Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2021, 03:57 PM   #1

Traveling to California

New member; old timer LOL. My wife and I plan to put our motorhome back on the road, and a trip to California is one of our goals. I need to know it there are any restrictions about carrying firearms in my coach to cross into California. Also, we have a couple of parrots, will that be a problem?
ACEpersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2021, 06:57 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. Parrots no problem. Firearms may be a big deal. Check the various state laws for states you will be traveling through.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good information to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add information if you can.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:33 PM   #3

CA .....firearm must be unloaded, secured in a 'locked container' and separate from the ammo
https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

Personally --- I lived in CA for 30+Yrs
Traveled all over the state for shooting competitions. Traveled FT for 7 yrs all over the USA
Weapons traveled with us....nobody KNEW we had weapons cause WE didn't go banishing them about, tell any one we had them, displayed them etc etc etc.
Shush!

A unloaded, locked weapon is nothing more then a 'fancy' rock and harder to throw accurately.
My personal take on it.......

CA is just a State----US Citizens are FREE to travel to/from ....do not need no stinking papers

CA requires Veterinarian Certificates for many animals and livestock but Parrots are NOT on the list
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:39 PM   #4

As a CA resident, and firearms owner, here's what I do: When actually motoring, meaning driving the RV, the guns stay locked in a lockable case out of reach of the driver. When hooked up to a campsite the guns are not locked in a lockable case. California recognizes an RV connected to shore power as a "domicile", and you are legally allowed to carry in it. I am not a lawyer, and there are many intricacies to the law that a police officer may, or may not, be familiar with. Best case is just to keep them locked away in a place that isn't easily discoverable.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:41 AM   #5

Even in Cali, they need "probable cause" to do a strip search of your vehicle. But occasionally they have dogs at the border check stations that could alert to your vehicle causing one of those searches. Cali does not like high cap mags or suppressors. They could possible get you in trouble if detected. Also be aware southern Cali is still a Covid hotspot and their governor still has most activities a tourist would do curtailed. All subject to change hour by hour.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:01 AM   #6

You will get stopped at the border. Might want to let your co-pilot know.

"How are you doing today, sir? Got any fruits or vegetables?"
"HE HAS GUNS!"
Old 02-21-2021, 08:12 AM   #7

Sir, you cannot reason with him when he has been drinking.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaDave View Post
You will get stopped at the border. Might want to let your co-pilot know.

"How are you doing today, sir? Got any fruits or vegetables?"
"HE HAS GUNS!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Sir, you cannot reason with him when he has been drinking.
LOL, gotta love it!

Seriously, lots of misconceptions about Ca., but Old-Biscuit really summed it up correctly.

The border check points are for agricultural inspections only, never encountered questions about anything else including pets, and certainly not weapons.

Once inside the state, you may encounter an immigration check point, depending on your route. Again, those locations, when in operation, wave through probably 90+% of the vehicles. Their open/closed schedule is random due to the nature of the inspection, but it is only a traffic tie-up at the worst. If, for some very unusual reason, you are asked to pull out and have the vehicle searched, that would be the time to inform the agents of the weapon and its location.

My friends who are gun owners simply follow the rules posted by O-B. It's a simple "Don't ask, don't tell" situation. If you are stopped anywhere for a traffic or equipment violation, you will not be asked about weapons unless the officer has some special, personal interest. It is not a routine question. If there is a request to search the vehicle, and I cannot imagine why, then it would be a good idea to inform the officer of the weapon and its location, just like at the immigration check.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:00 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

I agree with the advice Old Biscuit gave you. I won't go anywhere without protection. I would join USCCA or some other organization that will give you any advice needed about gun laws, and will provide legal help if you get in trouble!

I would suggest that you create a signature showing the make and model of your RV. This will make it easier for folks to help with any questions you may have. Below is a link showing how to do that! Look at post #30.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/foru...ml#post3101035

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:15 AM   #10

First I'm a No Firearms Guy - except for Hunting - Let me try to Understand the reasoning for having if not for sport????????????????

Locked up

Out of Reach

Unloaded

Ammo is in a different secure location

Someone comes at You and You need your Gun

Do you ask them to wait the 20-30 minutes the gathering, unlocking. finding, loading takes. -

Did I miss something,

Think my Baseball Bat might just be Better -
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
First I'm a No Firearms Guy - except for Hunting - Let me try to Understand the reasoning for having if not for sport????????????????

Locked up

Out of Reach

Unloaded

Ammo is in a different secure location

Someone comes at You and You need your Gun

Do you ask them to wait the 20-30 minutes the gathering, unlocking. finding, loading takes. -

Did I miss something,

Think my Baseball Bat might just be Better -
Yes, you missed something.

I don't own firearms either, but the regulations mentioned are for transportation inside a vehicle, not for personal protection when camping. For those who own weapons for protection, they simply need to be aware of California's rules when transporting.

I guess if you get car-jacked, your scenario could play-out and a baseball bat would be better.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Yes, you missed something.

I don't own firearms either, but the regulations mentioned are for transportation inside a vehicle, not for personal protection when camping. For those who own weapons for protection, they simply need to be aware of California's rules when transporting.

I guess if you get car-jacked, your scenario could play-out and a baseball bat would be better.

Thanks for your Support ? -

Sort of like the saying "When seconds count, cops are minutes away."

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:52 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
LOL, gotta love it!

Seriously, lots of misconceptions about Ca., but Old-Biscuit really summed it up correctly.

The border check points are for agricultural inspections only, never encountered questions about anything else including pets, and certainly not weapons.

Once inside the state, you may encounter an immigration check point, depending on your route. Again, those locations, when in operation, wave through probably 90+% of the vehicles. Their open/closed schedule is random due to the nature of the inspection, but it is only a traffic tie-up at the worst. If, for some very unusual reason, you are asked to pull out and have the vehicle searched, that would be the time to inform the agents of the weapon and its location.

My friends who are gun owners simply follow the rules posted by O-B. It's a simple "Don't ask, don't tell" situation. If you are stopped anywhere for a traffic or equipment violation, you will not be asked about weapons unless the officer has some special, personal interest. It is not a routine question. If there is a request to search the vehicle, and I cannot imagine why, then it would be a good idea to inform the officer of the weapon and its location, just like at the immigration check.

If there is a request??? Tell the Officer you don’t consent to a search. Refusing consent cannot be used as probable cause. If they have probable cause they don’t need to ask.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
If there is a request??? Tell the Officer you don’t consent to a search. Refusing consent cannot be used as probable cause. If they have probable cause they don’t need to ask.
You are right, of course, you don't need to comply with a request.

Tags
california, travel