Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2021, 06:18 PM   #43

Or you can do what I do, set your GPS to no tolls and not have to worry about it. I can usually find a route that is no more that a half hour longer without paying tolls. Much of it is just my aversion to paying tolls, especially to states like Indiana that has sold off their toll roads to private enterprise. In the case of Indiana, a foreign-owned company. Slow down, smell the roses and see small town America, that's one of the major reasons I travel.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2021, 06:22 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Or you can do what I do, set your GPS to no tolls and not have to worry about it. I can usually find a route that is no more that a half hour longer without paying tolls. Much of it is just my aversion to paying tolls, especially to states like Indiana that has sold off their toll roads to private enterprise. In the case of Indiana, a foreign-owned company. Slow down, smell the roses and see small town America, that's one of the major reasons I travel.
Does your GPS call out bridge clearances and or weight limits?
Old 09-05-2021, 07:21 PM   #45

I'm considering swapping my Sunpass for a Sunpass PRO, which would expand the number of states we could use it in.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:39 PM   #46

I carry cash if I am forced onto toll roads because most do not accept credit cards. We also look for alternatives to toll roads to save on expense. IMO if you can avoid them great. Otherwise keep a lot of cash on hand you will need it. I know PA is expensive. I was glad that I got the toll road bill in the mail during the virus scare. Paid it thru my on line bank account and done. So happy trails. Thats what we do. Carry cash.
crazylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:50 PM   #47

Try FastToll, easy and works every where.
bluemoontwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:11 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwdnet View Post
I'm considering swapping my Sunpass for a Sunpass PRO, which would expand the number of states we could use it in.
If you get the Sunpass pro and tow anything outside the state of Florida, that transponder won't work for you. You have to get another transponder for the total number of axles you'll have. Sunpass suggests getting the N.C. Quick pass. I have a MA EZpass transponder for my (over 7,000#) MH and another transponder for the MH towing my F150. I have a 3rd MA transponder for the F150 or my wife's Mazda SUV.

In MA all I need to use is the MH transponder and it will pick up the toad if I'm pulling one, but in other states I have to use the transponder for MH and toad if I'm towing.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:22 PM   #49
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterFTH View Post
E-Pass - device called a Uni ($20 on Amazon). Good in 18 states unlike the others which are good in only one state, or a few states. Put $50 on account, when it is down to $10 they "refill" it. Can be transferred to different vehicles IF you go on line and change the plate and vehicle type ... I've used it in my car, my motorcycle, and my RV. Stumbled on it while trying to obtain a Sun Pass for my motorcycle and they - get this - didn't have any. 6 week wait. E-Pass is the way to go.

Another vote for Florida's Uni. I've moved it between the toad and the motorhome, and it's registered to the motorhome, and been charged correctly every time.

I live in Ohio.

I had a problem with the old version, the E-Pass Xtra not always working. Cfxway was very prompt on the emailed query, sent a new Uni out immediately, and made sure I was charged correctly in the states where the transponder had malfunctioned.

Ray
Old 09-05-2021, 09:38 PM   #50

We got the Uni-toll works with Ezpass locations as we.l as Georgia,Florida and North Carolina. Ordered it from Amazon.
Here’s a video by changing lanes
https://youtu.be/SAhup_b-9mE
Vince5764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:38 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
We have been traveling in Texas and Kansas enroute to Colorado several times a year and found that K-TAG was the only option when we looked at it several years ago that would work in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. I understand there is now some sort of reciprocal agreement between these states in place now.

We haven't traveled much in other states with toll road options but it sure would be nice to have a universal pass of some sort.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:46 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Does your GPS call out bridge clearances and or weight limits?
No it does not but that information is available elsewhere. If you stick to US and state highways that becomes much less of an issue although it doesn't completely disappear.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:48 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylady View Post
I carry cash if I am forced onto toll roads because most do not accept credit cards. We also look for alternatives to toll roads to save on expense. IMO if you can avoid them great. Otherwise keep a lot of cash on hand you will need it. I know PA is expensive. I was glad that I got the toll road bill in the mail during the virus scare. Paid it thru my on line bank account and done. So happy trails. Thats what we do. Carry cash.
The Illinois Tollway no longer accepts cash and trying to pay them by any other means except for a transponder is a nightmare. I've had to do it twice in the last year and I will never do it again!
Old 09-06-2021, 05:37 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylady View Post
Illinois and New York (at least) no longer accept cash. More states will go that way over time. Cash is not what it used to be.

I've been happy with my PA EZ-Pass, but my RV GVWR falls into Class 2, still within their non-commercial range. PA gets expensive if you're Class 3 or above, so one has to look at the different state costs and restrictions to find the best EZ-Pass.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:06 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
No it does not but that information is available elsewhere. If you stick to US and state highways that becomes much less of an issue although it doesn't completely disappear.
Lots of low clearance railroad overpasses out there on state routes. PA for sure has them. YouTube is littered with the results.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:29 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Traveling Tolls

We use CFX (central Florida expressway ) Uni pass , formerly e-pass , works everywhere in the east. 19 states … I registered it with my toad but in combination with the motorhome it has always billed properly for the number of axles. I never mess with changing it . Never been questioned. No messing with “commercial” accounts etc Buy the transponder once online 15 bucks no recurring charges ever. Establish an account and fund a small amount ,20 bucks in my case but $10 is the minimum , that auto refills in the same increments from my cash back credit card as it pays down. Nothing simpler.
To be clear many have gone cashless, all of those are normally bill by plate if you don’t have a transponder. They photo your license plate and mail you a bill with some service charges for doing so.

Tags
travel