Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2020, 05:57 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Traveling to the Grand Canyon, AZ.

Researching for a possible RV trip this Spring to the Grand Canyon in our RV. We have travelled there by car before and stayed at Williams?

Anybody have good recommendations on RV camps inside or outside near GC?

Has anybody done any of the float trips?

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2020, 06:24 PM   #2
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Trailer Village. In the park. https://www.visitgrandcanyon.com/tra...illage-rv-park
Old 09-29-2020, 08:00 PM   #3

If you can get in at Kaibab Lake Campground it is nice and quiet. Down side for some is no hook-ups. It is just off the road to the GC about 1/2 mile north of I-17.
There are a couple of rv parks in Williams.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:21 PM   #4

2-3 campgrounds in Williams Kaibab Lake as mentioned above Boondocking S & N of Williams. East entrance was closed last week. We spent a week at Jacob Lake, on the N side.

As for the river trip: What a wonderful trip. Met the rubber boat at Phantom Ranch, spent several night on the river and departed near Lake Mead for a bumpy ride back to the S rim. My wife did the trip from Lee's Ferry which is about twice as long and we met up at Phantom Ranch.

There is a private park with hookups and a Fed park w/o, near Jacob Lake. Jacob Lake is almost dry.

The most beautiful part of the canyon is from the rim. I have hiked rim to rim. The deeper you get the less you see.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:36 PM   #5

For the best overall experience stay IN the park itself. There are 3 campgrounds; 2 dry - Mather & Desert View and a full hookup - Trailer Village.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/camping.htm

We did the raft trip through the canyon. It was a 9-day trip and totally awesome!!! A once in a lifetime thing. You need to sign up about a year in advance, maybe more. There are various ways of doing it: we hiked down the Bright Angel Trail to the river to pick up the trip. We replaced those who started at Lee's Ferry and ended at the Bright Angel Trail. They had to hike up the trail to get out. Others did the whole trip - 15 days, I believe it is. We did the oar boats. There are also motorized boats. We slept under the stars nightly except for night one- no tent; although one was issued. After night one everyone ditched the tents. Excellent food. I'd highly recommend the trip.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:44 PM   #6

Over the summer of 2020 we found HWY64 closed.

This is the road from the South Rim to HWY89 and it passes thru an Indian Reservation. So you should check on this or you will find your route will take 3 hours longer when you detour.
TM2H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:23 AM   #7

Trailer Village puts you at the center of all that is the south rim. Shuttle buses at the campground entrance so no need to drive anywhere.
OldStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:52 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How is the elevation to the Grand Canyon

OK, that brings up more questions. Coming from Oklahoma, what/when/where do you start to drive in mountains? What kind of % of grade are you dealing with to get to Trailer Village near South Rim?

Do you find poisonous snakes/scorpions?

From Trailer Village how do you get to the rafting?

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segrieve View Post
OK, that brings up more questions. Coming from Oklahoma, what/when/where do you start to drive in mountains? What kind of % of grade are you dealing with to get to Trailer Village near South Rim?

Do you find poisonous snakes/scorpions?

Thanks.

Mountain driving: Some 6% downhill (I-40) west of Flag.
Snakes/Scorpions: Yes/Yes both are all over AZ
Rafting: I have always hiked, maybe mules, but you would need to verify.

Note: 13 miles of 6% downhill, pretty steady on I-17 S of Flag. Coming from OK, you will also hit 6% downhill for several miles on I 40 as you enter Albuquerque from either direction.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segrieve View Post

Read my post above. Google a Grand Canyon rafting company for more details. It's not something you can do on a whim. You need far-advanced planning.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:24 PM   #11

If you like dry camping consider Mather Campground inside the park, though they have a 31 ft max length limit at the sites, and only a handful of sites listed as fitting coaches between 28-31 ft. We stayed there a year ago, in our 28 ft Safari Trek (29'5" bumper to bumper), and had no problem fitting into a site that was officially listed as a 27 ft pull through, which was an arched pull through about 70 ft long. (Aspen Loop site 44), though I would not have wanted to much longer getting into it due to the cut angle and boulders, as we did have to back and cut once to get into the site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mather-site-44.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	585.3 KB
ID:	303058  
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:16 PM   #12

Stayed in Trailer Village a few years ago. Wouldn't do it any other way. I have a 31' TT and was a little concerned with the reservations I made. But had plenty of room once I unhooked. The Village is central to all on the South rim. I didn't do any float trips. But we checked on the Donkeys down in the Canyon. Better plan over a year out with reservations.
A Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:25 PM   #13

A lot depends on when you go, the site we booked at Mather campground shown above was booked just 6 weeks in advance for 3 nights starting on a Saturday night in mid October of last year. Though I will admit to get this site required shuffling our schedule, we had originally planned on doin the Grand Canyon first then Page, AZ second, those two stops had to be reversed to get the site at Mather Campground (dry camping), Trailer Village with full hookups is about 1/4 mile away as the crow flies, or about 3/4 mile by road, Trailer Village had openings for both dates..
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:41 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We stayed at the Trailer Village RV Park (Concessionaire Operated) inside the GC National Park. FHU and everything was close, shuttle buses run from CG office to different parts of the South Rim. We drove out of the park to Tusayan, just south of the park, and ate at a great steakhouse.

Location is everything. It's a boring 1 hour drive from Williams & I-40 to the GCNP entrance. Next time, we will stay at a CG around Williams and take the Grand Canyon Railroad up into the park.

Tags
travel