Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #1

traveling with small children

Hello,
I am new to this site and also new to rving. last year my wife and bought a 1995 geogie boy pursuit 32 feet with a 454 gas motor in it. We took it on a camping trip to cape may nj and to a local campsite for halloween. This year we are planning a trip to the outer banks nc. I think we have narrowed it down to 2 campgrounds one is camp hatteras and the other is a koa. The camp grounds are about a 1/4 mile apart and both look to be clean and safe for a family. My question is to any one that has camped there with children which would you recommend and why.

We are traveling about 515 miles one way and would like to have some more info from people who have been there. The biggest things that we are looking for is things for the kids to do besides going and playing at the ocean all day. My boys will be 2 1/2 years and 10 months when we are planning to go so given there age they can not be out in the sun all day anyway.

Thanks again for all your experience with this i do appreciate all the advise i can get to make the most out of this trip. My wife and i have been there several times before and kind of know the area. however this will be our first trip there with our children and with the mh. Thanks again
Brian313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #2

When we traveled with our kids years ago I found the trip itself to be the hardest part. I installed a 12 volt TV along with a VCR and that kept them entertained for hours. Of course stopping once in a while to let them out to run a bit always helped too. You'll know when its time to that. We never had many problems once we got to the campground. The KOAs we stayed at always had lot's of activities for kids.
rumrunnerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian313 View Post
Hello,
I am new to this site and also new to rving. last year my wife and bought a 1995 geogie boy pursuit 32 feet with a 454 gas motor in it. We took it on a camping trip to cape may nj and to a local campsite for halloween. This year we are planning a trip to the outer banks nc. I think we have narrowed it down to 2 campgrounds one is camp hatteras and the other is a koa. The camp grounds are about a 1/4 mile apart and both look to be clean and safe for a family. My question is to any one that has camped there with children which would you recommend and why.

We are traveling about 515 miles one way and would like to have some more info from people who have been there. The biggest things that we are looking for is things for the kids to do besides going and playing at the ocean all day. My boys will be 2 1/2 years and 10 months when we are planning to go so given there age they can not be out in the sun all day anyway.

Thanks again for all your experience with this i do appreciate all the advise i can get to make the most out of this trip. My wife and i have been there several times before and kind of know the area. however this will be our first trip there with our children and with the mh. Thanks again

Brian313, Welcome to iRV2!

I cannot help you but there are links here in the forum to reviews of the campsites and a treasure trove of information from fellow users here on the forum.

Keep us posted on your discoveries along the road and again, Welcome!

Old 01-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #4

As for the travel part this is what we do with our 7 & 8 year olds. They each have their own DVD player so they can watch a video, have toys they can play with in their seats, or Mom sits with them in the dinette and plays games. Make sure you have easy snacks, drinks, etc. to keep them happy. They now have their DS's to entertain themself. But 3 years ago they had their own toys and such to keep them happy. On longer trips we stopped every couple of hours to stretch (and for dad to use bathroom). I would agree that the trip will be the hardest.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the wonderful time of RVing with children.
I do hope that your dear children will be traveling in an approved child seats.
Since you will be having great family time together why not tell your children stories about their grand parents, or stories about yourselves when you were their age?
Hope you will have many years of joyful miles in your RV.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #6

Go for it!

Ok, I got that out...

I started travelling when I had a 6 month old and a 2 year old. It had it's challenges, but we have continued since then and the boys LOVE it.

Do your best to get them involved as early as possible "helping out"
TDInewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:56 AM   #7

Our first trip in our "new" mh was with a 18 month old and a 1 month old. We had a blast. Now its getting time to travel again and I'm hoping that this trip will be as much fun as the last one. I've read all the reviews for both campgrounds and still can't decide. Can someone point me in the right direction. As it stands now it looks like we will be staying at the koa campground. From what the internet has to show they look like the most child friendly place. I think while we are there I'm going to check out the other campgrounds in the area. Heres to hoping the weather is good over the week of memorial day.
Brian313 is offline   Reply With Quote