that area for 20 plus years. We pulled over the first time we towed and from that time on, we just left our propane off until we reached our first rest area stop and turned it back on. We never stopped at the inspection station again. They only care that your propane is off and we were given permission to skip the inspection station.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:42 AM   #8

Thanks to all who replied to my post. I did back-track a bit further using Google Earth and found the signs that USMCRET posted about and also found the turn-off with the inspection station jpharley mentioned.
Looks like a non-issue.

Tags
travel